• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

If I do this, would you recommend I get a...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
New here! Thank you in advance for any information and help! This place really has been so helpful in all areas since getting my parrotlet.
:bpletm:

Okay, so I have a Parrotlet named Cosmo, who I adore. I know I have read many things about parrotlets being mostly loners, and territorial, but I have to say this doesn't seem to ring true for him. He has learned my tablet contains the magical portal of YouTube which is filled with birds and whenever I have it out he flies over and taps at the screen until I agree to play him some Burb videos. He is doing so now! Cosmo says Hi y'all! He will then sit and chatter away happily and watch. He goes crazy at the window calling out when he sees birds out at my bird feeders. Maybe it is in my head, but he seems to be saying, "You are great and all, but I need some feathered friends." lol

I really had planned to only have him, but I have been considering getting another bird if it will add to his (and my own) happiness. I have read up on quarantine, separate cages, etc. But I am just not sure about it still. So I have come seeking experiences from others that have parrotlets in their flock? What kinds of birds do you have? How is life with them? Tell me stories! Is this a terrible idea? Or a good one?

I am not looking to breed him, so I am not sure about having another parrotlet. I was considering either a Bourke Rosey Grass parakeet (they seem the opposite of parrotlets in personality though) or maybe a budgie. I did look at bigger birds. Caiques are adorable! But I think I am sticking with small fellas if we do this. Will Cosmo only be happy with another parrotlet in the room? Will either a budgie or a bourke be better suited if I go that route? Are there other small birds I should be considering?

Talk me in or out of this lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You're best bet is another parrotlet. Your bird is still young, which means he may not have been through puberty yet. Once he does, you may find that he gets a little more stubborn and cage territorial. You need a bird that is just as fiesty to hold their own, but that can't injure Cosmo.

Many of the other birds that are in the same size range as a parrotlet are really laid back and susceptible to being bullied

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi,
As the owner of both budgies and a parrotlet, I would advise against getting birds from another species. Small birds would be bullied, bigger birds would hurt him.
My parrotlet bullies the budgies and managed to bite both of them to blood once. I saw in our local Craiglist someone selling their parrotlet because she didn't go along with their love birds and they had to give them separate flying time. That's what I am doing too, really have to keep Twitter under supervision if he is anywhere near the budgies. The older one knows Twitter well enough and Twitter is OK with him (most of the time) but the youngest one arrived 2.5 months ago and he really can't accept her, chases her all the time and bullies her, so then he is sent in detention to the kitchen. Although I appreciate that he enjoys that the budgies are here and would probably feel a bit lonely without their presence in the house, he can't really make friends with them...

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Your best bet is another parrotlet:) Then you have the biggest chance of them becoming friends and also the smallest chance of injuries.

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
Good advice, thank you all. Oooffh. I am not sure about having a second parrotlet...as much as I love him... I'll have to think this over a lot more.

Anyway to make him less lonely without a second bird? I spend as much time with him as I can, he has his big bird mansion and plenty of toys...will he seem more content to be a lone bird as he gets older I wonder?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Personally, I am afraid not. Lovies and p’lets are quite similair and nothing that I did Made him quite as happy as a second bird. When he came home I had a Tiel he bonded with, after he passed away he spend 9 months as a single bird(as did he before I got him), and then I brought home a second lovie. But, perhaps it Will be different for you. Personally I found though that they thrive best in pairs.

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
Yeah. I was told by many (on Facebook) that if I was looking for a lone bird in the small catagory that a Parrotlet was the one. But this is proving not to be true. I will really have to think this over. I was hoping to get a less nippy bird, so that my significant other could handle them more. My p'let isn't for the faint of heart haha.

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
Sorry this post is huge. I had too much to say :lol:

Parrotlets are totally fine on their own. Getting a second bird should always be because you want a second bird, not because you want Cosmo to have a friend. With small species other than parrotlets, it’s extremely likely for Cosmo to bully them even away from their cages. Something to watch out for. Chirping happily to YouTube videos is not the same thing as having another real bird around. You don’t know that Cosmo will like the new bird. Do you become friends with every human you meet?

If Cosmo is your first parrotlet, I recommend waiting a couple years so you can see what parrotlets are like through the phases of baby to teen puberty to adulthood. After living with a parrotlet for a couple years, you may find one is all you can handle :p. I also recommend getting a second male. With a male and female around each other, they will increase each other’s hormones.

My advice whenever people think about adding to their flock is to always think about worst case scenario. If you think worst case through and are ready/prepared to deal with it, you’ll be golden. What if Cosmo absolutely hates the second bird and has to be kept completely separate? Would you be okay with dealing with separate out of cage times? Do you have the time and ability to give two birds plenty of attention and out of cage time every day?

What if Cosmo bonds so closely with the second bird that he doesn’t want to spend time with you anymore/becomes less tame? Absolutely a real scenario that I have seen many times. Would you be okay losing your bond with Cosmo? Would you separate them to try to get your bond back?

I was really glad I thought those through before I brought Luka home because Milo has NEVER gotten along with Luka. Milo was perfectly happy being the king of the house and begrudges Luka for his unwelcome presence. They have always needed separate out of cage times. Milo and Luka were both babies when I brought Luka home. Milo was 4 months and Luka was 2 months. Milo is almost 2 years old now. He still opens his beak in warning of a bite when he sees Luka :mad: We have a schedule, and I try to make sure they get an equal amount of time out every day. I felt really guilty in the beginning for whoever was in their cage while the other was out. Milo felt a little better once he saw - with time - that Luka’s presence didn’t take away from his cuddles, treats, and love. Luka kinda wanted to be friends in the beginning but quickly changed his opinion when Milo said some really rude chirps that sounded like he was cursing Luka out :watching: Now Luka mostly ignores Milo.

Bourkes are very sweet but tend to be less cuddly than parrotlets. Though each is an individual. Budgies might be the best bet for your SO. I had a lovebird as a kid that was amazing. She was very sweet and loving.

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
Nope, don't be sorry, I love informative posts! :xflove:

I've read my partner everything you all have said and we are discussing. There is a lot to think over here!

Cosmo was supposed to be HIS bird. But, yeah, lol it did not work out that way. Cosmo will sit with my partner, but when I walk into the room he is my little velcro bird. I would not mind another p'let, but my honey says as much as he likes MoMo he does not want another parrotlet. He use to have cockatiels, finches, doves, budgies, etc. He is all about variety. But none of them were hand tamed. He basically had an indoor aviary lol! I really wanted him to have an actual PET bird. So we are still in discussion.

Thank you Gracefulwolf for all the info. I want to believe parrotlets are fine on their own....it is just....watching him, he seems lonely. Maybe that is just me. I am a new bird owner, and a cat person prior to this.With a cat you can easily tell if they are loners or the type that want or need company. But that experience does not help me here. I am just learning and possibly (obviously) over-anxious lol.

But for example, sometimes Mo won't move much for a long time. He will preen or just sit, but won't play. Just sits and waits me to take him out of the cage again. I put the radio on, no real difference. He can sit in the same spot forever. I play him bird sounds, and he is chirping and active and a different bird. But tell me true bird people, is it better for him if he stays a single bird? Is the loneliness just in my own viewpoint. I wish there was a way to try out his reactions to other birds before making the commitment.

Also...is it better to wait, like you suggested....I am still thinking cats I guess lol. With a cat you want to get them while they are young and raise them together, that is your best bet for a peaceful home. Is that not the same with birds? Should I wait and see how Cosmo ages, and bring another bird in in a couple years from now? My honey wants another bird but is not in a rush. We were mostly considering it now for Cosmos happiness.

So many questions! If my partner does get a different type of bird, will it matter if it is male or female as far as hormons go? Or is it only hormonal effecting if they are both parrotlets?

I don't think separate out of cage times would be an issue, as this will be my partner's bird, I am not messing with it at all less I have Velcro bird #2 lol. I would feel guilty if my partner lets the other bird free fly all day, while Cosmo only has out time when I am around though. I am around plenty but I have to work sometimes! Ha.

All excellent points. Hmmmmm. I would be sad if I lost my bond, but happy if Cosmo is happy. I would not separate them. Now, does lost bond mean he wouldn't be hand tame at all? Like I would have trouble getting him in his cage at night? I can deal with nips and bites but don't really want a totally wild bird. Would he bond that much with a bird that isn't a Parrotlet?

If we decide to get another bird (IF at this point!) Is there another type that may get along with a p'let better than a budgie? I know another parrotlet, but my honey really wants something else...

Oooh, you sort of answered my question about them being babies together! Hahaha Milo cursing him out! Poor Luka. But tha is pretty funny. Is there no way to test how they will react to other birds before hand? I guess not. It is all a gamble. I just wish I knew what was best to do.

Yeah, I told him a hand tamed budgie isn't at all like what he had before. They might talk, they will sit on your shoulder and chirp up a storm. Budgie is still in the running for him I think. Those Bourkes are just so beautiful and chill though lol. Lovebirds don't like me, I don't know why....but maybe that is good and they will bond with my partner instead haha.

Thanks all! And I can out ramble anyone! Haha sorry!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am currently fostering a parrotlet. He shares a room with a canary winged parakeet (who wants nothing to do with him) but the parrotlet is very interested in the other bird. I actually just told our adoption coordinator that I think he would do best in a home with another small bird when he's adopted. I wish you were close to here because he's a cutie. :)

GracefulWolf

Meeting neighbors
Simply sitting on a perch or preening for a couple hours is the bird equivalent of relaxing on the couch. Sometimes you just want to be lazy and hang out. Perfectly normal. Especially if his cage or hang out spot is up high where he can watch everything or near a window where he can look outside and enjoy the view. I think it’s better to keep them as single birds, but that doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t get another bird. I would be a huge hypocrite to say so :D

In the case of losing your bond, there’s no way to know until it happens. It’s a huge toss up, which is what makes it a difficult decision. However, it is much less likely for him to bond extremely close with another species. Which works in favor of your SO’s preference. I don’t know about the hormones for males/females of different species though.

My recommendation is for your SO to pick whatever species he wants and then work from there. Parrotlets are likely to bully any species so it doesn’t really matter :roflmao: They’re fiesty little pocket parrots!:heart:

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
Ok! Ha good to know. His cage is tall, but not near the windows as I was worried about drafts this winter. He just seemed bored or lonely, but maybe he is just chilling.

I guess time will tell! Thank you for all the advice. Really appreciated! I will come update if we ever decide to get another bird, and the outcome lol.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
What kind of toys does he have? Sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right kind. My bird likes to DESTROY lol. But she also likes bells.

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
I've been trying out different toys...
So far, he has a wooden ladder he likes to chew up (only when I am in the room) A big toy made out of...it feels like corn husks? It was choosen by my friend who had a cockatoo. He loves to destroy it (only when I am in the room) He has a preening toy that he ignores completely. Some ones made out of that seagrass mat material and bells, he does love bells, or is that hate them lol (only when I am in the room....pattern here!) A yucca log, which he showed an interest in hollowing out for a day, but now he just sits on it, since it swings a little. Some wicker balls. Some toys I made from papertowels after watching the woman with the p'lets on YouTube (her birds seem so active). A few others that I swap out once in awhile. Today I ordered him a little swing to see if he will like that, a shreddable pineapple shapped toy, one with ropes and colorful woodblocks, and a pedi perch. What do you think?

But he only seems to play when I am in the room, and often only if I demonstrate playing first. I know this because he is in my SO's home office and he says the bird sits there like a lump on a log the rest of the day. He knows when I get back because Cosmo starts flock calling and moving again. Am I doing something wrong? Is he lonely? Maybe he is just relaxing for long stretches of time.... But he does get very animated when I play bird videos though, chirps and flies and plays.

Which is what started this conversation on maybe we need another bird. Maybe the next one will teach him to play more, or having a buddy will make him feel more safe? Or less lonely. But......I am scared of bird violence lol. And I am just not sure I could handle another parrotlet, and that is the recommendation here. The SO is saying now that he is looking for something else too, and in my opinion something less prone to nippyness...as that is why Cosmo became my bird lol.

I should have stuck to cats, haha I am so a cat person. But jeeze this little guy got right into my heart! And now I'm nuts ha. And rambling. :wacky:

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Those sound like great toys to me... what about playing him shows/and or music when you're gone? Sorry if you already mentioned this, about to go to bed so I just skimmed to see if you did (I read whole thing before by my memory can sometimes fail me). Maybe he just needs some sort of visual stimulation (other than your SO lol). My bird loves her swing so hopefully yours will too...

For the second bird thing, personally I don't recommend putting two parrotlets in the same cage, but if you're willing to get another cage then it may very well encourage your bird to play, if you get two cages and they do seem to get along maybe you can put them in one cage and keep the second as a backup? You really need that backup though, as well as your SO there to make sure he can split them up quickly if they start becoming aggressive towards one another (when you're not around)... You need to be ready for worst-case scenario if you choose this route because it could very well be that they not only need separate cages but also separate out of cage times. I wouldn't recommend putting any other type of bird with a parrotlet in same cage, either. If you get a second cage then you can get a Bourke or a Budgie... but I don't really recommend you getting just one, those birds imo do better in pairs and I'm not sure if just seeing your parrotlet would be enough. If your budgie is just sitting there lonely in his cage I doubt it would inspire your parrotlet to play very much. x.x

These are just my thoughts, I'm no expert this is just based on stuff I've heard.

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
I do put on the radio in the mornings, and the SO plays music sometimes while he is working. No TV in that room though...

Yeah, separate cages no matter what we get. We are still in discussion. Budgies are really happy as big flock birds, right? I would feel bad having only one but I am not really looking for more yet. Are Bourkes ok on their own I wonder? Haha I would get a bird to keep Cosmo company and then have to get birds to keep that bird company. And suddenly I end up with LOTS of birds! :wacky:

If we got two Bourkes/budgies, wouldn't they bond and poor Cosmo be left out again? I would get another parrotlet... but then it would once again end up being MY bird.

Yeah, still no decisions made yet.... But I do appreciate all the input! :)

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
I had a single parrotlet for 8 years and while yes, he ALWAYS wanted more time to play with us (my wife and I) and was clingy, he was still a very happy and sweet bird. If you feel like he wants more attention but you can't handle him being out all the time there are some solutions we used: we had two cages, a somewhat smaller portable one (such as those 50ish dollar ones they have at pet stores for budgies) in the front room by the couch by the TV, and near where our dinner table was, and his "main cage" which was larger and where he slept at night, in my wife's office. He would then get the chance to be close to us a lot more of the time even when we couldn't have him nipping at our fingers and giving him constant supervision (such as when we were prepping veggies with a knife haha). We put toys, food and water in both, and sometimes even brought him closer to the "action" if we were having guests over for dinner or something.

We also had a backpack pak-o-bird thing so he could join us sometimes when we went out and about. Depending on the weather, time of year, and destination.

These two things settled him down a lot, being able to not be "left behind" whenever we couldn't have him on our head/arms or shoulders seemed to make him a much happier (and calmer) singlet.

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for all those ideas CheckeredTail! He does have a little travel cage he likes to fly to and sit on, I never thought about moving it when we are in other rooms so he can hang out there too, when we can't be as "hands on". I think we are a ways away from the pak-o-bird though, as I took him outside once in his cage, it was warm but not hot, and he was panting and acting strange, so back inside! lol. It is too cold in winter now, but will try some more outside time when it warms up in spring.

Hawkward

Meeting neighbors
Oh boy. Well... after a lot of discussion we decided not to get another bird. Then we come across this bright yellow budgie that the person was calling, "some kind of parrot". It had one perch in its cage, water, and food. And absolutely nothing else. No toys, no stimulation, nada. Sad empty cage. They had it that way for six months since buying it...

So, we have a new pet bird.
:scared2:

Poor little thing is terrified of everything. This is going to be an adventure lol. It is currently quarantined in a separate room in the back of the house (best I can do). First two days I just let it calm down. I then put one wood block toy in the far back corner of the cage, and a new perch. Which it does NOT like, but hopefully will in time. It does however loooooooove millet, eating it up happily. But this has to be the most quiet budgie in history.
:budgie6:

Worst case scenario will be separate out of cage times, but I am hoping with all my hopes lol that Cosmo and mellow yellow bird here will get along when quarantine is over. I need to read about how to do a proper slow introduction I guess. And think of names! Time to go over to the budgie area and ask my questions.