• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gigi is using her flight powers for good :)

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi was clipped as a baby bird. At 10 1/2 months old now, Gigi has 4 flight feathers on side and 3 on the other...and she can fly! She has been experimenting for the last month. Today she flew from her cage to my lap, from my shoulder to her play gym and from her play gym to my arm. 4-10 feet. All controlled and coordinated. I am super excited for her and me! She will have so many more choices and at this point, she is using for flight powers for good. Not getting into any trouble, just going to her normal safe spots.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm so happy that she is flying and that it's going so well! :fly2:

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes! Another good day. Cage to the chair, play gym to my shoulder. For our routine at the end of Mama time, we go to the kitchen cupboard and get 2 Nutri-berries. She rides on my shoulder to her cage in the living room. This time she flew, to her little half moon landing on her cage, easily 10 feet, and went in and waited while I put her food dish in the cage. It has been taking her a few minutes to get up the nerve to take a flight but this time she just popped off my shoulder. Her confidence is building!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:dancing:How exciting!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No longer sure about my thread title. Because now it's crazy. I open the half moon door and Gigi comes out of the cage and flies around, lands here and there, then flies some more. Her skills need refinement but she can zig zag completely across a room. She is particularly interested in the kitchen because that's where the Nutri-berries are, lol. Today was boing/perch replacement day. I put her on the play gym and started working. She immediately flew to the cage top, my shoulder, the play gym, the chairs on either side, busy little bee. So our time is different. We use to watch TV on the sofa, her on my shoulder or lap, play gym in front of me, with her going back and forth. Now basically I'm standing up and watching her fly! I feel like I'm training a falcon! Our condo is fairly bird proofed but I may need a few tension rods and temporary curtains to contain these antics.

Gigi turns 11 months tomorrow. :)

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
Yeyyy that's wonderful news!

Also means though that your food shall never be safe :devil:.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeyyy that's wonderful news!

Also means though that your food shall never be safe :devil:.
LOL I bet you have some experience with that with your cute crew!