• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A few more questions

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I have come to the complete conclusion, without a doubt, that a budgie would be the only bird I could own, and provide for all the needs and wants of, without straining my budget too much. I have plenty of money set aside for vet bills, and I have an occasional, if not steady, source of income. I just couldn't afford to spend hundreds of dollars monthly in providing for food, perches, and toys.

I have been lonely recently without my dogs, as I don't necessarily play well with my sisters, but I'm going to wait until two weeks after school starts (My schoolwork starts again shortly after New Year's), to ensure I would still have time once back on my regular schedule, before talking to my parents again about a bird.

This time, my questions are less on physical care and more on mental wellbeing.

I will be purchasing a young bird from a pet store, the PetSmart near me has very healthy budgies, I go there once every other week to volunteer at the dog and cat shelter inside, and every time I pass by, the enclosure is reasonably clean and all of the budgies are chirping, socializing, and playing. I would be choosing a very young one, so that taming and converting him/her onto a healthier diet will be easier. That brings up my first question.

1. The budgie would have constant access to pellets and water from the start, and I would offer seeds for an hour at a time, at a set time during the day, after I confirm he/she is eating from the pellets. How would you guys recommend going about introducing fresh fruits and vegetables? The "Seeds at a set time" will hopefully prevent picking through healthy foods to eat them. I would also use millet as a reward when I manage to catch a behavior I like.

2. I've heard differing views on introducing the bird to the home. I don't want my bird to become cage-bound, should I go with the traditional method of leaving him/her in the cage to get used to the surroundings? Or perhaps leave the cage door open to let him/her come out at his/her leisure? Or is there a different way? Since we have no other pets (And likely won't for a long time, at least not one free to roam the house.) the bird would have a lot of freedom in terms of out-of-cage time, and I'd like to let him know that early on.

3. We have one thick rug in our frontal living room that the bird wouldn't be allowed near, do any of you know good methods to keep her away? Potty training is likely a bad idea with such a small bird needing to go so frequently. It's the one surface in our house that we can't clean bird poop off of (easily), and putting it away isn't an option, as it's my mom's favorite piece of furniture.

4. We frequently have guests and friends over, do any of you have socialization tips for early on? I'd like him to be handleable by (or at least calm near) strangers. For obvious reasons I would only allow respectful older children and adults to even be near him or his cage.

5. In terms of behavior modeling, I would be using the "Reward good, redirect/ignore bad" method, as well as a bit of "Monkey see, monkey do" once I established trust. (I.E, playing with a new toy myself then showing it to my bird, hence reducing fear of the item. "Hey, Mom played with it, so it's probably safe.") Are there any pitfalls/better alternatives to these methods?

Thank you, guys! I might not be posting all that often, but I'm still not gone for good!

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I apologize that I personally cannot answer any of your questions but I would highly recommend you don't get a bird from the pet store. Even if that particular pet store takes good care of their animals, it's still a chain store and you are ultimately supporting a gigantic chain and a bunch of bird mills. I'm always an advocate for adopting, there are so many budgies out there in need of a good home and you seem like a wonderful and prepared home. If you are worried about getting a sick bird, you can always adopt from a rescue where you will know the history and current health of the bird you're getting. Plus, you're supporting a great cause!
Just my personal opinion, I would really try to avoid supporting a pet store and the continuous overbreeding of budgies in captivity in awful conditions. I'm sorry I can't answer any of your questions, hopefully a more experienced budgie person will reply soon, I wish you the best in getting a budgie! :D

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
1. The budgie would have constant access to pellets and water from the start, and I would offer seeds for an hour at a time, at a set time during the day, after I confirm he/she is eating from the pellets. How would you guys recommend going about introducing fresh fruits and vegetables? The "Seeds at a set time" will hopefully prevent picking through healthy foods to eat them. I would also use millet as a reward when I manage to catch a behavior I like.

This is kind of frightening to me personally (but it may be fine to others...?) I am certainly more a novice than anything else.... The reason it's frightening is that I believe the basis of the budgie diet IS seeds. When you first get a baby budgie he/she will be a bit nervous, and I would like to have the most comforting food available for them.

I found this article... which I hope is helpful. Budgie Diet – the key to your budgie's well being

2. I've heard differing views on introducing the bird to the home. I don't want my bird to become cage-bound, should I go with the traditional method of leaving him/her in the cage to get used to the surroundings? Or perhaps leave the cage door open to let him/her come out at his/her leisure? Or is there a different way? Since we have no other pets (And likely won't for a long time, at least not one free to roam the house.) the bird would have a lot of freedom in terms of out-of-cage time, and I'd like to let him know that early on.

I would surely leave the new bird in their cage for the minimum of a week, to allow them to get used to the environment. In the rare occurrence that you have one of the extroverted birds, even after a week they will surely still be getting used to their new environment and people, and household sounds, sights, smells, etc.

He/She can have all the out of cage time they wish for the rest of their life after the intro part. :)

3. We have one thick rug in our frontal living room that the bird wouldn't be allowed near, do any of you know good methods to keep her away? Potty training is likely a bad idea with such a small bird needing to go so frequently. It's the one surface in our house that we can't clean bird poop off of (easily), and putting it away isn't an option, as it's my mom's favorite piece of furniture.

Just don't take Budgie in the room with the rug. Unlikely that there would be any mess on the rug if you do not spend any time in that room with them.

4. We frequently have guests and friends over, do any of you have socialization tips for early on? I'd like him to be handleable by (or at least calm near) strangers. For obvious reasons I would only allow respectful older children and adults to even be near him or his cage.

This is my rule also - children may come in the room and view my birds as long as the children are supervised. You can allow adults to begin feeding the budgie treats just like you feed him treats after birdie is comfy stepping up on your hand. Explain to them how slowly you have to move, not to scare them.

5. In terms of behavior modeling, I would be using the "Reward good, redirect/ignore bad" method, as well as a bit of "Monkey see, monkey do" once I established trust. (I.E, playing with a new toy myself then showing it to my bird, hence reducing fear of the item. "Hey, Mom played with it, so it's probably safe.") Are there any pitfalls/better alternatives to these methods?

It has taken mine up to 2 weeks to approach a new toy, no matter if I played with it or not... just saying.

:rofl:

Thank you, guys! I might not be posting all that often, but I'm still not gone for good!

Glad to see you're here and still absorbing all the great info! I sure hope you will be back to post photos after the first of the year too when your budgie gets there!

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@CrowCall - I hope you can click on my comment above, because my comments are in the block, but you have to expand it to see them!

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Yes, I was able to, thank you for the input!

I suppose I'm a little nervous around seeds because Sky was raised on them, and refused to eat anything else after I had learned that a budgie needs more than just seeds. So should I ditch the pellets as long as I would be able to get him/her to eat veggies and greens in addition to the seed? Haha, it would mean an extra few dollars for toys every month.

@BirdField I have been browsing Craigslist, but there are no rescues or breeders close to me. If I could find a young/already tame budgie or one that desperately needed out of their current situation I would adopt, but budgies in particular aren't often looking for homes near where I live.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Yes, I was able to, thank you for the input!

I suppose I'm a little nervous around seeds because Sky was raised on them, and refused to eat anything else after I had learned that a budgie needs more than just seeds. So should I ditch the pellets as long as I would be able to get him/her to eat veggies and greens in addition to the seed? Haha, it would mean an extra few dollars for toys every month.

I don't know about ditching the pellets... I think some might say so, but mine get pellets in with their seed at all time. I just mix the Zupreem Fruity blend pellets (x-tra small) kind with their daily seed.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@BirdField If I'm not mistaken, poor Miss Trinity first came to the Avenue to learn more about birds and somewhat frustrated by her lack of access to them in her area. :hug6:She was even offering to bird sit for any members in her area just for the exposure, though sadly there weren't any. (Most of us would love to have an offer like that in our area!) And as she said, no shelters or rescues for hours around. Besides, mine and hubby's first bird was an impulse buy from PetSmart when we ran in for dog food. Not the right way to choose a pet and we weren't thinking of the dark side of chain stores, we were just too smitten with that silly green clown to let him go home with anyone else. :xflove: And I'm glad we did.

@CrowCall Any budgie would be very fortunate to have you for a parront, though if at all possible, I would try to get two as they're so much better in pairs and not any more work for the two. @SquawksNibbles @Lady Jane If anything it would be less work as having a friend to preen would be better than any toy and free you up for guilt-free school and homework time. Especially for such a young one who's not used to being alone. If it's the $ but your mom says okay, PM me & I'll send you a PetSmart gift card to help with the expenses of taking on a second bird.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The best chance you have to find budgies that are willing to be touched by human hands is either a rescue or from a breeder. No matter how clean Petsmart cages are the birds have had very little human touch/interactions. If you end up getting two pet store budgies you will need to be with them many hours a day. Budgies in pairs eat much better than a single one. Don't ditch pellets. Birds need a well balanced diet, including seeds, nuts, grains, , red and orange yellow veggies and greens
@faislaq has made a generous offer to you. We are all about supported and kindness here on AA. Find an avian vet first then make your home safe for flighted budgies. Also we just had members bird die in the mouth of their dog. So your birds must never be exposed to canines.

Last edited:

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Aww, thank you, Karen. Money won't be much of a problem, as I have more than enough to go around for two birds, and even if I didn't, both my parents and sister have helped out financially with previous pets and would likely do so again.
My only hurdle is, again, convincing my mom, who is by no means enthralled with the idea of more than one bird. When I'm ready I'll ask the question again, and if she isn't too hesitant, sneak in the suggestion of a second budgie "for Hannah", all the while explaining how happy she will be and how two entertain each other and don't make all that much more noise and mess.

I'm betting by January most of the household will be ready for another pet, since the longest we have gone without some sort of animal in the house is two months. (My parent's heart dog, Lilo, ran away when I was less than a year old, and a short while later my grandpa gave them a Mini Snauzcher puppy as an anniversary present. Ritz quickly became "My dog" although, me being so young, my parents cared for him.)

More so, my mom likes animals, but only when they behave for her. She's not an unreasonable woman, however. She would never try to rehome or sell an animal without me being completely on board, and she wouldn't pressure me into anything, either.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
@Lady Jane Canines are no longer a concern at Trinity's house. I believe they are currently pet free making her desire for birds that much greater.

Marvel_ous

Real Name
Trinity
Thank you for the recommendations, Jane, although chances are high even a budgie rehomed on Craigslist around here would originally be from a pet store. I am willing to put in the extra time and effort to tame a pair of pet store budgies, and it's another reason why I will be choosing young ones.

I never knew that about pairs! There's my pickiness worries lessened.
I may just have to start finding tasty, bird-friendly salad recipes to share with future fids!

Yes, I'll be going through the whole process of readying my home once I get the O.K from everyone! I can easily see these little birds ending up becoming family pets, as Hannah loved Sky almost as much as I did, and my parents found him cute when I managed to coax him away from the cage. Gracie was too young back then to care, however she does like seeing the ones at PetSmart play. Anyway, my planned process:
-Get the go-ahead from family
-Find vet
-Order supplies
-Bird-proof house and educate family on habits (Closing toilet lids, looking before sitting, opening and closing doors carefully, keep ceiling fans off (We never use them anyway), etc.) while items are shipping
-Finish proofing house and set up items
-Purchase budgies and extra toys/perches if anything catches our eye (I'll be taking along the travel cage I purchase so they won't be crammed in a tiny cardboard box at all)

Any steps I've missed? I want to make sure I'll give them the best start possible.
I'll post my "shopping list" for you guys to check and revise soon.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
As a teenager who still has school work like you, I would highly suggest a pair, too, if possible. My boys are much happier together and I don’t have to be worried about one being lonely while I’m away. I also agree with Lady Jane about how a pair will accept new foods better. Skittles was the one who tried out vegetables and pellets first, and then Nico followed along.

Your Budgie(s) will need a diet of pellets, seeds, vegetables, grains, and other good foods. My birds use to only eat seeds. They finally accepted pellets, and then vegetables. Seed is still part of their diet, yet they still love their pellets, veggies, and other fresh foods.

Your bird will still need time to get used to his or her new surroundings. The bird will be in a completely new home with unfamiliar people. Once you give your bird time to settle in, you can start just hanging out by the cage. Talk to the bird softly. Don’t stare at him/her or make any sudden or loud noises. Occasionally give the bird yummy treats in the food bowl. Just spend time with the bird and allow him/her to get used to you.

Several different play areas will most likely help with keeping them away from that rug and in a more ‘bird-friendly’ area. You can set up several bird-safe play areas with lots of things to keep them busy.

Also, is your family away of the dangers with stuff like Teflon cookware and candles? Every person in the family also needs to know to be careful with the doors and needs to be aware that they can’t leave them open.

If it's the $ but your mom says okay, PM me & I'll send you a PetSmart gift card to help with the expenses of taking on a second bird.

That is very kind of you!! :)