• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How do I find a Hawkhead parrot?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Never checked out any Birds by Joe as they were always $$$ & I just thought he did not raise them but got them just to sell..

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Sweet Louise I think if you don't get the bird you will regret it. But we both know things work out the way they're supposed to.

Maybe call back the bird farm guy and ask him about behavior/aggression? He told me some things I didn't know about nesty behavior with 2 female caiques. Kept me from making a bad choice.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Unfortunately no leads from the bird fair, however, Kayaker did tell me about a new bird only store in Arlington Heights. We checked it out after the fair and errands and it is an immaculate store. I forgot my cell (duh!) so couldn't take pictures but I have a card for the place. It's called Parrot Stars - Parrot Stars - Where Nature Comes to Life! They had a black palm too and a hy as well as other smaller parrots. They also had a baby blue & gold and 2 baby golden conures which we were invited to see (not in the store section itself). As you enter the store there is a second door and you have to walk across a damp mat as well as use the liquid hand disinfectant before you enter the store area itself. I asked about HHs but they don't know any though they are hoping to expand the birds they have. Super clean, immaculate cages w/some birds on stands and others in large cages.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
@Sweet Louise I think if you don't get the bird you will regret it. But we both know things work out the way they're supposed to.

Maybe call back the bird farm guy and ask him about behavior/aggression? He told me some things I didn't know about nesty behavior with 2 female caiques. Kept me from making a bad choice.

True missed so many GCC's when I was lookng then missed a CBC & its sibling. II learned a few months later that sadly that young bird maybe 6 to 8 mo had passed. SO its good I did not get it & good that the breeder took someone elses paypal when she told me to get a money order...

Then if I had gotten a bronze wing I would have no room for Penny. The baby bronze wing was a sweetie but it was not the right time so it left me open to the opportunity to get a bird I had never even considered but admired...

So do what you feel in your heart is right & take it easy because no matter how we try to make things happen sometimes they just don;t'''

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I got my Panama Amazon, Harley (see avatar) from Birds by Joe 5 years ago. Had him flown out. Didn't have any problems whatsoever, and ended up with an amazing Zon!

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Update, tomorrow I put a deposit on the dna sexed male. Was hoping for a female but at least I won’t have to worry about eggs. Thank you for the leads- and this lead came from @aooratrix. I have been trying to find a good cage at a good price. The ones with a good price are out of stock. I think I have some folks who will help with the lifting of the cage. Bird is just 4 hours away so I may have to stay overnight. With required stops and repositioning prob 6 hours each way. July would have been a better month $$ wise but I figured a convoluted way to do this. The whole back surgery has been a Pia. I will attach two pics. Owner says bird is sweet and well socialized. If I time this out, I will have a solid week with him before returning to work so that is also a plus. Thank you again for all the help!!! He is striking!!
Oh and folks from golden cockatoo never responded to my list of questions. Apparently I am not an easy enough mark to be scammed...

Attachments

Last edited:

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
He was hatched December 21 so about 8 mos. he was just weaned last week so I think there is a possibility of backsliding to needing some hand feeding again? Let’s keep hoping Penny is done with eggs.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He was hatched December 21 so about 8 mos. he was just weaned last week so I think there is a possibility of backsliding to needing some hand feeding again? Let’s keep hoping Penny is done with eggs.
8 mos? Redo your calculation. If he was hatched 12/21 then he's about 4 3/4 months old. When I saw 8 mos. I thought it was strange because that's late for weaning.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Yeah, he does not look 8 months & that would be more of a hyacinth weaning time.

4 or 5 months is still a bit long but better to err to safe side.

He looks young as he still has some light on his beak but he has nice gray legs & feet.
Also no white crown yet...

Looks healthy...

Exciting@@@

Some females will never have eggs & some can be chronic layers which is not healthy.

Potential for problems with eggs so I try to avoid females but males can be more aggressive during hormonal times. Just have to be aware & leave them their space at that time.

Last edited:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! Apparently there's a hawkhead chick a couple hours away right now, but at $4000, a bit out of my budget...

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
So exciting your getting the baby!
I've been fallowing following this thread, reading it and was hoping you'd find one!
He's a cutie! Such a beautiful species of parrot!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Congrats! He is super adorable! I remember the first time I saw a picture of a hawkhead, I thought it must be photoshopped:rofl: Then I looked it up and found out about them, they are so enchanting and beautiful:heart:

WhoaNellie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hawkheads are the closest relative to the caique! From what I've seen the noise level is about the same (I think about perfect for a medium sized parrot!). They are beautiful. @camelotshadow , I haven't been on a whole lot, and I didn't realize that you had a new birdie in your life! How exciting! Now you have TWO of my favorite birds on AA!:heart:
Does anybody have a HH and a caique? I'm curious if they have similar temperaments. I've always admired HHs, but have also heard they can be really aggressive. I always heard that about caiques, too, though, and I love our caique. So is it kind of a similar thing? They can be horrible, but if raised right, they're not actually monsters? :)