• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bronze Wing Coloring

Leiura

Meeting neighbors
Maybe someone can help me out. Is it common for bronze wings to have white specks in their head feathers? Or is that something they grow out of?
My husband has taken an interest in bronze wings after seeing Kippie the parrot on instagram and is considering one for a future date (maybe after we move again.) But he really wants one with a solid coloring like Kippie.
If they don't grow out of it, breeder suggestions if anyone knows one?
Halp. Please. :/

Thanks in advance.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Why are you wanting a parrot? Have you both researched them and understand the commitment?
Pionus are known for being "quiet" but honestly, it depends on the bird and some can be pretty loud in comparison. While pis are known for their independence, they will still need committed carers and absolutely cannot be cooped up in a cage all day.
But he really wants one with a solid coloring like Kippie.
And please, if you're getting a parrot, don't get one for their looks. They are so much more and you shouldn't be getting a bird just because they look pretty.
When you say white spots, that reminds me of a thread on a vasa with large white spots that was on here once. It could be a sign on PBFD (psitacinne beak and feather disease) which is very devastating but we can't be sure unless you post pictures. Or the white spots, if smaller more speckle-like, could simply be pin feathers because the bird is molting. Or it could be their natural baby coloring or lifelong coloring, I'm certainly no expert and please don't go off of this alone. There are plenty of other things it could be, just listing a few extremes.
My husband has taken an interest in bronze wings after seeing Kippie the parrot on instagram and is considering one for a future date
But please, if you're wanting a pi just because you saw one on instagram, keep in mind instagram is a harsh twisting of reality. In reality, while pis are absolutely beautiful birds, they're still birds. Birds that are not tame, birds that will be hormonal, that will lay eggs (if female), that will need complex diets, birds that need you to literally cook for them every day. Instagram captures one moment, one second of reality and it shows only the pretty looking aspect of pionus parrots. It shows the beautiful, magestic, and good side of them. It does not show the bites, the mess, the poop, the dried on chop thrown on the walls, and the cost (big money for just about any parrot, not just their price but yearly expenses). You need to ask yourself and your husband, are you truly prepared for a commitment like this or do you just want a shiny looking bird?

Last edited:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bronze wings do tend to show white on their heads - it's their white down showing through. You can see it on Leia in my profile photo.

Choosing a parrot based on whether they're the right colour to the extent that a tiny detail like white on their head would put you off is a poor reason to bring a bird into your life. What apart from colouring attracts you to this species?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
INITIALLY, my RESCUE WCP cost me almost $1k and that was cheap. Her cage is HUGE, so be prepared for the space. Her original cage wouldn't fit through the door of her room until the room's door was removed plus the playtop of her cage had to removed. I didn't get her through my AV, so pay a higher rate. Even discounted, I pay OVER USD150/visit and she goes in a minimum of twice annually. She doesn't eat like my other birds and is still on a slow weightloss program.

She is my first pionus and HATES smaller birds. The members on PIONUS POINTE have put up with my Sherman questions and updates. It's definitely been a learning experience that not all are prepared for. Yes, Sherman is beautiful, but her color is only a SMALL part of what truly makes her beautiful!

Since my pi hates smaller birds and can't fly, she must have personal time when her cage is left open. That means additional attention to JUST Sherman. Lots of owners aren't ready for the extra space, special nature and extra attention required by a pi.

Not just based on species, EVERY bird is different! Every bird has a personality. Every bird comes with it's own special needs, desires and abilities. Every bird is an individual and must be respected as such. Each of my birds looks special in some way and could be picked out of a roomful. That's something desirable.

A brunette can have Medium Brown to Jet Black hair that's wavy, curly, straight or mixed, coarse or fine. Plummage can be described or mean many things and look many ways. Color is NOT the way to choose a bird any more than a way to choose a human friend!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd was a very skinny Maxi Pionus with bad feather colors, missing flight feathers, and he hated feet. He also loved me and was my best friend for 31 years. He never talked, he spoke wild Pionus and I spoke it back. He knew his name, had a name for himself and a name for me. We had certain games that had to be done just so or he'd be very put out. I didn't choose him for his colors, or maybe he'd talk. I chose him and his brother Ferd because I wanted a bird and they seemed gentle and friendly. Ferd got sick a few years in and died very quickly and Nerd and I grieved and he bonded to me. If I had been looking for just the right color or maybe being able to talk I certainly wouldn't have chosen especially Nerd or his brother. He was shy, had a wicked loud jungle flock call, and was happy with me and his lot in life. I'm glad he chose me and he and I grew up together.
If and when your ready meet some birds and see if any click with and choose you. You might be surprised what bird you end up with. I've had 4 Maxis now and every one was similar but their own soul and personality. From loving but standoffish, mad at the world and quick to bite till we wore each other down, to very outgoing, mischievous, and socialized, and never wanting to bite, and loves every one he meets.

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I agree with tka, the white down feathers just stick out sometimes giving them a more scruffy look. They're no less beautiful, it's part of their charm. If you go for a bronze wing, I would advise you to get a female. Both my males are prone to mood swings and easily trigered. It's usualy just posturing so pretty mild... but can easily escalate during hormonal periods or if you don't respect their boundaries. Other than that, mine can be very sweet, non destructive, very quiet and generaly well behaved...

Last edited:

Leiura

Meeting neighbors
Thanks for the replies everyone. We're long time bird owners so we know the general feeding, housing, and attention requirements. I'm here asking because we're in the research phase and have no immediate plans for adding another bird to the family soon. This was a question he had so I came here to ask for him. Simple as that.
People are drawn to birds for a variety of reasons (speaking ability, coloration, personalities, etc.). I agree that getting a bird solely on superficial reasons is not the right way to approach bringing any pet of any kind into a family. But to say appearances shouldn't be a considered factor is, in my opinion, a dogmatic approach that doesn't reflect the reality of most people.
I'll be sure to forward answers to my husband. The personal stories were appreciated.