• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ringneck doves vs parrots

Lydia Deetz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I figure this has got to be a complicated question with a complicated answer. I know parrots are far more demanding and mischievous than any dove, but can be very rewarding pets. Since doves are easier, are the rewards of owning one less than with a parrot?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
There were a handful of ringneck doves I used to work with among all the parrots. Most of them, I confess I found rather doltish and boring. :shy: Also didn't help that I absolutely cannot stand the sound of their cooing.

However, there was one male who was pretty cool and managed to win me over well enough. So maybe for some people, certain individuals can be as rewarding as a parrot while presenting less mischief and demands. Buuuut for me and the species as a whole? That's a hard pass, thanks.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Serin

Sprinting down the street
Parrots are people, doves are pets. They're easy keepers and can be affectionate when gotten young, do well free flighted in the house. I had one for a few years and compared him to a cat. He mostly took care of himself and was fun to watch go around the house but he also would come over to me for snuggles when the mood struck him.