• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Taco is plucking and barbering again...

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Have you tried any toys that might distract him? I think Hoot N Holler had "Walter's Pluck 'Ems" or something very similar. My memory is bad.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I want him to be happy and healthy, and I feel like an utter failure.
Again, I know how you feel. It's the exact same way I feel about Milton.

I know he's happy...and the constant testing we're doing keeps coming up negative. :(

Lately, Milty's started on his legs..he's got chicken legs now...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You need to remember that once a bird has a feather destruction issue that will likely "always" be an issue no matter what you do or how healthy and happy your bird is. Sometimes it might get worse and sometimes it might even seem to go away only to rear its ugly head again.

Feather destruction is a coping mechanism that once ingrained is very difficult to completely turn around. It's the result of stress from living in a unnatural captive world.

You had better come to terms with this. The sooner the better.

have tried everything
No you have not tried everything.

If he's a solitary bird then that is also a contributing factor. When you are not there, there is no flock. There are many hours of boredom in his day. That's where other flock members fill the void.

Does Taco fly? If not that is also something to work on.

If things get worse you may have to resort to a vest/sockbuddy/collar

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
You had better come to terms with this. The sooner the better.

No you have not tried everything.

If he's a solitary bird then that is also a contributing factor. When you are not there, there is no flock. There are many hours of boredom in his day. That's where other flock members fill the void.

Does Taco fly? If not that is also something to work on.

If things get worse you may have to resort to a vest/sockbuddy/collar
That's why I said I've only tried everything I know of. I know I haven't tried every possible avenue yet.

Taco doesn't live alone, he shares the New World Bird Room with Aurélie. They do flock activities (preening, eating, bathing) together, but I don't know whether that's as fulfilling as being with another macaw (or twenty).

I've been trying to get Taco to fly since his head-on collision with the wall, and he's doing alright with his "lessons", but he isn't super confident yet. Plus he barbers the holy heck out of his wings, which makes flying even more difficult.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Have you thought about the fact that you've recently gone through some really trying times? These birds can certainly hone in to your energies. He presumably could have resumed plucking because he's been engaged with your sadness and despair.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Have you thought about the fact that you've recently gone through some really trying times? These birds can certainly hone in to your energies. He presumably could have resumed plucking because he's been engaged with your sadness and despair.
...this could be a contributing factor. 'Toos are so very sensitive to their people's feelings and what's going on in the world around them...

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
That could be. I make an active effort to keep my mood up around the fids, but so much has been happening I'm sure they've picked up on the havoc.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I know it's gonna be a pain, but I would start keeping a diary of sorts. Note things that Taco does during the day, his overall mood as well as the things that happen with you/your family as well. Over time, a pattern might come to surface.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That could be. I make an active effort to keep my mood up around the fids, but so much has been happening I'm sure they've picked up on the havoc.
They can pick up on our emotions telepathically, no matter how much of an effort you make to mask how you're feeling.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They can pick up on our emotions telepathically, no matter how much of an effort you make to mask how you're feeling.
When I feeling bad or low I have tried to hide it from Eliy because she is very sensitive of my emotions. But I found out that it's not working and can make it worse.

So don't try to hide it , that will probably just confused them more. When I see that Eliy react to my emotions I sit down, breathing as slowly as I can, and thinking good feelings.
And I never leave her when I'm feeling bad or low, because she will have that in her mind until I come back.

I really really hope you soon will get an answer/solution to this. ♥♥♥
:hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4::hug4:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
barber1.JPG barber2.jpg

Taco's still ripping himself apart, and I'm still sad about it. :sad9:

I know well how powerful the draw of a destructive coping mechanism can be, but seeing it in someone you love is absolute agony. It's like his mental scars are leeching out onto his body and burning away at him.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:sadhug:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
He seemed to really really love going out on day trips during the summer; maybe when the weather gets warm again and he can go outside, it'll help draw his mind away from his feathers (even if only for a few minutes). He doesn't like being stuck inside, but true Canadian winter has finally arrived and it's -30°. Sorry, bud.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
He seemed to really really love going out on day trips during the summer; maybe when the weather gets warm again and he can go outside, it'll help draw his mind away from his feathers (even if only for a few minutes). He doesn't like being stuck inside, but true Canadian winter has finally arrived and it's -30°. Sorry, bud.
I can totally understand that. Milton loves to go out with me, and he gets frustrated when he sees me put my coat on...:(

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Here in Sweden they do go for walks with their parrots in the winter too. And allowed them for free flights too.
A short walk to the car (have the car warm inside) and take him somewhere, or just go on a short trip.
You can also prepare him for the winter as I do with mine. They are out getting sunlight even in the winter too. (10-15 minutes.)
Some thinks they will be sick of that, but it is the opposite. To get that sun and fresh air will only do them good.
Remember that they have feathers that keeps them warm if it's not windy.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here in Sweden they do go for walks with their parrots in the winter too. And allowed them for free flights too.
A short walk to the car (have the car warm inside) and take him somewhere, or just go on a short trip.
You can also prepare him for the winter as I do with mine. They are out getting sunlight even in the winter too. (10-15 minutes.)
Some thinks they will be sick of that, but it is the opposite. To get that sun and fresh air will only do them good.
Remember that they have feathers that keeps them warm if it's not windy.

Oh, a car ride is a great idea! He'd love it.

I don't like taking the fids out if it's below 15° just because it makes me nervous, so the thought of going for a walk with him in -30° is tooo scary. Though our winters here are so windy they can make even otherwise reasonable temperatures dangerous. Eep.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ok I wonder if busy boxes would help. I use make these when I volunteer at the clinic. You can do them with bigger boxes. I use to snag up all the boxes I could get from the clinic.
Pictures - Busy (knot) Boxes | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Another idea is rain sticks from paper towel tubes or gift wrap tubes.
Pictures - Rain stick forging toys (Paper towel tubes) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Make the first ones in front of Taco, so he can see what fun they are. The fillings for either can be a food treat, a toy, paper shred, pellets, unpopped popcorn, popped popcorn, anything that Taco would love