• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeder forum

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Sure, I get that. Breeders should be able to answer these questions. But why are we inundating breeders with tons of questions and unsolicited advice instead of just answering their questions? My fear is that that attitude will discourage breeders from asking questions here and they will instead get their information from less reliable places. And I've seen the advice given on facebook groups. It's sometimes good, always well-meaning, and sometimes disastrous. I would rather they come here.

I agree with you on this. I do think that barraging people with negative opinions will drive some away. There is a time and a place for it. I personally wish this was not the place for it but what can we do. PM the people asking the questions. I think.

I do feel bad for some people though. So are in countries with limited resources and the don't speak english well and they are just trying to get advice in an emergency and they may leave before any good advice is given. That can't be good for the birds.

I feel like those who do not like breeding would serve the poor babies better by just letting it slide this one time...Even though we see it all the time to the individual who comes with questions this may be the first time they are encountering a community like ours. Imagine how much good could come from someone like that learning a better way to do things be is better breeding or giving up breeding all together. If they leave before they get any good advice then what good have we really done.

My personal suggestion is help people where they are not and then after the crisis passes educate them on the better way to do things or advise them that they should consider stopping.

Kindness, tact and education are the way to go.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I said making them feel attacked. Not that they're actually being attacked. But when people are dogpiling on and making you feel like a bad person for breeding birds, there's a good chance that they're just not going to seek out advice next time they need it. And then the bird suffers.
I'm not saying that you can't rail against breeding in other forums. But can there be *one* forum for asking questions and getting answers, no judgement?
I do feel like the questions are sometimes overwhelmed with opinions and breeding rather than given actual advice. I am not against talking people out of breeding but there is a time and a place.

It's like when a bird is injured and everyone says to take it to the vet. Then you find out the person is in an area where there is not vet. Do you just say "oh well" you should not have gotten a bird if you don't have a vet? No you help if you can.

If a baby bird is already in trouble you help first then try and talk them out of the next clutch.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
My mom is a Novice Dog Breeder. We don't show our dogs, we're just average people. I will be breeding my own Cockatiel Pair. What We Do is Our Choice, simple as that. 2 out of our 3 Dogs are pregnant right now! :D ~ Princess the whiteface tiel may lay eggs in the spring. (yes, I still live with "mommy". I'm 22 and in a wheelchair)

We welcomed 2 beautiful Toy Poodle Pups last year && they both found lovely homes! I'm quite happy.:starshower1:

Spay-Neuter Activists Need to Butt-Out. Lol. Unless you're a veterinarian, don't tell me what to do with my animals! Thank you, G'day.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm in the "why breed when there are already so many needing good homes" camp, though as @Feather said, there are a few breeders on here that I do respect. But seeing as I'm not into breeding and have no advice to give I just ignore the forum rather than get stressed out about things (and minds) I cannot change.

However, should I ever find myself in a baby bird predicament* or find an egg I missed when I thought I'd swapped them all, you'd better believe I'm going to unignore that forum and thank my lucky stars I haven't alienated the folks there who can help me.

*Think of how many birds you know of that were named believing they were the opposite gender (and how many of those were DNA tested!) :shocked4:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I will be breeding my own Cockatiel Pair. What We Do is Our Choice, simple as that.
That is exactly the kind of selfish egotistical attitude that is the doom of most captive animals. My condolences to your cockatiels

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My mom is a Novice Dog Breeder. We don't show our dogs, we're just average people. I will be breeding my own Cockatiel Pair. What We Do is Our Choice, simple as that. 2 out of our 3 Dogs are pregnant right now! :D ~ Princess the whiteface tiel may lay eggs in the spring. (yes, I still live with "mommy". I'm 22 and in a wheelchair)

We welcomed 2 beautiful Toy Poodle Pups last year && they both found lovely homes! I'm quite happy.:starshower1:

Spay-Neuter Activists Need to Butt-Out. Lol. Unless you're a veterinarian, don't tell me what to do with my animals! Thank you, G'day.
That attitude stinks. On a public forum people can tell you whatever they want. But it is up to you and me whether we listen or not. Let people tell you to neuter your dog, heck, if someone told me that, it would go in one ear and out of the other (my dog is not and never will be castrated and I will never breed him for ethical reasons).
But you can´t expect people not to voice their opinions and give their thoughts. Especially when you are novices at breeding, and when it comes to breeding, mistakes cost lives. People aren´t just being mean. This is a forum full of bird lovers, and we care about the chicks that your birds may or may not have.

I hope you stay in this community here, as the information available on this forum is excellent. But maybe rethink your wording, at least.

Also, the birds and the dog in my house are not my animals, they´re my family. The birds that land on my balcony are animals. Just my thoughts.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

I bit my tongue as long as I could. I used to be active in the dog community. I can tell you that if the dogs didn't have health clearances and titles or were bred for a specific utility, like American lion hounds, there was absolutely no reason to breed them. If you're breeding dogs frequently, it's for money, simple as that. That's a puppy mill, as far as I'm concerned. There are multitudes of pets that are already here and need good homes.

And breeding your cockatiels just because you can with no experience is both selfish and negligent. It is certainly your right to breed them. It will also be your responsibility to provide them the best possible care. If you don't get the experience you don't have, those babies WILL PAY THE PRICE. That's intentional cruelty. That's my personal opinion.

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Hey guys I got censored ... it’s been awhile.. I got ripped, post removed, admin diplomatically suggested I make it right and I apologized. But u know I deserved it. But wth I did get censored. And yeah I made it right. And no it wasn’t for swearing.
:lol::hug8::lol:

Just trying to lighten this thread a little ya’ll

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hey guys I got censored ... it’s been awhile.. I got ripped, post removed, admin diplomatically suggested I make it right and I apologized. But u know I deserved it. But wth I did get censored. And yeah I made it right. And no it wasn’t for swearing.
:lol::hug8::lol:

Just trying to lighten this thread a little ya’ll
:hearye: :tmsarrestedme: :judge1: Just a little humour but has the :mariesshed: been redecorated? It's been a while since I've stuck both my left feet in something. It's sad to say this but there are many threads that I look at and skip because I know that what I say or even how I say it, even nicely put, will get me in trouble.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:hearye: :tmsarrestedme: :judge1: Just a little humour but has the :mariesshed: been redecorated? It's been a while since I've stuck both my left feet in something. It's sad to say this but there are many threads that I look at and skip because I know that what I say or even how I say it, even nicely put, will get me in trouble.
I know the feeling, but I keep beating that dead horse with hope

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
I came across a very young girl on Facebook about two years ago and she asked me for references for breeders. This was after telling me she had a few animals (quite a few) earned straight A’s in gifted classes and was set on being a veterinarian. She also had the full support of her parents who obviously had the means and the land for the animals she loved. I gave her the names of some breeders and then she hit me with “I want a 2-3 week old macaw who I will wean”. I flipped told her strongly all of the negatives ... then I was harsh and said she’d kill the baby. And if she did manage to talk a Breeder into this the breeder had to unscrupulous, caring only about $ and not the welfare of her babies. She blocked me no surprise. And I saw her hit group after group after group stating her plans and read the groups horrified responses. She must have gone through more groups of macaws than I can count. Then I read her new baby was coming in 2 weeks - young, featherless, and unweaned. I messaged her and said she needed help and to unblock me because I had someone who could probably get her through this. Kashmir Csaky had agreed to talk to her and go through what she had to do. 14 years old and she didn’t care what they called her. She didn’t care when she was thrown out of groups. She was determined to learn how to do this. And she did. In this life it seems every yes must cost you one thousand firm NO WAY answers.

And Facebook posts and groups can be viscous in their responses. Well not can be - they attack in swarms. It’s not like here where well mannered posts are a must.

Last edited:

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
I came across a very young girl on Facebook about two years ago and she asked me for references for breeders. This was after I walking me she had a few animals (quite a few) earned straight A’s in gifted classes and was set on being a veterinarian. She also had the full support of her parents who obviously had the means and the land for the animals she loved. I gave her the names of some breeders and then she hit me with “I want a 2-3 week old macaw who I will wean”. I flipped told her strongly all of the negatives ... then I was harsh and said she’d kill the baby. And if she did manage to talk a Breeder into this the breeder had to unscrupulous, caring only about $ and not the welfare of her babies. She blocked me no surprise. And I saw her hit group after group after group stating her plans and read the groups horrified responses. She must have gone through more groups of macaws than I can count. Then I read her new baby was coming in 2 weeks - young, featherless, and unweaned. I messaged her and said she needed help and to unblock me because I had someone who could probably get her through this. Kashmir Csaky had agreed to talk to her and go through what she had to do. 14 years old and she didn’t care what they called her. She didn’t care when she was thrown out of groups. She was determined to learn how to do this. And she did. In this life it seems every yes must cost you one thousand firm NO WAY answers.

And Facebook posts and groups can be viscous in their responses. Well not can be - they attack in swarms. It’s not like here where well mannered posts are a must.
Thank god she succeeded and had the resources for it to happen, I was scared she would've killed the baby. She was very lucky, but yes, success is possible if you get proper mentorship and information. Thank you for this thought-provoking story, it sure is making me think about how to handle such subjects on here.

lexalayne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
Thank god she succeeded and had the resources for it to happen, I was scared she would have killed the baby. She was very lucky, but yes, success is possible if you get proper mentorship and information. Thank you for this thought-provoking story

I had forgotten about it until about 1/2 hour ago. Maybe she’s one in a million. She had raised babies before but parrots are very different to raise.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
then she hit me with “I want a 2-3 week old macaw who I will wean”.
She got lucky. She'd have tried it anyway without your friend's help and killed it. It was irresponsible of her to try raising one so young without prior experience or starting with an older young one.

I don't understand why she wouldn't even consider practicing at the breeder's for a few weeks first; she sounded otherwise intelligent. :shrug2:

Last edited: