• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Help me! help me!

T. gillii

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Link
i want a goffins 'too... someone pleeeease convince me out of it!

(PS, mess and noise don't bother me)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Why do you want a Goffin's 'too?

T. gillii

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Link
Why do you want a Goffin's 'too?
well, I really love cockatoos in general, but there's a certain goffin who won my heart... i overall love their personalities (a general statement, I know) and all that. If I can get a goffin (which wouldn't be for atleast 2 years) I can handle the screaming, broken wires, and toe biting.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
i want a goffins 'too... someone pleeeease convince me out of it!

(PS, mess and noise don't bother me)

How old are you?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
How about feather plucking, mutilation, the endless struggle to give the care they need. I am talking years. 30, 40, and more.

Perfect babies, awesome young birds,but then hormones hit, life keeps happening, and your beautiful baby changes.

Love and snuggles are great, its what comes later that is hard.

Can you handle it?

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@sunnysmom has some great stories of her Elvis! He sounds hilarious but for ME he's hilarious. I'm sure he's not always hilarious lol. He's into everything!:arghh::roflmao::facepalm::wideyed:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hi there! As much as I love Too's, your message is a bit freaky asking to be convinced out of it, therefore it's telling me you are unsure of really, REALLY wanting one.

I will say, depending on how old you are and life in general that my early life late teens to early adult I had NO time for birds larger than my Parrotlet. When you look at the giant picture (yes, no bigger picture with birds) it's a giant wall of life, their life! Not just us, our wants and desires but the life of a LONG lived companion. A huge commitment to all birds.

Thinking ahead, can you handle a demanding, loud sometimes annoying screaming, or music making, beak destroying little Too for many years to come? If so, go for it and research their care, their costs to feed, house, and spend lots of money on toys to Vet bills.

I an an enabler, so I am not much help. I will never talk anyone out of anything especially for a bird needing a great home. Just think ahead of the many variables of Parrot ownership.

Best of luck!

T. gillii

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Link
How about feather plucking, mutilation, the endless struggle to give the care they need. I am talking years. 30, 40, and more.

Perfect babies, awesome young birds,but then hormones hit, life keeps happening, and your beautiful baby changes.

Love and snuggles are great, its what comes later that is hard.

Can you handle it?

I actually don't want a baby, I plan to adopt an older bird. But i do plan to do more research into plucking and self mutilating.

this is actually the bird I fell in love with 20181116_163355.jpg

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

I actually don't want a baby, I plan to adopt an older bird. But i do plan to do more research into plucking and self mutilating.

this is actually the bird I fell in love with View attachment 290348
Very cute! And yes to adopting an older bird. :dance5:

As much as there is information out there on birds who pluck, and those who mutilate - medical reasons as well as behavior are the reasons as to why. Breaking the habit is very hard once it's become a habit seeing birds who do this some find it euphoric and it feels good to do as much as it's sad for us to see and understand.

We will be taking our Too in very soon to have a skin scraping tested to see if there is any yeast present that is causing her to do what she has for so long. If her skin is medically clear, then we know that her issue is more a behavioral issue. We cover her with a vest, but she still pulls and manages to work on her legs, and chew her talons. Her feather growth is fuzz she's a fuzz butt.

It is complicated to try to figure out. I am not defeated by this just yet.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I got my cockatoo when she was just a baby and I was in college (used my financial aid $$ - one of the best investments I have made to date). She's now 28, and I can't imagine a better friend through the years. So, I can't convince you not to do it, but I can tell you that I'm an animal person, I somehow seem to connect with them very well, and I never have the misconception that they're tiny, feathered or furry people. That may be key - are you expecting some fairy-tale version of a companion, or are you prepared to learn about a wild animal in your home? They have needs and expectations that may not always neatly dovetail with your own.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If this is the bird that you like can you get her now or are you just considering getting a different one some time in the future? Every bird is different so one can generalize about Goffin's behaviors but really depends on the individual bird when it comes to screaming, plucking, etc. Neither of my 'toos, Goffin's and BE2, pluck but they both scream although generally just at night. I got my Goffin's when she was about 8 mos. old and have had her for 29 years and I got my BE2 when she was about 11 weeks old and she is now 26 years old. My BE2 has a history of stress seizures so have to be careful with her.

Goffin's are very intelligent and mechanical. They can easily take things apart and can figure out how to open their cage doors. It's good to provide them with foraging and problem solving toys. When out, mine likes to bother other birds and that is NOT a good thing because she tends to be aggressive towards other birds although she usually gets along well with Casey, Blue-fronted Amazon. She will chew on walls and rip things up so important to supervise and also important to make sure that cage doors are secure so she doesn't let herself out. She is a friendly bird but not all that cuddly although she likes to have her head scratched. If I bring her downstairs with me she usually jumps off of me or a stand, hops upstairs, goes back into the bird room and then does whatever she wants. She is fairly independent. I appreciate her intelligence and curiosity and have no regrets getting her.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am all in favor of adopting older birds. My goffin is at least 25- could be much older, we don't know. If you are young though, I would say to wait. High school/college- you don't know what's ahead of you yet and 'toos are a lot of work. And needy. Although I will say, I think goffins are fairly independent compared to other cockatoos. My goffin is a nonstop ball of energy. There are days that he completely wears me out. Don't get me wrong, I love him. But if you're looking for a docile bird, a goffin is not that. And I know you say you can handle screaming but have you listened to long term screaming? Like 45 minutes of it? With work, Elvis's screaming is much improved. But he still screams. And he has given some bad bites to my fiancé. He loves to play. Which is great. But that also means we go though 6-10 toys a week. Seriously. So, assuming on average the toys are $10 a toy, I'm spending $60-$100 on toys a week. A sizeable expense. Elvis is a good bird. He really is. He's sweet and funny but he's work. Oh, and he's super smart and an escape artist. As most goffins are. I love my goffin but they aren't for everyone. Which is why our rescue gets them frequently. However, if you're at a point in your life where your life is stable and you can take on the financial commitment, they are great birds.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Can you keep your cheekie safe? Flying onto each others cage can result in death, beak/toe loss.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I was like you wanting to adopt a Goffins ..I did all the research and thought I had my family ready ..and I did adopt ...and now I have to rehome him almost 2 yrs later ..not because of me but because of my family ... Its one thing to think your ready for a Too its another thing to actually live with one ....The screaming is one thing to think you can handle and another to live with ...my family gave it a good go but they just cant any more ...make sure who you live with can live with your Too ...there are things the research doesn't prepare you for like the screaming non stop at times ...the biting at times ...but really its the screaming for my family ...all I can say is make sure you can live with and all the people in your home can live with it cuz it heart breaking when you have to give up something you love ...