• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

20 Facts About Amazon Parrots

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Interesting read!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Great read! I totally enjoyed this and on many levels we match many of the details. Makes me happy to read bolstering info on such a wonderful species!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Makes me want an Amazon. The Catholic Charity apartments where I live don't allow birds larger than budgies. I don't like the way the writer calls them house pets though.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Did you know that Amazons are the most trainable parrot? I did not
:think1: Somebody needs to tell Lola and Henry... they weren't standing in line when trainability was being handed out.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Makes me want an Amazon. The Catholic Charity apartments where I live don't allow birds larger than budgies. I don't like the way the writer calls them house pets though.
:shocked3: Whachu talkin' about Willis?.... :D

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Hey!

Secret learned a trick very, very easily. The owner is the slow poke.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It's funny...although I have a healthy respect for Macs and 'zons, I've never really had a relationship with either species...Greys and 'toos, on the other hand, seem to like me, for some reason...

Capt T.

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hoo boy, this reads like a 6th grade report on Amazons. Much muuch better research and info available with a little bit of looking,.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
That was an interesting read. I don’t know much about Amazons.

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
After a 10 year relationship with our Red Lored, Bo, I’d probably have been able to guess most all 20. I’ve been bitten by Cockatoos but Amazons are in a class all their own.........But they can be soooooo sweet.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
After a 10 year relationship with our Red Lored, Bo, I’d probably have been able to guess most all 20. I’ve been bitten by Cockatoos but Amazons are in a class all their own.........But they can be soooooo sweet.
And smell so goooooood

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Hoo boy, this reads like a 6th grade report on Amazons. Much muuch better research and info available with a little bit of looking,.
Well, I am like a sixth grader when it comes to Amazons, so I enjoyed this informative link.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Very good post, LJ. I had no idea that Amazons got that big.

Capt T.

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
1) Amazon parrots are found from Mexico and all through South America. They are considered New World parrots.
2) There are 37 different species in the class Amazona .
3) Aside from some genetic mutations ( which casue the bird to be blue), Amazon parrots are primarily green , with smaller places of other colors (head, chest, neck or other places). Many have flashes of brilliant colors on flight feathers, not visible when the bird is at rest.
4) Amazons are messy eaters, flinging food all over the place. In the wild they are responsible for diseminating seeds as they do this.
5) Unlike other birds, Amazon parrots appear a dull brown when wet after a bath or shower. This because ther feathers reflect light of certain frequencies and that is disrupted by water. They quickly return to their natural Green or other colors as they dry.
6) The "Hot 3" Amazon species - Double Yellow Head, Blue Fronted and the Yellow Nape , are what most people are familiar with and by far these 3 are the most popular Amazons kept as companion parrots, however there are many species available on a limited basis, that are considered to be milder in disposition than the Hot 3.
7) Talking ability is slightly higher in the Hot 3 than other Amazon species, but many do talk quite well. Talking is a individual parrot thing. Some do and some do not, even in species known for it.
8) Amazons are the "Comeback Kids of the parrot world, and individuals that were mistreated or ignored and then re-homed do fine, if properly socialized. Not so with Cockatoos or Grey parrots
9) Amazons rarely pluck their feathers. Instead, they are more likely to become screamers, in t he attempt to get attention.
10) Amazons need at least some part of your day where they feel they are the center of your attention.
11) Amazons, unlike other parrot species, have very clear body language which clearly inicates their moods and intentions. They are very easy to read and beware the person who ignores these. There is no "bait and switch' like Greys do or the bluffing that Macaws do. Eyes pinned, tail feathers fanned out, body feathers raised up - the next step is a bite. Amazons are very honest in that sense. They do not suffer fools gladly.
12) Amazon parrots, unlike most other parrots, do not have a preening gland. The preening gland secrets an oil, which is distributed by other species on the feathers, during preening. Amazons preen, zipping back up any feathers that have become frayed or disturbed.
13) Amazons in the wild do not mate for life; instead mates may stay together for several seasons, producing clutches of eggs and chicks, and then move on to other birds.
14) Amazons love to laugh. They may not all talk,but it's the rare one who does not pick up on at least 1 familty members laugh, and use it comically. Most pick up several different ones.
15) Avocado is deadly for Amazons to eat, as is chocolate and many other foods of todays processed and refined world. They need a diet of veggies, fruits and seeds and not a lot of the last one.
16) Amazons will get overweight and porky if only feed on seed, like sunflower seeds. This also promotes fatty liver diisease. They need a lot of excersise to maintain good mucle tone and body weight. Flying or a lot of play time on the gym is needed.
17) Amazons, like a lot of larger parrots, live a long time, with some species going into their 50's and 60's, with proper care, so provisions need to be made to care for them, since they usually out live theirowners.