• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Birdsafe humane rat/mouse trap???

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Still waiting to hear back from the vet, but I don't want to wait on getting a trap just in case. Anyone know of a safe, non-lethal trap?

Please bear in mind that I have;

1 large dog
1 small dog
1 flock of birds
1very tiny baby crested gecko

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you. I appreciate the help
One thing to keep in mind, if you do catch a mouse, you need to take it like a mile from your house or it will come back. I swear we caught the same mouse 5 times before we finally took him far enough away that he didn't come back.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Also if it does end up being a rodent issue try to find where they are coming in at and plug the hole up.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
One thing to keep in mind, if you do catch a mouse, you need to take it like a mile from your house or it will come back. I swear we caught the same mouse 5 times before we finally took him far enough away that he didn't come back.
I think I do have something. When I got back home today, I noticed that something had been on top of the gecko tank. Whatever it was shelled a sunflower seed. None of my birds were out and it didn't appear to have been thrown there, as there were a few small pieces dumped on top. I know that wasn't there before I went to bed, either.

I'm not even sure if I CAN legally release it. Push comes to shove, I'll take care of it like any other animal I own if I have to (minus the handling). Little guy/s or gal/s can serve out their sentences in furry baby jail.

Also if it does end up being a rodent issue try to find where they are coming in at and plug the hole up.
I will. We plugged up a hole once with steel wool a few years back. I don't think it got in that way, the wool was undisturbed.

Lidia Newsom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lidia Newsom
A variety of rodent traps available in the market, the most common of which is bait traps. Electronic traps can be effective for trapping and killing mice and rats. Any of the methods may be a good starting point if you believe you only have a small mouse or rat infestation. The best way to trap rats is to contact rat exterminator NYC who will give you a permanent solution over the rat problem.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I wish it was illegal to release them because they will end up being the same sort of problem for other people as they were for the ones trapping them. I really like that you said you were going to care for it yourself, that is very humane and also caring to others in the community :) Best idea I have heard of yet.

D

Deleted member 29421

Do not keep them if you catch them. Drive them out to a field far far away and let them go. Then disinfect. Rodents carry all kinds of diseases that you really dont want to risk being exposed to.