• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Fearless

CharmeC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I brought my parrotlet Skyfall home this past weekend and in a week he already owns the house lol I don't know if I am just used to my lovebirds being fraidy cats (even the hand tame Vulture will freak out if I try to walk out of a room with him on my finger, they are like so wary of switching rooms) or if Skyfall is simply fearless. If I leave him in my room with the door open and walk to the kitchen he'll fly over to track me down LOL He lets me carry him to any spot in the house and will hop onto any surface I set him in front of, again unlike the lovebirds who are terrified of anything they've not perched on before. On the other hand, he's not cuddly and will not stay on my finger or shoulder for long, he always wants to fly around and check out different spots. I wonder if he'll settle down more with time or learn to fly over to my finger when I wag it?
46438421_358003961637609_4545326016335183872_n.jpg

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What a handsome and adventurous young fella. :xflove:

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
My new parrotlet harasses my other birds like crazy. Chirps hasn't learned the Birdroom Ettiqette or to stay away from my IRN. Chirps still thinks he's the big boss but is learning fast that if you mess with the other birds, they'll mess with you and cages aren't off limits! An open door may seem like an invitation to visit, but that goes both ways!

Skyfall will learn, but until then, your job is to be protector! He probably doesn't realize how tiny thus vulnerable he is!

CharmeC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
My new parrotlet harasses my other birds like crazy. Chirps hasn't learned the Birdroom Ettiqette or to stay away from my IRN. Chirps still thinks he's the big boss but is learning fast that if you mess with the other birds, they'll mess with you and cages aren't off limits! An open door may seem like an invitation to visit, but that goes both ways!

Skyfall will learn, but until then, your job is to be protector! He probably doesn't realize how tiny thus vulnerable he is!
To my surprise, He is not hostile towards Vulture, instead he likes to follow him around and stick close to him if I let both out at the same time. Vulture, on the other hand, is mean and tries to attack Skyfall's feet. I decided I'd better not let them hang out even under supervision in case Skyfall bonds with Vulture who already has a mate.
46323415_2304889536410003_6837677369336004608_n.jpg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Skyfall is gorgeous - and has such a unique name. Love the photos!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Great pics!

Chirps is funny sorta. He wants to play with the other bird's toys but doesn't want to reciprocate! He went into my Sunday's cage to taste her treats then ate my Sunday's raspberry. Chirps got all upset because my Sunday went and are his raspberry.
(I apologize for the fuzziness.) 20181116_205155.jpg 20181116_201759.jpg

I know this is a poor pic but just had to add it because this is his personality: AddText_11-16-08.38.50.JPEG

A great read is the PARROTLET PLACE forum!

CheckeredTail

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tsushi
On the other hand, he's not cuddly and will not stay on my finger or shoulder for long, he always wants to fly around and check out different spots. I wonder if he'll settle down more with time or learn to fly over to my finger when I wag it?
View attachment 290263

It might take time, but you can totally teach him "come here". Curtis learned to come land on me (or near me) when I called him. Usually on our heads, shoulders or hands. Just start training and you can totally achieve that! He might never be super cuddly, but Curtis would always get a bit snugly once he was tired and ready for bed.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
I don't know if I am just used to my lovebirds being fraidy cats . . . or if Skyfall is simply fearless.
Possibly a bit of both. That said, parrotlets - especially happy, healthy, well-adjusted parrotlets - are incredibly fearless, especially given their size!

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
@Mark & Da Boyz corrected me perfectly: "No YNA are just overgrown Parrotlets is all.:toofunny:"

My Chirps is tiny and cute, but just yesterday, he took on my Sunday and was sure he'd win that birdwar. "Do you not realize she a million times your size!?!" I scooped him up just in time to have him bite the H E double hockey sticks out of me!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Parrotlets sure are fearless little featherballs. Twitter might be afraid sometimes if he sits on my shoulder and I go down to the basement, but that's only because I used that trick several times to get him to a dark room and catch him when he refused to bath... Now I found another way to catch him so the basement is not that scary anymore, still I feel him tense but he keeps his ground, you don't think a stupid basement is enough to scare him, right?! He wouldn't go on his own, but on my shoulder it is safe and he can do anything. Also when I use the vacuum cleaner, he was scared first but came back because curiosity is always stronger. Now he doesn't care anymore, the vacuum cleaner is just a noisy beast.
You are very right in that you should never let your parrotlet unsupervised with your other birds. And having other birds entering a parrotlet's cage is an appeal to crime. Budgie Merlin nearly lost a foot when he tried it. He was bleeding quite badly and was shocked for a good while, but he didn't learn the lesson. Several times after that he would try and land on Twitter's cage, so I kept it closed when all the birds were out. Now Merlin has a new friend so he doesn't care about Twitter and his cage, no one tries to enter there anymore and it can stand open again. But they are never left together on their own. They can fly together if one of us is in the room with them but as soon as he is being a bad boy, Twitter is back in the kitchen in detention (I don't have a door to the kitchen but a mosquito net-curtain does the trick). Never trust a parrotlet...
As for cuddles, Twitter would sit on my finger in the late afternoon and sleep while I type. I can then approach a finger and offer to scratch him. To do that I present my finger slowly a little aside his neck and wait. If he wants cuddle he would open his beak and kind of gently lick the tip, then offer his neck or the side of his beak. So I can scratch him, or stroke, or he uses my finger to do it himself. Only around the neck and on the head, he won't let me touch him anywhere else and I read that only lovers are allowed to touch other parts of a bird's body so that's fair enough. I wouldn't want to give him the wrong impression and leave him frustrated!!

CharmeC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Parrotlets sure are fearless little featherballs. Twitter might be afraid sometimes if he sits on my shoulder and I go down to the basement, but that's only because I used that trick several times to get him to a dark room and catch him when he refused to bath... Now I found another way to catch him so the basement is not that scary anymore, still I feel him tense but he keeps his ground, you don't think a stupid basement is enough to scare him, right?! He wouldn't go on his own, but on my shoulder it is safe and he can do anything. Also when I use the vacuum cleaner, he was scared first but came back because curiosity is always stronger. Now he doesn't care anymore, the vacuum cleaner is just a noisy beast.
You are very right in that you should never let your parrotlet unsupervised with your other birds. And having other birds entering a parrotlet's cage is an appeal to crime. Budgie Merlin nearly lost a foot when he tried it. He was bleeding quite badly and was shocked for a good while, but he didn't learn the lesson. Several times after that he would try and land on Twitter's cage, so I kept it closed when all the birds were out. Now Merlin has a new friend so he doesn't care about Twitter and his cage, no one tries to enter there anymore and it can stand open again. But they are never left together on their own. They can fly together if one of us is in the room with them but as soon as he is being a bad boy, Twitter is back in the kitchen in detention (I don't have a door to the kitchen but a mosquito net-curtain does the trick). Never trust a parrotlet...
As for cuddles, Twitter would sit on my finger in the late afternoon and sleep while I type. I can then approach a finger and offer to scratch him. To do that I present my finger slowly a little aside his neck and wait. If he wants cuddle he would open his beak and kind of gently lick the tip, then offer his neck or the side of his beak. So I can scratch him, or stroke, or he uses my finger to do it himself. Only around the neck and on the head, he won't let me touch him anywhere else and I read that only lovers are allowed to touch other parts of a bird's body so that's fair enough. I wouldn't want to give him the wrong impression and leave him frustrated!!
Awww Skyfall goes anywhere in the house on my shoulder too, a little while ago he was grinding his beak while perching on my left shoulder, I am very touched that he feels so comfy with me. I also do the same thing you do with head scritches! He won't let me pet him with my finger, but if he's grooming and closed his eyes and I start scritching him with a finger he'll puff up and turn his head this way and that way for scritches XDDD

Last edited:

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Yesterday, my Chirps is still new to our flock. He was an only bird and doesn't understand reciprocating yet. He can climb all over me and go anywhere with me, but I better not try to touch him or get him to Step Up!

Chirps has some pin feathers that I'd love to a scritch but can't get close. How'd you do it?

CharmeC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Yesterday, my Chirps is still new to our flock. He was an only bird and doesn't understand reciprocating yet. He can climb all over me and go anywhere with me, but I better not try to touch him or get him to Step Up!

Chirps has some pin feathers that I'd love to a scritch but can't get close. How'd you do it?
Just wait till he's already grooming himself with his eyes closed so he can't see your finger coming haha

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Thanks @CharmeC! Sounds good! All the birds preen themselves and nap after dinner. I'll just open his cage. Maybe that will encourage him to preen and nap on me rather than in his cage.

CharmeC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thanks @CharmeC! Sounds good! All the birds preen themselves and nap after dinner. I'll just open his cage. Maybe that will encourage him to preen and nap on me rather than in his cage.
Every day I take Skyfall out and put him on my pc desk and he'll sit there and preen himself or doze off like a little figurine lol

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
He is a beautiful parrotlet! Even though they are sooo tiny... they pack a punch... little mini amazons! Many years ago on this forum there was a member that had a couple as well as other birds and somehow the parrolets invaded someone elses space... like they do ... and his upper beak was ripped off by another bird. ( I think his name was Kermit) Supervision with the little guys is a must. But that is a cute photo of the lovie and Skyfall preening.

CharmeC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
lol I am flabbergasted. I added a zebra finch to my bird family and Skyfall totally freaked out. Even when he ventured to perch on her cage he still eyed her very suspiciously. Seeing her in the same room made him so nervous he didn't even want to stay still for his first taste of a Nutriberry!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have been very impressed with Neptune's fearlessness. He is very curious. Even if something startles him at first. He will quickly take a second to observe it and process it. He has also been a very quick and easy adapter to new perch proposals. I keep placing them all around my house to he has a nicer surface to stand on. He loves looking out of the window. He taunts the miner birds, because he has learned that they can't swoop him.