• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rant about chain pet stores

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
It breaks my heart whenever we go to most pet stores here in town, but today was an especially bad day. There is a black cap conure that has been there at our normal store for few months and he is an "escape artist." I personally don't think he'd be so "escape-prone" if they had the right bar spacing there but this comes in later. He's been there for a while now but today when we walked in, I saw a bare spot surrounded by down feathers. He also had deeply black tipped shoulder feathers (on typically green ones I'd seen before) that I can only assume are stress bars. This poor little guy had plucked a lot of his chest leading up to his head and seemed to be distressed. I've never EVER seen an pyrrhura conure pluck so, as you can imagine, my mind started racing. I immediately went over to him and sat next to the (ground level) cage, clicking my tongue at the little guy. After seeing us watching him for a while, the manager chimed in to say that the feathers were "worn away" from his incessant struggling against the bars. Yeah, right.
First off, if he had good bar spacing that didn't allow him to get half of his body out, that wouldn't happen. Second off, I saw him actively plucking a few down feathers, and if anything, it's from the irritation of shoving himself against the too-wide bars! The manager and employees were whistling to the rosella above him and talking about the rosie a bit, as if to avert attention from this little guy (though I may have simply assumed this in my anger). This poor baby was so attention starved, as his flashy upstairs neighbor, the fully feathered eastern rosella, was catching everyones' eyes (and ears).
After I'd been by his cage for about 10 minutes and he decided I was safe, he let me give him some scritches, reaching out of the bars to grab my attention. He was so sweet and my heart broke and melted all at once. I wish he could find a home but deep down, I know that if he's bought he'll just be replaced by another bird who will easily end up in the same situation as him. Who knows, maybe the pet store will eventually drop his price and give in, but that's doubtful.
I'm honestly very angry, this was the one store in my town that I felt comfortable buying from and supporting because they seemed to do very well in comparison with others. They've been feeding their birds decently and have actual toys in there! Now I don't know if I can face supporting them anymore. Ugh, I'm simply disgusted. I suppose I should've expected as much from a big chain store.
:atomic:
Rant over, sorry that this post is mostly just me ranting and raving, just had to get it out of my system to people who understand how I feel here. Not about how well this fits with this section of the Avenue but felt it fit best in the conure court for those who want to read.
Here's some pictures of the sweet boy, bless his little avian heart.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That is so sad, he is a little cutie pie. I hope some loving person buys him really soon and gives him a wonderful home and life.

D

Deleted member 29421

If its a big chain pet store, see if they have a twitter account and then post the pics and complain publicly about the dangers of improper bar spacing and his general condition. Explain that you can no longer bear to see him like that and can no longer shop there because of it. Tag animal welfare accounts too, to bring it to their attention. Its amazing what the fear of public scrutiny can do. Remember the motto "Silence is acceptance"

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Just a bit of an update. Couldn't find a way to contact them by email so I went ahead and left a review. The manager seemed to reply to about every review, hopefully I can contact them that way. But my mom actually said she'd be willing to talk with the manager and even take this little guy in, IF she can get him at the breeder's price (not giving the store any profit) and IF we can convince my dad and change things around the house. If we do get this guy, I want everyone fully on board. But for now, just trying to contact the shop before we go in on Tuesday (hopefully). In the very least, I want to see if we can actually get them to change bar spacing for him, because the next black cap that ends up there is going to end up just like him. Don't want to rush this all, though, I need to thread carefully.
If anyone on here remembers the craigslist corellas we want to help, yes, we are still wanting to do something for Mickey and Houdini, their ad is still up. Taking on a bit much on right now but I'm excited. Hopefully we can help out all three of these guys, probably Mickey and Houdini's roadtrip first. It's a bit chaotic but it all may happen. :)
Here's the review:

Attachments

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:shakehead: He is either sick or plucking or both. And they should be aware, there was a little escape artist quaker that ended up being run over by a cart. The chain store made nothing on him because they surrendered him to the vet in lieu of extensive medical bills. I asked the kid if he made it and he smiled and said he didn't think so. :rant: I was so heartbroken. But later, I found out, he did make it and went home with the vet tech (broken leg and some other internal injuries). So, that little bird is on a time limit in my opinion. You likely won't get his fees down, they don't care. I wonder if that is a freaking policy for them all... but yes, he'll be replaced but at least this one will be safe. I'd buy him but this is why I don't go in pet stores either...they let Zephyr (8 month old cheek) sleep on top of his cage because they couldn't get him to go inside...he was next to a large open koi pond...clipped. That was the exact deciding factor on why he came home. But if you don't or can't purchase him, please let us know where this little soul lives and maybe something can be done.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
:shakehead: He is either sick or plucking or both. And they should be aware, there was a little escape artist quaker that ended up being run over by a cart. The chain store made nothing on him because they surrendered him to the vet in lieu of extensive medical bills. I asked the kid if he made it and he smiled and said he didn't think so. :rant: I was so heartbroken. But later, I found out, he did make it and went home with the vet tech (broken leg and some other internal injuries). So, that little bird is on a time limit in my opinion. You likely won't get his fees down, they don't care. I wonder if that is a freaking policy for them all... but yes, he'll be replaced but at least this one will be safe. I'd buy him but this is why I don't go in pet stores either...they let Zephyr (8 month old cheek) sleep on top of his cage because they couldn't get him to go inside...he was next to a large open koi pond...clipped. That was the exact deciding factor on why he came home. But if you don't or can't purchase him, please let us know where this little soul lives and maybe something can be done.
That's awful! People are unbelievably ignorant and hateful sometimes. I believe we could take him in but I'd have to convince my dad to adopt him. I already know what would have to change around the house to make it safe for him and my mom is on board with it all. If we don't think we can, I'll definitely let everyone on here know, hopefully someone is in the position to adopt him if we find we aren't.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I ended up with a green cheek conure because of a similar situation. I saw this bird sitting in a small enclosure in a pet store. The bird was receiving no/little contact with other people or birds. I visited her for a few months and felt so bad for her. Then, the light over her enclosure burnt out and the bird sat in the dark for several weeks. I talked with the manager on several occasions, but nothing I said made any difference. Eventually, I adopted the bird because I just could not stand to see her living in those conditions. It was heartbreaking!!!!!

I sure hope this little guy gets a home too!!!!!

Mark & Da Boyz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I go to the chain stores as little as I can and then I get what I need and leave. I can't stand yo see the birds in those places, breaks my heart.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
You can, believe it or not reach corporate of the big stores. I noticed in a local large chain store they did not put toys at all in the cages. All the little GCC did was sit on a perch 24/7. I asked the manager and he said they do what corporate tells them to do....so I called corporate. I told them it was abuse and unacceptable. The next week I went in and there was a great assortment of toys in the cage. At another store they had a sweet little Cockatiel alone in a dirty cage. I asked the sales person and they said they had to separate it from the rest because it was getting picked on....I said...thats one issue, what I want to know is why is it so nasty? I asked to speak to the manager and said I would check back in a few days and if this was not corrected I would call corporate and complain about that store ( I would rain hell down on them one way or another). Guessed it....it worked, I went back three days later and the little tiel was in a proper cage. Sometimes honey works, sometimes vinegar.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I asked to speak to the manager and said I would check back in a few days and if this was not corrected I would call corporate and complain about that store ( I would rain HE double hockey sticks down on them one way or another). Guessed it....it worked, I went back three days later and the little tiel was in a proper cage. Sometimes honey works, sometimes vinegar.
That would be a good thing to dangle over them. It could possibly give leverage in at least better treatment if we can't adopt this little one. I have a feeling someone else complained because I remember a year or so ago when basically every store had one or no toys and only seed diets. Now this one store has changed to having a few toys per cage, one perch that isn't a dowel, and a bit of greens/fruit in their bowls. It's definitely much better than it's been but still no good for many reasons.

Then, the light over her enclosure burnt out and the bird sat in the dark for several weeks. I talked with the manager on several occasions, but nothing I said made any difference. Eventually, I adopted the bird because I just could not stand to see her living in those conditions. It was heartbreaking!!!!
I don't know if you can tell in any of the pictures but he has no light. Theres a spot above for it but it either doesn't work or isn't there! Poor baby is also on the ground-level cage (which shouldn't even exist imo!) which certainly doesn't help him. No wonder he's so stressed.

I go to the chain stores as little as I can and then I get what I need and leave. I can't stand yo see the birds in those places, breaks my heart.
I just need to quit going to those places and order pet products directly from sellers I trust. We really don't get much, just mice for Copper every three weeks and cat food/litter for Els every month or so. It really wouldn't be too much of a hassle to buy direct, and I'd much rather support those reputable sellers than these gigantic chains that can't/won't keep up with every store's care.

Thank you all for the well wishes for this guy, I'll try to update this thread whenever I can or if something happens.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
I just discussed the matter of this little guy with my dad and while he understands why I want to adopt him, he doesn't want to support the chain store because it'll simply perpetuate the neglective care of those unfortunate enough to be hatched into these stores' providers. While I know exactly where he's coming from, I just can't bare to see this guy waste away there. He says he'll gladly discuss it more with both me and my mom (this talk was one-on-one with me and him) but I know deep down that he's exactly right. If we get this guy he'll just be replaced by another bird who will live through the same. I want to think we could negotiate price but I didn't even bring it up with him. I don't really know what to do here, I don't ever want to support these stores to buy more birds but I feel I have to save this little one. Maybe I need to learn to let go of some things.

Lambandthimble

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessica
So, new to Avian Avenue as a regular poster, but I wanted to chime in as someone who has worked at large pet chains (both PetSmart and Petco.)

- Going through corporate is a great tip.
- In many cases when I worked where larger birds (some stores I've worked for had Conures and Cockatiels, and some only carried Budgies and Finches) were sold, if they seemed like they weren't going to sell or that they weren't doing well we sometimes would adopt them out. ASK! "Will you adopt this bird out? It is obviously not fairing well here and we can offer it the best care." And see if they will adopt it out for a small adoption fee or something.
- Keep checking in and making sure they're trying to change the life for this bird, and if not, keep being active on social media.

Good Luck!! I understand where your dad is coming from, but maybe a small adoption fee would change his mind. I don't know, but it's a sad situation regardless.

My heart goes out for that little baby. :sad3:

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
So, new to Avian Avenue as a regular poster, but I wanted to chime in as someone who has worked at large pet chains (both PetSmart and Petco.)

- Going through corporate is a great tip.
- In many cases when I worked where larger birds (some stores I've worked for had Conures and Cockatiels, and some only carried Budgies and Finches) were sold, if they seemed like they weren't going to sell or that they weren't doing well we sometimes would adopt them out. ASK! "Will you adopt this bird out? It is obviously not fairing well here and we can offer it the best care." And see if they will adopt it out for a small adoption fee or something.
- Keep checking in and making sure they're trying to change the life for this bird, and if not, keep being active on social media.

Good Luck!! I understand where your dad is coming from, but maybe a small adoption fee would change his mind. I don't know, but it's a sad situation regardless.

My heart goes out for that little baby. :sad3:
Thank you for the reply, I guess I got a bit hopeless after talking with my dad. But seeing your reply, especially since you've worked for these chains, really helps. Hopefully we can negotiate with the store (and my dad with that). He seems to be on board with adopting a parrot, just rightfully worried about supporting chain store breeding. This little guy seems to be the most extreme case at any of the local stores of this chain so maybe they'll allow him to be adopted out or at LEAST for a lower price that would reduce if not eliminate their profit.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Just visited the store and he's gone, wasn't sure if he was bought or if he was somewhere getting his nails trimmed or whatnot but I didn't get the chance to ask. My dad brought me there today and he was just in and out of there as fast as he could go. The "door" (panel over an open space, just held there by two locks) to his cage is gone which is strange but I heard the manager talking to someone saying they're getting two cockatiels soon so I think he's truly gone.
Also heard the manager trying to convince someone who'd just come in the buy a parrotlet because they can talk and sent an employee to literally dig his hands around the budgie cage to grab one. The manager was saying how surprised they were with this group of budgies because they're open to being handled. No wonder the previous ones weren't, ugh.
I guess I shouldn't have expected him to stay there much longer, I can only hope he found a good home. I'm just really upset, I should have left there as soon as the employee started grabbing for the budgies. It feels like my eyes are open to their horrible treatment, despite my previous thought of them being the best store in town.
We'll be buying online from now on, that's all I have to say there. :kickout: