• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two 'toos in need

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
As some of you may have seen, I created a thread on the cockatoo forum section about what to do for two birds I found on craigslist. These two 'toos (pictures below) are Houdini and Mickey, Houdini is a normal long-billed corella, Mickey is an western long-billed. Mickey's 5 and Houdini is 10. They are both in pretty atrocious conditions and as much as I want to, our family cannot adopt them for several major reasons. But we still want to help and after I told my mom about birdie trains, she said she'd be happy to pay for the rehoming fee, drive them to their new home (or to another person who'd drive farther, depending on the distance), and even buy a good cage!
We want to help get these birds to a good home even though we cannot adopt them ourselves. We cannot guarantee that we will get them before anyone else but if anyone on here has the ability to adopt them, please let us know as soon as possible and we'll try our hardest to work something out. We're still in the early stages of trying to find more about getting them so it may not end up working out but we want to try as best we can to get them into a safe, permanent home.
Be aware that they may have health issues, we have never seen these two birds in real life but if it's any guess from all the rust on the cages, they could very possibly have some metal poisoning or other conditions. Be prepared to pay for some hefty medical bills if they have any issues, and please do not reply if you don't think you can cover some possibly expensive bills.
The two birds are in Arkansas (for time/travel reference) and I'm unsure how far my mom would be willing to travel but if anyone wants to adopt them or wants to help drive them, please reply here! We can try to work out times and distances once people start replying. I truly hope we can manage to get them a home!

If you guys can think of any questions I should ask them about, please reply with them and I'll be sure to ask. I'll definitely ask about food and any history they have on them, let me know if there's other specifics you want to know about.

(forgot the photos, sorry)

Attachments

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you for wanting to help these two. :heart2: I'm not sure of the difference between the normal and western long-billed corellas, but they are also known as slender-billed corellas, and if I'm not mistaken they are very good at taking apart their cages. Just another thing for their future owners to keep in mind. :) Sounds like Houdini may have come by his name honestly!

I remember reading about a brand of cage that didn't screw together? Not sure if they're still around or whether that would be enough to hold these two sweeties. :xflove:

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Thank you for wanting to help these two. :heart2: I'm not sure of the difference between the normal and western long-billed corellas, but they are also known as slender-billed corellas, and if I'm not mistaken they are very good at taking apart their cages. Just another thing for their future owners to keep in mind. :) Sounds like Houdini may have come by his name honestly!

I remember reading about a brand of cage that didn't screw together? Not sure if they're still around or whether that would be enough to hold these two sweeties. :xflove:
I think I just found what you were talking about. The AA Grande Dometop has several reviews from people owned by 'toos who are very happy that the cage has no screws! It's pretty big, too, 42"W 30"D 60"H. But it is 900 per cage! :eek: I suppose high quality is to be expected to cost lots.
I had been mostly considering the largest double cage from Natural Inspirations, even though it has screws, one cage for two birds is $1300 (though I'm sure a nightmare in shipping!). At least the other I can get free shipping on Amazon!
Lots to consider if we want to buy the cage(s).

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's it, Avian Adventures! :tup: I think they make all of their cages that way so there may be other options. Different vendors have different prices & promos. And don't forget Black Friday's coming up! :shop2:

Lots of places have free shipping. Also, if you end up rehoming to an AA member, a lot of us have cages already, so y'all wouldn't have to spend too much on one. :) Are the birds housed together already

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
That's it, Avian Adventures! :tup: I think they make all of their cages that way so there may be other options. Different vendors have different prices & promos. And don't forget Black Friday's coming up! :shop2:

Lots of places have free shipping. Also, if you end up rehoming to an AA member, a lot of us have cages already, so y'all wouldn't have to spend too much on one. :) Are the birds housed together already
Black Friday would be a great way to save, and I suppose I was getting a bit ahead of myself with cages! I'll be sure to look into other AA cages to have options in case their new home doesn't have a cage, just to be prepared. :)
I don't think they are housed together, all of the pictures on the ad show them apart in two different cages. I'm kinda relieved with that, I can't imagine any two birds would get along in such a small space, even the closest of birds would bicker!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Amazon and eBay have lots of dirt cheap but well enough made cages as long as you read reviews and pick something strong enough to withstand a big beak. I got a really nice generic Chinese made cage that has a Play too and 5 good quality ss cups and locking feeder doors for about 120 shipped for my Pionus. Probably not a good choice for a bigger Too but my bird loves it and so do I.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You and your family are amazing for trying to help these birds. I hope someone here can take them or a rescue can.

@BirdGuy21, do you know any rescues in that area?

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Anyone in a position to adopt these two? Their ad is still up and they're still needing a home! We'll probably start contacting rescues in the area to see if any have space and time this weekend if no one is able to take them in. Either way, we want to be sure they'll find a good home.

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Sorry I haven't updated on these two, been a bit busy. Their ad is still up so there's still hope! Haven't contacted the rescue yet because my mom wants to discuss it with my dad because it'll be a lot of driving. I'll keep you all updated and please reply if you want to adopt them, still open to any possible homes!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Thank you for the update. :) Hopefully there's a member here who has room and is up to the challenge!

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Finally sent an email to the rescue I hope take them to. Hopefully they're able to get back to me by tomorrow, I can only imagine how busy they are. Crossing my fingers that they'll have space for them and be able to take them in!

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
That was super fast! She's already replied and contacted an open foster upon seeing the two of them!! They're getting a foster mama!! :bliss:
I still need to reply to them and discuss with my mom what would be the best time to get them out, but holy crap, they have a safe place to land!!!!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Prayers up.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Great update :) Good luck with it all, I hope it all works out smoothly for you. :laughing12:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yayy hoping for a happy ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.