• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Muscle Atrophy

TimMacaw

Moving in
Hey Folks,
I was just wondering if the recommended course of action to begin repairing muscle atrophy, is to Slowly swing the bird on one's arm for a period of time daily to encourage wing use? Also, if there are any other tips that you could offer, I would really appreciate it. I believe Jelly has never learned to fly, and he may still never learn to fly due to being improperly fledged early in life. He can extend his wings, but rarely does. I usually find him making heart wings etc, and thats the extent of it. He goes in to the vet in a few days here, and was hoping to go into the vet with a plan of action regarding rehabbing his wings.
Thanks in Advance,

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
One of the first things you can do with Jelly is teach him the "Big Eagle", where he extends his wings as far as possible for a treat. You will be able to see just how much extension and flexibility he has now. I don't know how gentle Jelly is, but on birds with injured wings, I have put them on their back and physically extended the wings until they show discomfort - this needs to be done two or three times a day. Last on the list of getting them ready to fly is to hold them on your arm and raise your arm swiftly up and down to get them to flap their wings. Maybe Jelly will like flapping enough that he will hold onto his cage door and flap, flap, flap. My Hank took some really long trips this way.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
ML is right, my house we call it big bird. But before you do anything ask the vet please.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My big cockatoo and macaw have always liked to flap and swing around on a boing. I have one hanging from the ceiling in my living room and the macaw frequently flaps her wings and gets it spiraling all over the place.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Boings are excellent for exercise and wing flapping. 'Wee Birdie Spins", gently and slowly on the boing, should Pique Jellies Interest, to flap and spin. :)

$arge

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rafael
This info is interesting...my jack has never known to fly as well, now 18 and with an affinity for the taste of feathers, I try to get him to flap with no success....no boing, no arms. Thanks for sharing