• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Is chinchilla sand safe for birds?

CharmeC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I’d like to get some sand for my sparrow T. Rex to bathe in cause they do that in the wild. Does anyone know if chinchilla sand is safe for birds? I am aware that the other product called chinchilla dust is harmful even for hamsters due to its fine particles. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 29421

No, not safe. Use sterile garden soil or you can kill pathogens by baking regular dirt in a pan. Baking will kill any parasites, fungus etc.

CharmeC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I used to have chins and I would not allow the bathing to occur within breathing distances of your birds.
What type of sand would you recommend for my sparrow? Sadly I don’t have access to sandy ground to dig some up where I live.

D

Deleted member 29421

Huh! The texture of garden soil is good for sandbathing?

Its dust bathing and its just dried dirt. Dry, broken down dirt. The soil varies from one location to another so some dirt may be sandier than other dirt but theres nothing special about it. Having said that, you want actual soil and not the potting soil that has a lot of mulch in it. Just good old fashioned dirt.

Last edited by a moderator: