• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Best Betta Fish Care?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
While cleaning around the house this week, I discovered that we have an unused aquarium tank being kept in our shed. I went and asked my parents about it out of curiosity. My dad said it was probably a 10 or 15 gallon tank. He also said that it's been in there for a while and it hasn't been used again because me and my siblings apparently "don't like fish." This is not true. I've owned several Betta fish in my life and have enjoyed each and every one. I am assuming he said this because we have not mentioned ever getting a fish for a while now. The reason I have not mentioned this is because I did not think we would be allowed to get a fish. Whenever we have asked about getting a hamster or other small critter as a family pet they have never said anything like, "No, but you can get a fish instead," it always just been a "No" and that's it.

Anyways, the way my dad said it made it sound like they would allow fish in the house once again. They didn't say for sure and I haven't talked to them about it, but I just thought I'd post this first.

My next fish would probably be another Betta. They're small, beautiful, and are kept singly (which I prefer). I have always kept my other Betta fish in small, 1 gallon bowls, which I deeply regret, as I know I would not enjoy being kept in a tiny bowl. But this large 10-15 gallon tank would be huge for a Betta fish and I think one would love the space it allows.

I was just wondering what all would be needed and required for a Betta? Would a filter be needed? If so, what type? I've heard about that aquarium conditioner stuff? What is it and would it be needed? Basically, could anybody with any Betta care information just give me the basics? What's the best food for them? How much food? Etc, etc, etc...

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this beautiful fish. It's just been a while since I've owned one, and to be honest I do not think I have given it the best care.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Beta fish swim miles and miles in long shallow rivers but don't like fast currents, so a filter with a low "return strength"? Would be best. If you're keeping it on its own you don't need a fancy filter Anyway.

You could get live plants, these take up some of the waste that the fish produces anyway, they are also soft so it won't rip it's fins if swimming alongside it (Though they will need fertilising). if you are using a substrate make sure its thin as you can get gas bubbles where ammonia and co2 build up, once you've disterbed this it leeches it the water, killing the fish.

You need a heater, water temp needs to be around 26-28C.

Food can be crushed up flakes or pellets that are good quality. You could also offer brine shimp. If you feed too much the food hits the bottom of the floor, next time you feed offer less. Prevents ammonia build up.

Make sure you cycle your tank first to let bacteria build up, I've always used those water conditioners for fish.

Regular water changes (more often in the first 6 months) around 25-50% a week, regular water tests are needed (you're keeping the water, not the fish) is also needed around once or twice a week for an unstable tank.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I had a betta for a little over a year, and I kept him in a 10 gallon for the last 6 months I had him. They like a low filter flow, I used a tetra whisper 10gallon filter. I think we paid 20 dollars for it. Keep the temp around 78 (so you'll need a small heater.) A betta would do very well in a 10 or 15 gallon. Make sure you get lots of live or silk plants if you do get a betta, they like lots of cover. Also use a smoother gravel, something like river rock will be fine. A good test is to take a piece of pantyhose with you to the store when you buy plants/ decorations, and rub it on the decoration. If it rips or drags on the pantyhose, it's not safe to use with the betta because it might rip his fins.

With a tank that size, you might even be able to get away with a couple snails (I recommend nerites or mystery snails) or some pygmy corydora catfish. I personally didn't keep any other critters with my betta because he killed the 1 snail I had in there.

You'll need to let the tank cycle, if you dose with Tetra Safe Start + it'll take about 2 weeks. I've done so with all of my tanks, and they each took exactly 14 days to cycle. Once the tank cycles, you can put in a fish. You'll also need to dose the water with a conditioner to take out the chlorine and chloramine and heavy metals. I use API Stress Coat, the instructions are on the bottle. I suggest you also get a test kit, I have the API Master Liquid Test Kit, and while it cost 20 dollars, it's the best purchase I've made for my fish.

For food I used Omega One branded betta pellet, those are like the filet mignon of betta pellets. He also got occasional bloodworms as a treat.

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
I use a sponge filter for my betta tanks. And a very quite air pump to use it.

This is the air pump I use for the filter. Relatively Expensive but worth it to me. I cannot stand the sound most air pumps make or the look. But this one was sleek, small, and I can’t hear a thing.
Amazon.com : Mylivell Aquarium Air Pump Ultra Silent High Energy Saving Oxygen Air Pump Aquarium for Fish Tank with Air Stone and Silicone Tube (White Black) : Pet Supplies

Live plants or silk plants, heater, gravel (or not), a hide or two. If you do live plants you might need food for them. Also, almond leaves are great for Bettas. I always have one in the tanks and replace them once a week to every two weeks. I use prime on my water to treat it.

I feed Bug Bites & Omega One. Pus frozen foods the Hikari brand.