• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Something every bird owner should know (regarding quarantine and keeping you and your bird safe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
A very nice warning, and reminder, to quarantine a new bird and wash your hands and such after touching it! And vet visits, vet visits, vet visits!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thanks for posting that Brittany. I wish we could make every bird owner and before bird owner watch it. But we can't, so these sad stories will continue.

She got chlamydia, but there are others out there that a zoonotic (can be passed from human to bird and visa versa) . This is a repeat, but here is a list of most of the bird/human zoonotic diseases;
Zoonotic Diseases People Can Catch From Pet Birds

Plus Pulmonary Hypertensive Syndrome and MRSA.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
How does one catch pulmonary hypertension? That's new to me.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How do you safeguard against this? I wore a face mask when I first brought Java home just as a precaution when I cleaned his cage, but then I stopped. Recently, I started wearing the face mask again when I see the dander from him molting.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
First you are not in much danger unless you have underlying lung problems or if you have one of the dusty birds - cockatoos, cockatiels, African Grey are the major dusty birds.

If you keep your house reasonably, clean, have good circulation, an air purifier, and bath your bird regularly, and keep your bird's cage clean you are not in danger. You are not at risk.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
How does one catch pulmonary hypertension? That's new to me.

Sometimes humans can also get a form of it. It's basically super-allergies in a person. Think bad asthma triggered by bird feathers or poop dust and you're pretty close to what it looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.