• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Amputee Bird - Long-term stump care?

Tkah165

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone!

Species/Breed: Gloster Canary
Sex: Unknown, suspected female

Amputee for ~4-5 mo. No major issues. Eats great, energetic, and very mobile around the cage (strong flier, ‘walks’ across flat surfaces by using her stump as a leg). She occasionally lets the stump leg sag a little while on the perch and sits a big lower (in posture) than the other birds.

History: The breeder is a relative. A few months ago the canary’s leg got caught where the perch and wire bars of the cage meet and was hanging upside down for an unknown amount of time before it was discovered. The canary was removed to a hospital cage, at which point I adopted it/took over care. The portion of the leg below the joint turned black, dried up, and eventually fell off.

The bird has been w/o a leg for ~4-5 months. In the hospital cage I gave her a nest to sleep in, as I thought she might get tired trying to sleep one-legged. She used the nest religiously. Within the past month I have relocated her and two other canaries** (with their own quirks) to a 3ft flight cage (picture). The flight cage has flat corner perches, normal perches, ladders, and two nests. She tends to sleep on the flat corner platform or in a nest, but will occasionally sleep on the log ladder.

Getting to the point: I recently noticed how pink her stump is. I don’t know if this is a normal part of its appearance now or not, but it made me concerned that the more she uses her stump as a leg she might be prone to sores from using it too much? (Just guessing, no experience here). Does anyone have any ideas for how to minimize discomfort or complications for her? Canary safe materials or adjustments? One-legged bird insights?

-----------------------
** I recognize that keeping canaries communally is its own concern. They are peaceful at this time, but it is an issue on my radar.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
There are members here who can advise you.
Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. You may want to wrap the perches with vet wrap or non pilling fleece. You can also wrap the platform. The sisal rope on that ladder could be irritating and abrasive to the stump if she puts it down on that. Did you check with a vet to see if there are any creams or ointment you could put on the stump? I wonder if vetericyn or Avi-vera would be beneficial.
Thank you for adopting and caring for the canary.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Does anyone have any ideas for how to minimize discomfort or complications for her? Canary safe materials or adjustments? One-legged bird insights?
Welcome!

My bird has one leg, though his stump was amputated shorter than protocol, so it doesn't reach the floor of whatever he's standing on unless he leans on his side. For the most part, he only leans on the side that has his remaining leg, and he hasn't dealt with any irritation on his stump. However, I would recommend using non-piling fleece in your canary's cage so when she decides to use her stump, she isn't rubbing it against anything abrasive. If her stump becomes irritated, you could maybe wrap it in vet wrap to use as a padding to give her some relief.
You'll also want to make sure you keep her nails dulled and rounded so she doesn't get snagged on anything. I would also keep her flighted since that will help her tremendously with transportation. If there's anything else I can help with, you're more than welcomed to shoot me a message. There are also other members here who are way more knowledgeable about handicapped birds than I am. :)

Tkah165

Thank you for the advice!

You'll also want to make sure you keep her nails dulled and rounded so she doesn't get snagged on anything. :)
Any ideas how to do this with a canary? Do you use a dremel? I worry about stressing them. My perception of glosters is that they are a little more stress-prone than others. I periodically trim her nails and vent feathers (since her tends to carry her bum low she gets some poop build) with small scissors.

I would also keep her flighted since that will help her tremendously with transportation.
Could you elaborate on this point? I'm admittedly not historically much of a bird person (sorry! :backout:), these guys just stole my heart! (The other two are 50% and 80% hand-reared by me due to issues with parental neglect/failure to thrive)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
@Garet Might be able to help you too. I believe he has a love bird, Geralt, who has a stump too. Closer in size to a canary but any suggestions may help.

parrotkid

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlin
I have an amputee bird, sadly she does not even have a stump or the abdominal muscle either as it was torn clean out. Her road to being an amputee is very traumatic.

Here is what I do for her:-

I bought her a large rat cage, this has ladders and levels so she doesn't have to stress too much but can still get exercise.
I cover natural branches in padding and then vet wrap.
She is an aviary bird, so it is hard. I cannot handle her like I wish to. I got her a friend and they get along great, her friend is hand raised but very protective, because my amputee girl does not want human affection, this was a better option.
Fresh fruit and veg daily as you would with all birds
I have a towel in there sometimes when I am supervise for a soft surface, she chews it otherwise, but you want those soft surfaces as they will always be relying on one foot now and that can cause bumblefoot.

Hopefully this helps a little!

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have an amputee bird, sadly she does not even have a stump or the abdominal muscle either as it was torn clean out. Her road to being an amputee is very traumatic.

Here is what I do for her:-

I bought her a large rat cage, this has ladders and levels so she doesn't have to stress too much but can still get exercise. Obviously this is not a viable option for a cockatoo, but making your own levels and ladders might be.
I cover natural branches in padding and then vet wrap.
She is an aviary bird, so it is hard. I cannot handle her like I wish to. I got her a friend and they get along great, her friend is hand raised but very protective, because my amputee girl does not want human affection, this was a better option.
Fresh fruit and veg daily as you would with all birds
I have a towel in there sometimes when I am supervise for a soft surface, she chews it otherwise, but you want those soft surfaces as they will always be relying on one foot now and that can cause bumblefoot.

Hopefully this helps a little!
I believe the request for help is for a canary not a 'too.

parrotkid

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Caitlin
I believe the request for help is for a canary not a 'too.
Yes it is. I am so stupid haha. In that case a lot of my advice can apply, as Canaries usually are not keen on human affection either. Granted I have gotten it to a point where I can put my hand in this girls cage without her freaking, and I do let her out with her companion as well.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome - your bird sounds like he/she has certainly risen to the challenge of living with a disability. There are many here who can advise you. If I had a good memory, I could tag them - alas, someone else will have to do that! :welcome2:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Yes it is. I am so stupid haha. In that case a lot of my advice can apply, as Canaries usually are not keen on human affection either. Granted I have gotten it to a point where I can put my hand in this girls cage without her freaking, and I do let her out with her companion as well.
We all make mistakes and it will never make you stupid. Some of the info you offered could be adapted to any bird. I'ts the thought that counts.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Yes, a little pinkness is normal. I noticed it on some pictures I have of Geralt and asked my vet, and was told it was just a sign that he was using it.

I basically modified a rabbit hutch for him and added platforms and thick branches. Rodent cages are great for birds like these, as you want her to get exercise without the chance of plummeting too far. Placing a soft blanket underneath her paper will also help mitigate any falling. I've noticed that he sometimes drags his tail through his poop and has issues with some dishes. The cheap, bright plastic ones with the flat perch helps him, as he can slip his leg between the perch and bowl without worrying about getting stuck.

As for the flighted comment; yes, you shouldn't clip her feathers. Being one legged throws off their center of balance. Clipping also does, so it compounds the issue.

This may sound like a weird suggestion, but get a slinky and drape it over the top of her cage through the bars. The two boys in my avatar have difficulties with their legs/feet and sleep in there.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you use a dremel?
I tried a dremel with my bird and it didn't really do what I thought it would, so I've been using a nail file to just take off the very point and keep the tips rounded. It keeps him from getting snared on any fabric or his toys.

Tkah165

Thanks for the tips everyone! I will see which work best with this cage/these birds :) And I will look into the possibility of a wellness check with our local avian vet.