• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First Baby Pic

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Here is a look at a potential new baby(with tweaked toes). As I am second in line, I will either get this baby ready at the beginning of December or the other baby which will be ready at the end of December. No names or anything yet as I am waiting til they are sexed

6571A266-E89B-4F90-BE59-D5A27086A61C.jpeg

Kodigirl210

@iamwhoiam - It appears to totally be an egg issue. Both of the outside toes (left & right foot) are growing opposite of the way they should. At first the breeder talked about cutting them off but I asked him not to and he quickly agreed. The pic doesn’t do justice to how big that baby is lol. I think he was a little squashed in his egg

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Aww cute baby!

Kodigirl210

Thank you! I am very excited. I have wanted an CAG for a long while now. My ex had one but he taught him to be a one person bird & Jake was very good at bait & bite. I could pick him up, carry him, put him away or take him out of his cage but never touch him other than as his chauffeur service lol :eek: :rofl: :facepalm:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
He is so cute. I assume your breeder is experienced and knows that the back toes face forward at first and then rotate into position as the chick ages. I would think it would have happened by now though. I do think it is interesting. He may also ask a vet. Babies are super flexible and perhaps if his toes where taped in the right position they would grow properly. Like I say you should consult a vet.

One of my babies had a constricted toe and they had to do a small surgery on here but she healed up well and did not lose the toy. The vet said that baby birds are like rubber bands. They are super flexible. It works with splayed legs maybe it would work with toes too.

Kodigirl210

@Laurie
That is a good ideal. I planned on having a vet look at his feet but I don’t think that I will be able to do anything until I am in possession of the baby as I am not even guaranteed this one. I’m hopeful as the timing would work better for me & I’m more than happy to take him as he is. The breeder has had several clutches and breeds lots of exotics, so I am very certain he has enough experience. He’s had the issue come up before. I just didn’t want to give possibly rehabilitating the toes without trying and if they’re gone no rehab possible :fairy2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bird should be checked out by a vet to see if toes can be taped or splinted so they are in a more normal position. Good that you intervened and asked the breeder to not cut off the toes. How old is he?

Kodigirl210

@iamwhoiam
He is currently 6wks old. The breeder allows the parents to keep the babies for about a month, so his best guess was that the chick was born around September 10th or 11th. And I couldn’t do anything less. It seems to me that the trauma would be unimaginable to do it now.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a sweet baby - so glad you told the breeder not to amputate toes! :omg:

Kodigirl210

:huh:@Fergus Mom
Haha yah, my hope is I get him as the other person may not want to deal with the toes.

Judging by the birthday-this will be an early weaning. Anyone have recommendations on formula? I have used the Lefeber in the past and not particularly thrilled with it.

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
@Laurie
That is a good ideal. I planned on having a vet look at his feet but I don’t think that I will be able to do anything until I am in possession of the baby as I am not even guaranteed this one. I’m hopeful as the timing would work better for me & I’m more than happy to take him as he is. The breeder has had several clutches and breeds lots of exotics, so I am very certain he has enough experience. He’s had the issue come up before. I just didn’t want to give possibly rehabilitating the toes without trying and if they’re gone no rehab possible :fairy2:
The breeder really needs to do this now. I know that foot, leg and toe positions are easiest to fix at a young age before the bird is finished growing. It is an easy fix but if the breeder hasn't done it before he needs to consult with a vet or maybe at least research it himself.

While I think a vet can be consulted as person with any kind of sense would also be able to wrap/splint the toes in a more normal position to see if it helps. By the time you get the bird it will be much more complicated if it is possible to fix them.

Since he has seen this problem before maybe he has consulted a vet and already knows there is no solution. For a guy who wants to cut toes off he either has very little or has considerable training.

It is not uncommon for breeders to do procedures and such after being coached by a vet at some point.

My mom and I did subcutaneous injections on dehydrated babies after the vet trained us and provided us with the equipment. I also tape and splint splayed legs on my own now that I have consulted with the vet and been instructed as to what to do.

I feel like if it is the outer toes that have failed to rotate back they could be adjusted by splinting at a young age. Please ask him more about this. A reasonable person would appreciate it.

If he is not reasonable then he probably is not a breeder that you want to support.

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

@Laurie
I plan on going this weekend to see him. I will assess his feet again then. If they can be splinted I will see if i can get the breeder to comply. It’s about the baby & nothing else. Thank you

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
G
Thank you! I am very excited. I have wanted an CAG for a long while now. My ex had one but he taught him to be a one person bird & Jake was very good at bait & bite. I could pick him up, carry him, put him away or take him out of his cage but never touch him other than as his chauffeur service lol :eek: :rofl: :facepalm:
Grey's can be fickle. They often change their opinion who belongs to THEM. LOL gotta luv em .

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Toe Malposition in Birds - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

From what I quickly googled bandaging the toe in the right position should fix it. It seem to be the only treatment at any age. The wrappings need to be checked daily to and changed as the chick grows.

In my opinion, if the breeder doesn't want to do it then I would not buy from him. Who knows what else he is not treating.

I hope he will work with you but more than that I hope he is taking care of all his babies properly.

I breed caiques and I can not understand why he is so willing to cut off toes without seeing a vet first. This is especially disturbing since he says he has seen it before. What did he do then? It is possible he saw a hack vet or one not experienced with birds and was given this information.

My little caique with the constricted toe went to the emergency vet and while they do see birds the only solution they offered was amputation to prevent further tissue damage. They did highly recommend that I see the avian vet in the morning in hopes of getting a better solution. I took my tiny featherless, 32 gram baby to the avian vet and she did a simple surgery and $200 later my little birdie was all wrapped up and healing. A week later she was looking great. 2 months later she has all her toes and they are fully functional and normal. I can not imagine not getting it fixed knowing she is going to have to live with those feet for her whole life.

Sorry if I seem adamant but at least from what I can find there is no reason this can't be fixed easily.

geff

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Geoff
Laurie . I assume as to why the breeder opted to cut off the toes, to preserve the profits, spending money at the veterinary surgery, costs money that he doesn't wish to remove from his wallet. I assume !

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Laurie . I assume as to why the breeder opted to cut off the toes, to preserve the profits, spending money at the veterinary surgery, costs money that he doesn't wish to remove from his wallet. I assume !
Well one would assume. An experienced breeder really should not need to see a vet for something like this.

On the positive side, perhaps it is an old timer who once was taught that this was the way to do it and has not updated his knowledge. He will hear it is an easy fix and proceed in the future to straighten birdie toes rather than cut them off.

It may be that he just doesn't know but is willing to learn.

I hope he is able to implement such simple steps in the future.

Breeding is a pay to play game and the money you spend should be to further your knowledge, the general knowledge of aviculture and most of all for the benefit of the birds.

Kodigirl210

:DEverything I’ve asked the breeder has been willing to do, so I think if it is an easy fix he would be more than willing to do it. I’ve have seen several of this other birds - they are happy, healthy and beautiful. He buys fresh fruit and veggies daily for all the birds and I have seen none that show any fear of him. I think I’m this case it may just be a lack of inspiration than lack of perspiration. Be assured I will give a full report once I have met up and checked on the baby this weekend. As i said prior - it’s about the baby and not what I get out of it or the breeder gets out of :laugh:it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Let the breeder read this post.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
:DEverything I’ve asked the breeder has been willing to do, so I think if it is an easy fix he would be more than willing to do it. I’ve have seen several of this other birds - they are happy, healthy and beautiful. He buys fresh fruit and veggies daily for all the birds and I have seen none that show any fear of him. I think I’m this case it may just be a lack of inspiration than lack of perspiration. Be assured I will give a full report once I have met up and checked on the baby this weekend. As i said prior - it’s about the baby and not what I get out of it or the breeder gets out of :laugh:it.
That is great!