• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

New Furnace

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
My landlord had a new (central air) gas furnace (Arcoaire brand) installed after the last one failed. It began running 10/12. My birds have been kept at my parents since then (10 days today). The horrible chemical smell seems gone. The vent air smells 'hot' if that makes sense. The house smells a bit earthy and musty, which I presume is just from not being lived in or having fresh air when people come and go. It has been aired out an hour or so here and there, and once for an entire day.

Would it be safe to return my birds? I have a small sun conure and an African grey. I hate to return them and end up killing them, but it seems like the only way to know it's safe is to return them and see how they fare. Has anyone been through this? Logically I want to think that's long enough to burn off any coating, but I'm afraid to lose my birds.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I haven't been through this myself, so I'm tagging a couple of folks that may know.

@Macawnutz @JLcribber (sorry for tagging you so much!)

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
We had the heat on about 75° for the first 3 days. When it still smelled on day 4, we left it on 80° with every window in the house opened from 2 pm until 9 am the next day. It was upper 30s that night so the heater ran for a solid 21 hours with no break. We then closed the windows and bumped it down to 76° and left it there until today, airing it out about an hour a day. Today I lowered it to 72° where I normally leave it. Should that have been sufficient enough to burn anything off? Call me paranoid but I am so worried about my sun conure especially as he's so small.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
We had the heat on about 75° for the first 3 days. When it still smelled on day 4, we left it on 80° with every window in the house opened from 2 pm until 9 am the next day. It was upper 30s that night so the heater ran for a solid 21 hours with no break. We then closed the windows and bumped it down to 76° and left it there until today, airing it out about an hour a day. Today I lowered it to 72° where I normally leave it. Should that have been sufficient enough to burn anything off? Call me paranoid but I am so worried about my sun conure especially as he's so small.
You're not paranoid, you are worried about your birds' safety and you get kudos for worrying because it means you care for them deeply. I believe you'll be safe.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
10 days is plenty long enough if things were done right.

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
@JLcribber My landlord hired a local plumbing and heating company to install so I want to think it was done right. All I have in home is a carbon monoxide detector and it reads safe. I do have an Austin Air purifier as well which will be ran. I don't know how else to detect any issue.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That means he would have pulled a permit. Which means it would have been inspected. You're good to go.

Kroh07

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Nicole
Thank you everyone. My dog and my African grey are at home now as of almost the last hour. My CAG seems fine so far. I'm going to monitor him throughout the evening and night. If he is fine tomorrow, my sun conure will be coming home too.

It's crazy how stressful these things are. It means a lot to have a community that gets it.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Thank you everyone. My dog and my African grey are at home now as of almost the last hour. My CAG seems fine so far. I'm going to monitor him throughout the evening and night. If he is fine tomorrow, my sun conure will be coming home too.

It's crazy how stressful these things are. It means a lot to have a community that gets it.
Especially when you live with people who don't get it, or don't care. :scared4:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
:hug8: You've been holding out on us! Your flock is CUTE!

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
No one outside of my household gets it All I've heard the entire time at my parents was how it would be fine to take them home. Only bird people understand.
a friend of mine had a new furnace installed after running for about 20 minutes she found her parolette dead on the cage floor she felt so bad but she didn't know

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
When our furnace had to be changed last winter, since they couldn't pre-burn it they directed the exhaust out through the garage. Just in case, we sealed all the vents leading towards the bird area as well as any doors/windows facing that way. We also had fans in the family/bird room exhausting out through the sliding doors and the kitchen door. Furnace was run at high for an hour+ to be safe.