• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hormonal caiques - it's heaven!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Man... I'm sure glad I came to this Caique party late! (Just now seeing these posts). I would have perished of suspense otherwise! GREAT job to the Caiques, (and the duck LOL) and great job to their parent! :heart:

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Man... I'm sure glad I came to this Caique party late! (Just now seeing these posts). I would have perished of suspense otherwise! GREAT job to the Caiques, (and the duck LOL) and great job to their parent! :heart:
OH Elly, You're only fashionably late! lol

The party is only starting. There's FIVE eggs. I'm pretty sure at least one more is fertile. But which one?

And is it another Duck?

Stay tuned. Next scheduled hatch is tonight!

LOL

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I wish I could get my cockatiels to stop laying eggs. And hatching them. Cookie Monster hatched four this year. Two with one male and two with another cock! A
But she hasnt yet had her way with a passing DUCK, right?

Shes a virgin compared to Cha Cha. lol

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well, there was no new hatch last night. Great news. Means chick #1 gets Mamas full attention for a few more days.

Next possible hatch date is Tuesday night

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ordered leg rings today. Still wondering if I will use them, but I have another 10 days before the fitting window closes
I have used them and not used them. My final decision is - use them. People might want to know something about their background in the future.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Sneaking past the cage on the way to the gym this morning at 5am, heard a couple of light peeps from the nestbox.

I suspect egg #3 has hatched on schedule. I'll try to get a look in the nest box later.

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
But questions remain. I'm looking at YOU, Fingers!

Why was egg #2 empty?. What were you doing on or about the evening of Sept 17 when you should have been fertilizing that egg?

Out on the town?. Drinking with buddies? Lol

Whaddya mean you don't keep a diary?

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
some of us will stay tuned for the next edition of "and the father is"....

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
A duck????:justducky: based on that duck beak …. I wonder if Donald Duck can account for his whereabouts?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I've mixed feelings about another baby. Junior#1 has a week's head start now. If he is joined by another much smaller baby, can that new baby compete for food or just be dwarfed and neglected?

So new baby at this stage increases likelihood of me pulling chick 1, at only a week old, for handfeeding. That's not the way I want to play this.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I had a similar situation but with my tiels mom didn't mind me putting my hand in the nest box. When the tiels switched for feeding, I'd remove the bigger baby and hold him to give the smaller one a chance to be fed, then I'd put him back in and he'd be fed. The little one is the sole chick now and is being fed and cared for religiously by mum & dad.

Once the older chick's eyes opened, a friend whom I call "the bird whisperer" took him. Emily's on disability and is hearing & speech impaired but she can communicate beautifully with birds - even with some of my bratty little gccs. She & her mom took in a pair of adult tiels which were surrendered to me and have taken tiel chicks whom they've hand raised; some Em sells and others she's kept. I've been lucky to find her because she's experienced, truly loves the birds in her care and is very particular about who buys the young tiels.

Sorry for the hijack. I hope all your fabies will be okay.

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Its great that your tiels will let you put your hand in the nest box

Unfortunately Cha Cha had put in a solid months work laying and hatching in 2016, only to have her nest invaded by her neighbours, while I was at work. The chicks died.

SHE was LIVID. She could spit fire across the room

So mad she didnt attempt to lay at all last year, as she had the same avairy neighbours

So Papa is staying well out of her way this time! lol