• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need help-Goffin Cockatoo

Brendamarie123

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brenda Lasch
I would just like to add from Brians post ( i am his wife) that it has been 16 days since i have been able to touch him. I have sat by the cage and sometimes he will move forward but he is quick to return to the corner of his cage. He will not accept treats from me. I have tried so many different approaches and nothing has changed. I am completely devestated. I am losing hope that he will turn around. I miss my buddy and companion so much. I feel completely helpless. How much longer can this go on? What more can i do?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Little setbacks like this can take a long time to repair. I know it seems like a lifetime, but in the grand scheme of things, it's just a drop in the bucket. Can you set up a seat a little ways from him and just read to him? Do things "with" him that aren't too close. I would praise any positive actions or vocalizations you get from him during this. Pretend like you're a brand new person being introduced to him all over again.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Goffins can be quite spastic. Mine also freaked over painted nails.
My suggestion is for her too act silly. Do not try and comfort, your bird will then know change is scary.
Have her dance, sing, jump about. Play and make it fun (does not work fast).
Put on a hat, then a scarf. Ask the birds opinion.
Do make up. Etc.....

Be patient. My goffin is the worse bird for changes to me. It does calm down.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would just like to add from Brians post ( i am his wife) that it has been 16 days since i have been able to touch him. I have sat by the cage and sometimes he will move forward but he is quick to return to the corner of his cage. He will not accept treats from me. I have tried so many different approaches and nothing has changed. I am completely devestated. I am losing hope that he will turn around. I miss my buddy and companion so much. I feel completely helpless. How much longer can this go on? What more can i do?
You've got have patience in order to have patience my dear. There are no shortcuts in this game. Everything has to be earned slowly.

There is no rush. You have all the time in the world to evolve this relationship. Go with the flow. Be confident happy and joyful around him but don't force yourself on him. He'll come around.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ditto on John's post.

Brian's birds

Moving in
Real Name
Brian
Happy Update- wife removed her nails last Saturday and even with being scarred yesterday she opened the cage and Levon came out to her right away. Pretty much back to normal. Thank you everyone for all your help during this trying time. Very Happy House.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Happy Update- wife removed her nails last Saturday and even with being scarred yesterday she opened the cage and Levon came out to her right away. Pretty much back to normal. Thank you everyone for all your help during this trying time. Very Happy House.
That's great!!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yay, great update!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I was going to say that when I do something odd like put a hood or hat on or something strange in my hair I just carry on like it is nothing different. Burt usually looks at me a little odd and only if I try to tell him it is ok that I look different does he start to stress, if I ignore him and carry on what I am doing (talking to him the whole time) he will pretty quickly decide to ignore the thing that looks different and just carry on as normal.
It is the same when my daughter dyes her hair (crazy vibrant colors) or paints her nails, the bird reacts and if we try to tell him it is fine he gets worried but if we ignore it and carry on (from a safe distance) then within a minute or two he has decided on his own he will not bother with causing a fuss and soon he will be on her checking out the new changes.

It almost seems like if we try to help him through it we are actually really telling him that he is right to be afraid and it seems to be us trying to make things better that makes it all a problem because we are behaving odd to him. I do not know if I am right with this thinking but this is how it comes across.