• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Another Sherman update!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I turned the conure room into a birdroom. Well, not me... I hired someone. After about a week, I moved Sherman, WCP, in.

The conures and budgies get along famously. Sherman isn't thrilled with the idea of littlish (One is the same size and one is actually bigger.) birds. I put plexiglass on her cage to protect their toes.

Okay, this is the fun part. The budgies love to hold on to a specific perch and flap like crazy. Sherman tries to copy them. She holds the cage bars with her good foot and flaps BOTH her wings! She can't get anywhere, but the idea of her trying and exercising BOTH thrills me!

And now for my usual:

I love Sherman!!!
:heart::fairy2::heart:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Good job Sherman! :starshower1: That was great thinking on the plexiglass! Did you just have the store cut a piece the size of the cage?

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Yes, sorta. I knew someone who knew someone who knew someone. Haha I just wanted to tell SOMEONE what actually happens around here. Haha But if you're in a bigger place, it'd be easiest! Most hardware stores do.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And you can cut it yourself too, so did I. :)

The budgies love to hold on to a specific perch and flap like crazy. Sherman tries to copy them. She holds the cage bars with her good foot and flaps BOTH her wings!
That is really great! ♥
Great exercise and also that she copy the other birds is telling that she has some interest in them.
I love Sherman!!!
:heart::fairy2::heart:
Are you sure? I don't know if I should believe you.. :p
That was great thinking on the plexiglass!
And I agree. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sherman is flourishing in your care but then so are your other birds. Thanks for taking them into your home.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd used to hang onto his cage and flap like crazy. I would make a big deal out of it and say FLAP MY PRETTY... and he'd get excited and flap even harder... He'd go till he was panting and be so proud of himself. Sometimes he'd forget and let go and up he'd go and look like how the h--l did this happen... He never flew very well.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
When Tommy, budgie, was in quarantine, he flapped, let go and hit the top of his cage. I started laughing. That was the only time in quarantine that I KNOW of. He flies best of all.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Actually, Milton is a flapper...his flapping happens when he's hanging upside down...and screeching like a banshee.

I believe it's his "LOOK AT ME, DAD...LOOK AT ME" thing...that, or he's just a crazy 'too...you decide...;)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aw, Sherman! I'm so pleased to hear your updates!

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
You know I never thought Kody would be a great flier. Pretty sure they had his wings clipped for his first 9 years. We let them grow in and he would eventually fly just back to his cage and perch and be all out of breath. But lo and behold, after about a year, he is suddenly flying really well!! Watching him land is so cool...he sticks out his feet like a hawk! He flies around corners and into different rooms now and will land on our backs or even on my hand...if he decides he likes me that day! These guys seem to just move at a really slow pace when it comes to doing new things so you just never know what they might start doing. Literally it was like all of a sudden one day he decided he was ok with flying.

Do watch the little guys though. I think Kody would kill my p'lets if he caught one in or on his cage. He doesn't like anyone touching his things and honks at them if they get too close. Luckily, they respect his warnings and stay out of his areas.