• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Potty Training Fear/Question

Miss Annamarie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I'd like to potty train my Merlin but I do not know how to do it without doing it to the point where he won't go unless he's in a designated spot so that he doesn't hold it in and get sick. Does he just need several places he can go so he understands he doesn't need just one spot or what?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I treat my bird and make a happy fuss (praise) when he poops where I find it easiest to clean up. Over time he picked up that if he uses the four designated spots (I picked areas where he naturally prefers to hang out) he gets either praise or a treat but he still drops them from time to time where it is a little more difficult to clean up (carpet) and I never say a word about it, I pretty much ignore that it happened. He is not concerned where he poops in any/every other room/area but over the carpet in the particular room we hang out in the most he has learnt that it is more desirable to poop where he will likely receive a treat or praise.
I would certainly have more than one place for your bird to poop as the last thing you want is a bird that has health or emotional issues due to not being able to poop when needed. Maybe watch your bird and see where it tends to drop the most of the poop most of the times and pick those areas so it is fairly easy. They say with cats you should have at least double the litter boxes to have the most success and ease for the cat. Birds tend to poop much more than cats so I would have many areas for your bird, the more acceptable areas the more success you will have keeping the poop contained to smaller areas.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You need to adapt the environment so that when he goes it's not a big deal.

You know where he likes to hangout and there's usual spots they take a lot of dumps. Paper those areas and carry a kleenex as Feather suggested.

Potty training is dangerous.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I just time it, and set the bird on a perch above a trash bin when I feel they're about to poop. It's like Spidey Sense, but with poop.

I wish Rupert wasn't potty trained (he came to me that way). He holds it all night and won't poop till I get up to let him out. :/

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I cover my carpeted floor in towels and sheets of cardboard in the places that Burt likes to sit and play (and poop). There is poop all over the place from time to time but mostly in the four spots Burt naturally chose as his favorite hang out areas and dumping grounds. Most times I can see he is getting ready to poop and I can move him if need be or even better and easier....place a towel under him. I now have to work out how to protect the wall and carpet just under my window sill, the last week Burt has decided he likes pooping there too.......the worst bit is sometimes the poop has ended up in the power point too which worries me a little.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Best thing we did was to potty train!!

Every bird is different and will take potty training slightly differently. I wouldn't stress to much about your bird holding on too long and making themselves sick. I discussed this with my AV and he said most will just go...he only met one macaw that didn't and just held it until told (it was hours apparently, but he also said he had very strict handling etc)

Birds in general will make themselves go prior to flight, landing or if frightened so they can take off quicker with a predator. They usually dont go unless their is a change in activity especially in the larger parrots. So resting to active, eating to resting, waking up, being put on ground etc

My boy was trained after a week of being home at only 4 months of age. We created several places for him to go. Cage, stand, over shower, on newspaper or into a tissue. My boy was trained on praise only and not food rewards. This is just how I train all my animals. They do things because I ask not because they're driven for food. They do things because they want to make me happy. Its never a serious time for any of us. I treat them like I would a kid. Occasionally he still lets one go if stressed, scared or too much time has passed and he is uncomfortable. If we are playing together I have to remind him to go otherwise he will hold it till he cant hold any longer. He has learnt to say poopsie as hes doing one and will tug on my ear if in the car or going for walk to let me know he needs to hop off. When really desperate he tries to aim his poo of me. He did go through a stage of pooping on my husband which was on purpose. He would fly to him, poop and fly off. Lol again it was the relationship they had at time. It has improved now so hubby no longer gets pooped on. In saying that hes never pooped on the dog or in the bed. But he loves the dog and hes favorite place is my bed.

These guys are very smart. The relationship you have with them frames how the training will go, as do their personalities. My boy echo is cheeky, sometimes lazy and definitely likes to try get away with stuff if he can...but in saying that he is on his best behavior when out, away on holidays or visiting friends. If hes already gone and I ask him to go he kinda growls in displeasure at me.

To train I would suggest key word and action. Observe and time of his natural cycle. I found it was 20min during day and 40min when getting dark and then if asleep only if woken or moved. Knowing this I used it to my advantage and the times he was out at the beginning I offered a toilet break at 20min intervals. I also use the words and actions for turn around so he knows where I'd like him to aim for. This works really well out in community as we position his chair over something to poop on. We have taken training a little further now. Sometimes it's been longer that 40min and I know if I pick him up he'll go straightaway. I will tell him 'take you to toilet' so he knows to just hold a bit longer. If super desperate as soon as his rear end is over tiles he might let it go otherwise waits till on perch etc. But 'take you to toilet' also means you better be picking him up again otherwise he literally throws himself back at you lol

Another thing that I've done is if hes let one go somewhere and I'm not happy about it I say 'what's this...NO!' As I point to it looking unhappy. Sounds strict but Echo's personality is that he just runs off making fun of me repeating 'what's this' and laughing. His next poop however is were it needs to be so he gets rewarded with extra praise and kisses.

For us, having him toilet trained is the best. I just let him out and he does his thing all day long. Community access is enjoyable and i can even get him to poop on demand for the vet.

Only other important advice I'd give is work on a healthy relationship and the toilet training will be a breeze without any health impacts on the bird.

Good luck!! Please keep us posted.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
@Aggie One more question btw, a dumb one, didn't think it was worth making a whole new thread over but; half of the things I've seen while researching say Eclectus Parrots live 20-30 years while the other say 50-75+ which one is correct? All of them are reputable so extremely confused. It's a very large displacement. Sorry to bother you again <3

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@Miss Annamarie Not a bother at all!

I dont actually know tbh and have wondered myself. I personally think they can live 50+ years but due to their complex dietary requirements it's closer to 30+ if in a household.

I do yearly blood tests on my boy to work out how hes kidney and liver are going. I try feed a balanced diet mainly of fruit/veg. Despite all my efforts to keep him as healthy as possible we have had several episodes of toe tapping which is just not seen in wild. So I dont think my boy will last to 50+ but I'm hopeful. Everyday we are closer and he surprises me with how clever he is.

On a toxicology test i had done the AV informed me that he couldn't fine one tiniest trace of any metal in his system where every other parrot hes tested has come back with a very low level. He was surprised as he explained that the types of toys that are given are always the culprit. They chew the metal even if it doesn't break, some residue is ingested if you know what I mean. Like you can't even see it, it's so microscopic but it still shows as a trace on his test. So I'm pleased I'm doing a good job keeping toxins chemicals etc away

My aim is to have echo trained up so he can go to a nursing home with me one day if needed. Hopefully it's a good 40+ years away so trying to look after the little bugger as best as I can. That's why we work really hard on behavior, potty training, harness and recall. I've kept food logs for several months to work out eating habits and right amounts of everything and how to avoid toe tapping. They would have to be the hardest bird to keep but definitely most rewarding

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
Your bird won't hold it in and get sick. If they really have to go, they will. My bird is trained to go on command when he has to. Meaning he won't go if there isn't anything to poop out in him, but if there is and I cue him to poop, he will. This is so I can take him in the car without much worry. Once I forgot to cue him before we got in and he pooped in the car. He never poops in the car but he had to go so he went. My conures don't like to poop in their cage at night for some reason. They hold it in all night and I watch them poop this huge poop in the morning that makes me wonder where all that fit inside them. They don't get sick from it either. I would just work on training him and for the most part, he will go where he is suppose to unless he gets held up somewhere else and he will probably just poop there like say if he can't fly and your holding him.

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
For the Caiques, I hold them over a trash can every 10 min, and they're happy to go. If I get careless and lose track of time, they go wherever. I'll be doing the same with Milo. I haven't had any problem with it, and they don't seem to care either way.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Often when Gigi is in her cage and she poops, I say "Did you poop?" "Hey poopdadoop!" or something like that, lol, just to converse with her. When Gigi is out, I hold her over a paper towel every 5-10 minutes and say "Do you want to poop?" and she often does. But she also poops other times. It just cuts down on the cleaning.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As far as the holding it in all night thing, I think that varies with species. I was told that Linnies hold their poop all night and then have a big loose poop in the morning. That's true for Gigi. It's crazy big for her diminutive size. :)