• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Blind Baby Cockatoo

jackiehf

Moving in
Hello all, I am looking for some advice on my new baby. I used to work at a store that gets young birds from a breeder they consistently use and then they hand raise and socialize the baby. Well my cockatoo passed away unexpectedly several months ago and I decided that I was ready to get another one. Well the breeder had a baby cockatoo that was born with 1 eye and I decided that was the 1 for me. However, this week when the bird arrived at the store we found out that the bird is blind in its only eye. So I'm looking for any advice from anyone that has owned a blind bird on how you accommodated them? Also I'm working with my old bosses to try and see how we can get him to start trying pellets and veggies. If you hold a pellet near his face he'll start chewing on it. We know that it will be a learning experience but I'm working with my old bosses to try and figure out how to accommodate him. Now he's only a month old so his balance isn't great and he can't perch yet so he gets nervous to lean over and feel around for things near his feet. If anyone has any advice on how to get him to start trying pellets and veggies I'm all ears. We currently put water, pellets and veggie bowls next to him on the bottom of the cage since that's where he stands until he can perch. Thank you so much!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for deciding to take this special cockatoo into your home. I have no experience with a blind bird but I do know that one of the most important things is consistency. Once the bird becomes accustomed to where items in the cage are located it's not a good idea to move those around. You also want to be careful with how you approach the bird so you don't startle him/her. Call out his/her name or make soft tapping sounds so he/she can locate you and/or know you are approaching. Hopefully someone who has experience with a blind bird will stop by and post.

jackiehf

Moving in
Thank you for the response. Luckily he hasn't been spooking easily. He just sits and listens. When other birds fly right by him or when people go to pet him he doesn't startle. His calm demeanor so far I'm hoping will be helpful so that he doesn't get freaked out easily! I have the cage but I'm not setting anything up until he's older and home with me and I figure out what he can and can't do and won't move perches or food dishes to new spots once he's home. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get him to search for food along with the help of my bosses that see him daily. I'm hoping once he gets more stable and walks around more he'll start finding the dishes on his own. But it's kind of a waiting game right now until he gets more confident. He's still of 3 feedings of formula of course but he was definitely interested in the pellets.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Did you moisten the pellets so that they are soft? Use a bit of warm water and moisten them and see how he does with that.

jackiehf

Moving in
Not yet we were going to do that this week. He doesn't have an issue chewing the pellets, he's just not finding or looking for the food dishes in his cage. He doesn't really move yet so he hasn't been exploring to find the pellets or veggies.