• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A bunch of questions about flying and exercise alternatives if they don't

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This is a way I try to introduce some fitness in the TOOs as well as making it harder to get around without having to climb up and down.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Echo flew today!! Sadly because he was spooked but he went at least 15 feet!! This is the first time I've actually seen him fly. Last time I had my back turned so I missed it. It was so exciting to actually see him fly!! I was to "throw" him on to the couch about four times too and I thinking he's starting to figure out this flying thing. It's still baby steps but I'm excited about it :cantwait:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is amazing!:dance4: Come on Echo, you know what those wings are for somewhere deep down!:angel1:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How cool for you both, I am so happy for you. :laughing12::dance4: I am a little sorry he only flew because he got spooked but hopefully he will realize he can do it and try it again soon.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
The caiques are not great fliers, yet they fly constantly. Endlessly curious they are constantly moving from one spot to another. Flying is faster so they do fly.

Even Cha Cha flies back and forth a few feet when she has a few minutes break from hatching chicks.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
I can't wait till my bird flies. T_T She was flapping a bunch Yesterday but didn't get anywhere even though her flight feathers are growing back. She CAN fly if she's spooked because of adrenaline but I want her to fly whenever she wants even when not scared out of her wits...

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
A great way to help him gain the confidence he needs to fly, is recall training. You have to teach him that he can do it (as he seems to have never properly mastered that skill) and make the process as rewarding as possible.

You can try starting with something he's comfortable with, like stepping up on your hand in order to get a treat, then you move your hand back a little so he has to hop on to it and so on... he will eventually have to fly if he wants the treats.

If that doesn't work, you could target train him if he isn't already trained, then place two stands one next to the other and target him from one stand to another. Once he's good at that, just fo the same thing while moving them further and further apart until he's flying.

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
And yes, once they master flight, they really have a blast! it's such a huge part of them! I feel they're not really themselves without it. Mine all go crazy in the mornings when they come in the house, they fly loops around and around. Apache and Falcon often use it to go from one place to another but Chiloé loves flying for the fun of it and seems to have fun using her skills! Falcon was not a confident flyer from the start. He crashed a lot at first and was discouraged because of his problems with landings for months but we got there thanks to recall training! it transformed the shy bird he used to be, giving him the self-confidence he was missing.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
My pionus is the main one that flies. He flies to get places....to scare mostly my mom, and to fly to fly. He does all sorts of moves in the air and can go really fast.
My Goffin only flies when she needs something or is scared. She was always clipped before I got her so I think she's scared to be honest. She is not confident and more or less sounds like a hover plane.
My African Grey can fly but again isn't used to it. I've had him just over a year, his feathers have come in but sometimes I don't think he realizes it... Right now he just flies when he is scared and still walks around on the floor to get to places.