• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sad news (Eminem)

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
She can't take him. That is theft, plain and simple. She relinquished him to you and she is no longer his owner, nor does she have ANY rights to him.

Is it possible to put him in a room that can be locked? Your bedroom? Somewhere she can't get him?

I'm furious and disgusted that she would even consider just up and stealing him without even having the decency to speak to you.

Your mother thinks she's trustworthy, but this clearly proves that she isn't.
No i cant lock him in any room... there arent keys of the rooms.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
Your mother thinks she's trustworthy, but this clearly proves that she isn't.
I understand the trust/theft problem. Can you put him in a travel cage and remove him? Most anywhere would work.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry Maria.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You should at least let your mother know what she's threatening to do, to steal your property. (I hate to call them property, but it it helps to go that route, it's worth a shot.) Let her know how sneaky and untrustworthy she can be. I would use whichever keywords will get though to your mom.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My mom wouldnt agree in burning that bridge... :( she is the only person that we can trust that wont take money or steal 4anything...(food or stuff in our house)
No...but she will steal your bird...WTF??

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Buy a locking keyed door knob and lock him in the room when your not home, bird theft solved. All the bedroom doors here have bathroom style knobs with inside locks. I think they got a good deal on a bunch of them when they rehabbed the house to sell it. It would be easy and cheap enough to get a actual keyed locking knob and they are easy to install. I replaced the lock sets a few times in my old rental and put a new matching knob and deadbolt on my new house. Hardware stores sell cheap specilized tools to make all the holes and all that so even if you have a door not set up for anything you can do it yourself. But a simple knob change shouldn't require much more then a Phillips screw driver.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am so sorry this is happening. Maybe she will think it over and change her mind or something so he can stay with you.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I am so sorry this is happening. Maybe she will think it over and change her mind or something so he can stay with you.
Thing is she changed her mind once she knew i will move out of the country in the next year or so.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm so sorry. I hope you can convince her it's not in the bird's best interest.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Buy a locking keyed door knob and lock him in the room when your not home, bird theft solved. All the bedroom doors here have bathroom style knobs with inside locks. I think they got a good deal on a bunch of them when they rehabbed the house to sell it. It would be easy and cheap enough to get a actual keyed locking knob and they are easy to install. I replaced the lock sets a few times in my old rental and put a new matching knob and deadbolt on my new house. Hardware stores sell cheap specilized tools to make all the holes and all that so even if you have a door not set up for anything you can do it yourself. But a simple knob change shouldn't require much more then a Phillips screw driver.
Hire a locksmith! That's why we do it! I'm a retired locksmith myself. Call one! :)

Revali

Walking the driveway
Well his exowner expressed today that she regrets giving him to me and that she will take him back on tuesday. :( that she hates the new name and that she doesnt care if he doesnt like the name of Sammy that she like it better than Eminem. :( also it would be impossible to get him out of the country in case that i leave my country in the future.. :/ i thought that maybe getting the CITES permit was possible but it only would be if he was legally obtained (like through a breeder or a shelter where you get a proof you paid) since this is not his case i will not be able to get him out of here because they will take him away from me at the airport and put him either down or set him free. :(
Are you saying the only way a bird can leave the USA is with papers from a breeder or shelter?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Are you saying the only way a bird can leave the USA is with papers from a breeder or shelter?
It probably affects the U.S. too since restrictions are in place/being put in place to prevent certain species from being sold/transported from one state to another. And yes, Maria is in Venezuela which is topsy-turvy as it is. Dad worked for Singer back in the 60's; friends of his were transferred to Venezuela and back then they'd mentioned it was a dangerous country for foreigners (he was Australian and she was French).

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Feel bad for her hope she can work it out. My bird will have to leave the country at some point I hope I don't need official papers of sale.
This is the link to CITES - CITES - if you look under the "Discover CITES" tab there is a "CITES listed species". If your bird is the cockatiel in your avatar I don't think the restrictions will be as severe but you will need paperwork both to leave the U.S. (the airline might not let your bird on board) and definitely to enter the country you are going to. One of our member had to return to Iran; I believe he took his two tiels with him but he had to get special papers to do so. I'd suggest that you research it now so you don't have any nasty surprises.

I also found this -https://Species+

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am so sorry...but can you tell her you've decided not to move so she will still be able to see him? Also, can you talk to a rescue about placement and re-adoption? Even a day or whatnot? Then you have what you need paperwork wise?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I don't know that there are that many rescues in Venezuela, unfortunately, but I'd lie and tell her I wasn't moving.

That I'd just started university (which is true) and it would be years before I'd be able to move if ever. The latter is also true, don't tell her how many years.

Last edited:

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Can you maybe pay a friend to birdsit at their place for a day or two?