• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Head feathers

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Need some tips.

So Lada is one of those weird eckies that scratches and loses her feathers on top of head all the time. Dont worry about that in this picture, vet says shes fine and its a rare thing with them. That's not the question, but it is related. She is growing them back in as you can see. She is not crazy about me helping her with her pin feathers on head. Any tips on what I can do to help her with these pins? Its just us. No boyfriend to help her with top of head.
IMG_20181018_230645.jpg

and she just fell asleep on top of my desk. Too cute not to post pic.
IMG_20181018_232317.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Moisture is very helpful. Does she bathe regularly?

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I miss my female eclectus. They are beautiful birds. I would say a bath as well. Have you tried very, very slightly pinching the ends of the pin feathers to release it? I mean very slightly, lol

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Just shower her daily. It really softens the pins so when they scratch they break apart quicker. My boy loves a good soak...to the point he sleeps in shower.

Your other option is to attack her while shes winding down for night. Not sure if other eckies are like this but my boy will let you do anything to him after dark if it means staying with me and not going to bed. He allows head scratches when normally during day has a dont touch me attitude.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Have you tried very, very slightly pinching the ends of the pin feathers to release it?
Its not her not liking me touching her pin feathers. She just doesnt like anyone around/above her head. Its not bad in that im in danger of being bit, she just makes it difficult and constantly pulls away so I don't force it. So bottom line, even getting to the pin feathers is a challenge.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
She is a very lucky bird!
Good luck with the pin feathers.