• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi there!

4mybirds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Hello everyone :hug8:

New to the forum and wanted to stop by and introduce myself and my flock.

I have a 6 year old OWA rescue named Shasta who has a pretty sad story of 12 homes in her 6 years, I'm home number 13 and her forever home. She has a deformed beak and been with me for about 6-7 months. It's been a long road of diet adjustments and many vet visits to get her to a healthy weight and and good vitamin/mineral levels. She lived off of only sunflower seeds so I've been weaning her off of them and is now on Harrison pellets and we are always trying new Veggies and fruits.

I have an African Grey who is 21 years young named Lulu. She is my moms but, my mom is now in hospice so can no longer take care of her so I have inherited her. Lulu had only ever been with my mom and I am her second home. I try my best to keep her busy because I can tell she really misses my mom, my mom misses her tremendously but wanted to rehome her before she passed so she knew Lulu was ok.

I also have 2 budgies Heckle and Jeckle who came from my sister who's husband was just going to let them go because well...hes just a (insert any name you'd like here:cautious:)

I also have reptile resuces and 2 dogs lol

I've added pics of Shasta and Lulu but my lil budgie guys are terrified of the phone camera but I'll try my best to get pics of them during their outside time today

Thanks for reading :heart:
20181016_165925.jpg 20181020_105236.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Thank you for rescuing Shasta. So many homes, so sad. Good that she is now in her forever home.
Both Shasta and Lulu are pretty.

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
:welcomesign: to you and your flock! Your girls are gorgeous. :heart:

Thank you for taking in Shasta, Heckle, Jeckle and Lulu. Your poor 'zon has been through too much for such a young'un!

4mybirds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Welcome to AA. Thank you for rescuing Shasta. So many homes, so sad. Good that she is now in her forever home.
Both Shasta and Lulu are pretty.
Thank you iamwhoiam! My little Shasta girl is a riot and I cant believe people would be so willing to give her up:no:

Thank you for the compliment on my ladies!
:welcomesign: to you and your flock! Your girls are gorgeous. :heart:

Thank you for taking in Shasta, Heckle, Jeckle and Lulu. Your poor 'zon has been through too much for such a young'un!

Shasta has been through alot but she is such a loving and forgiving little lady.

I'm happy I could provide my flock with a proper home and the love they deserve.

Thank you for responding :bighug:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:welcome2:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Welcome. Can the grey visit with your Mom? As a former hospice nurse I know these type of things can be arranged.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to you, Shasta, Lulu, and Heckle and Jeckle! :)

Your ladies are beautiful, for sure...and kudos to you for getting Shasta going down the right road, diet-wise...:D

4mybirds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Welcome, and enjoy the site!
Thank you! I've been reading everything all day lol. Incredible site with alot of warm, welcoming, and knowledgeable members

Thank you Wendy!:sunflower:

Welcome. Can the grey visit with your Mom? As a former hospice nurse I know these type of things can be arranged.
Hi Lady Jane,

I take Lulu over to see my mom every week, actually tomorrow is what I consider their visiting day.

My mom actually loves seeing her but I think saying goodbye all over makes it hard for both of them. With the limited time left though I wouldn't take that time away from either of them even if Lulu does get mad and bites me for taking her home;). They've been friends for 21 years theres no replacing that.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your wonderful to do that for your Mom and Lulu. I have often wondered if parrots can sense a human is terminally ill. I know cats and dogs can do this.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Image00010~2.jpg
Thankyou for being Shasta soft place to land and for taking in Lulu too. I'm so sorry to hear your mom is in hospice but she must be so relieved that Lulu is in such a loving home :heart:

4mybirds

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Your wonderful to do that for your Mom and Lulu. I have often wondered if parrots can sense a human is terminally ill. I know cats and dogs can do this.
To be honest I think Lulu knows and probably understands more of what's happening then some of the humans around. She is ever so gentle with my Mom, we lay a bed pad down and she just snuggles and coos my mom it's an amazing thing to see. She is definitely a special lady and holds a piece of my Moms heart.
When the time comes to say goodbye to my Mom you can bet I will have Lulu right there. When it's all said and done we will mourn together.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
My little Shasta girl is a riot and I cant believe people would be so willing to give her up:no:
That is awful! Shasta is such a trouper. :hug8: Bless you for taking in so many souls in need of love.