• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY Rope-Free Bendable Perch Ideas?

Tser

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I'm building my parrot a new cage-top training area in which she would only be supervised. I may end up using a bendable rope perch covered in Vet Wrap, or the rope perch in combination with wooden ladders. However, I was wondering if there was a way to make safer bendable perches, that don't use any rope.

I saw this tutorial for creating a spherical ("atom") swing, using PVC electrical conduit and PVC connectors. Does anyone know if the PVC electrical conduit is bird safe like PVC pipe? I've seen a lot of people using it but I haven't heard anyone testing it or anything.

There is also flexible food safe (potable water safe) pvc pipe (hose). I know this is non-toxic, since it carries the water we drink. I expect only the smaller piping would work as it would need a very strong wire to hold its shape.

Either way my idea would be to run a strong SS wire through the pipe, and use PVC end caps which fit both these kinds of piping, with SS hardware to connect it to the cage. Then I would wrap the whole perching surface in vet wrap for grip.

I do expect it's not likely to hold up to a parrot that heavily chews their perches, but I intend this to be in training and play areas, with supervised use. I don't know if it would be safe enough to use inside the cage, at least for large parrots.

Does this sound like a safe idea? Or is this something that would be dangerous to attempt?

I would also really love to be able to create a safe boing; they're my parrot's favorite and she hasn't had one since I stopped letting her play on rope.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
It may be more expensive/frustrating to make them yourself.

I found these for larger birds:
Oddballs
Boings

Tser

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
@Peachfaced I am specifically looking for something safer than rope. :/ Unfortunately every boing and flexible perch I've found is made of rope.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not know if it is safer than rope or not but some people use pill free fleece to cover/pad perches and cage bottoms for parrots who have an injury or are disabled. Check out @Brittany0208 for some great creations she has made for her bird Java who has a missing leg and a few issues with the remaining leg he has. She uses a fair bit of fleece in various ways to make life easier and more comfortable for Java.
Maybe fleece would be an option?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Peachfaced I am specifically looking for something safer than rope. :/ Unfortunately every boing and flexible perch I've found is made of rope.
As far as I know, all bendable perches are made from cotton or sisal. Other than some kind of plastic, I have no idea what else it could be made of while still bendable.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
What you're describing reminds me of the old Happy Perches that are no longer being made. I wonder if you could jury-rig something using a bird-safe pvc tube covering a flexible sisal/rope perch. That way you're still getting the flexibility of the rope/sisal, but without the risk of fibers?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
As far as I know, all bendable perches are made from cotton or sisal. Other than some kind of plastic, I have no idea what else it could be made of while still bendable.
The sisal ones are becoming scarce, for whatever reason. I tried looking for some and all of them were out of stock or no longer supplied at those stores.

Tser

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
As I mentioned, a lot of people have been making bird perches out of the flexible electrical conduit PVC, I see them in DIY vids and sites all the time. Does anyone know why this would be an issue? I have no trouble making one myself out of flexible PVC hose or the electrical conduit, if so. I have a lot of PVC diy experience. The only difference between the ones people have made and what I would be making would be a wire core, which would be pretty easy.

Hmmm, putting the tubing over the rope is a good idea, @painesgrey ! I would have to find out which ones are big enough, and also find a way to keep it from shifting, if so. I'm not sure if it'd be easier or harder than making it from scratch! I'll have to check while I'm at the hardware store. Someone in another thread suggested covering it with vet wrap, and I do feel that would help, especially with a lot of layers, but the tube would be even safer if I could manage it.

Thanks for the links to the sisal ones, @expressmailtome but I believe those are the non-bendable types, except the Bird Cages for Less one, which is "sold out" and has been for a very long time. I think they are just rope without a wire core. I'm not sure what happened to all the shapeable sisal ones!

Tser

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
@Shezbug Oops missed your reply. Although fleece seems safe for some birds, some birds do eat it and end up with impactions. Since this would be outside of the cage and supervised only, I do think fleece is a possibility. I would not use it in my parrot's cage as she does chew it (though she hasn't eaten any, I don't think!).

After I found out how dangerous rope could be, I got ChuChu a fleece-covered "safer" boing. It was made by Chopper's Toys, one of the first truly bird-safety oriented toy stores, and sadly, the owner of Chopper's passed away, and I don't know of anyone who took up the torch of making such a boing.

Strangely I can't find a picture anywhere on the net of Chopper's basic fleece boings! I did find this photo of the "peekaboo" style with hanging bits. ChuChu just had the regular one.

22d54537cfbc44b528c9f904ebe7e8cf.jpg

That was the last boing my parrot had, which is sad because she loves them. She chewed the fleece off pretty quickly and, thinking it'd be easy to just buy a new one, I tossed it. Now I wish I had kept the base and just re-upholstered it in fleece or wrapped it in vet wrap. :( I can't remember what the inner core was either. Did anyone have this boing like me? They were definitely popular!

I was thinking I'd still need a core if I were to do a fleece boing anyway, since fleece is thin, so I could just use it as a "safer" cover for a rope perch or whatever, and vet wrap would be easier and cheaper in that case. But then I realized I could probably make a thick braid around the SS wire, or basic cobra knots. So yeah, fleece is an option, as long as I'm supervising ChuChu... and I can figure out how to do "end caps" on it.

I might actually make several flexible perches and boings, in different ways, to see what works best. There seem to be pros and cons to each.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks for the links to the sisal ones, @expressmailtome but I believe those are the non-bendable types, except the Bird Cages for Less one, which is "sold out" and has been for a very long time. I think they are just rope without a wire core. I'm not sure what happened to all the shapeable sisal ones!
I am sorry about that.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I bought some of this to hang out in the aviary and make boings in the bird room. Pro-manila Rope | 3/4 - 1 1/2 Inch Sizes.
to make the base for each end...
bendable rope.jpg
You'll need the extra pvc on the end as a leg for the wire base so it doesn't flip flop. Don't forget the hot glue. Fill the pvc cap after you've inserted the hardware, then insert your cap, add more glue and stuff your wire/rope inside. Larger washers too.

PS. You'll have to fiddle around with the size pvc and size rope...rope is always smaller than the interior diameter of pvc. So if you buy 3/4 rope and 3/4 pvc, it doesn't necessarily mean it will fit snuggly. Different pvc types have different interior diameters too.

Last edited:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
As I mentioned, a lot of people have been making bird perches out of the flexible electrical conduit PVC, I see them in DIY vids and sites all the time. Does anyone know why this would be an issue? I have no trouble making one myself out of flexible PVC hose or the electrical conduit, if so. I have a lot of PVC diy experience. The only difference between the ones people have made and what I would be making would be a wire core, which would be pretty easy.

Hmmm, putting the tubing over the rope is a good idea, @painesgrey ! I would have to find out which ones are big enough, and also find a way to keep it from shifting, if so. I'm not sure if it'd be easier or harder than making it from scratch! I'll have to check while I'm at the hardware store. Someone in another thread suggested covering it with vet wrap, and I do feel that would help, especially with a lot of layers, but the tube would be even safer if I could manage it.

My understanding is that regular PVC piping contains lead so you're supposed to use furniture grade specifically. I am positive that you could find the material components from the manufacturer, I work in imports and have to look this sort of thing up all the time, and lots of manufacturers are responsive to inquiries.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
My understanding is that regular PVC piping contains lead so you're supposed to use furniture grade specifically. I am positive that you could find the material components from the manufacturer, I work in imports and have to look this sort of thing up all the time, and lots of manufacturers are responsive to inquiries.
You might want to look into PEX tubing. I read somewhere its on the green list but you may have to add stainless wire for more stability.

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
You might want to look into PEX tubing. I read somewhere its on the green list but you may have to add stainless wire for more stability.[/QUOTE

That's a really good idea, I didn't know about that product. It's just polyethylene so should be fine. The fittings, however are brass, but I'm sure the pvc ones would work.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh yes that is what I was thinking...def do not use brass