• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long to leave fresh food in the cage?

LeahTT

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone

In a few weeks I'll be bringing home my first cockatiel. :heart: I've been reading a lot about proper cockatiel nutrition and fresh foods, but I would appreciate your advice on how long to leave food in the cage between breakfast and dinner. Is there time during the day when there are no food dishes in the cage, only water? Do you leave your pellets/fresh food in the bowls until the next meal is served or the end of the day?

Here's a picture of baby Elton

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I usually leave fresh food for 2-3 hours and then remove. Pellets are available 24 hours a day here! For a cockatiel I would probably leave a 50/50 mix of pellets and seeds available throughout the day. If you don't want to free feed you can also give the majority of the dry food in foraging toys/opportunities

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi (Linnie) has pellets and water available all day and night. In the morning, I make her soft food and leave it in the cage for about 3 hours. Later in the afternoon, I give her 2 Nutri-berries. Each morning I toss her old pellets and give her fresh. I don't have any specific input on a cockatiel's diet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Every morning I give my tiels 50/50 pellets and seeds, which I leave in their cages all day. They get some things like nutriberries, AviCakes, and veggies/greens in the day for treats, and at dinner I give them sprouts and chop. I try to plan it so their seed/pellet mix mostly runs out about 4:30 so they are hungry for something different at dinner, which is around 5:30. At night in their sleep cages they just have water.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
2-4 hours depending on humidity. if its hot and humid 2-21/2 hours. if its cool and like winter, up to 4 hours should be ok ! Pellets and dried fruit can be in the cage for up to 3 days if the temperature is not humid. If it is, i'd change it every day. Or if your bird is molting, no one wants to eat dust =)