• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

treat suggestions/Pampa is brilliant

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
1st I would like suggestions for what you all put in foraging toys. I need dry food and he just throws out the pellets. I am using nuts, his favorite is walnuts, some fruit, like grapes, and veggies like corn or peas, nut berries, any other suggestions for healthy diet. I am concerned that the nuts are too high in fat and dried fruit too high in sugar.

2nd. I am not sure if this shows how smart Pampa is or how trusting he is becoming or both. Used to be when I was attaching his foraging toy to his cage he would aggressively attack me. I had to distract him with other things and move fast because as soon as he saw what I had he would rush over to it. Now he doesn’t bite me at all. He just uses his beak to push my hand out of his way I think he figured out that I was attaching it for him, not trying to take his treats.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Karen’s naturals “just veggies” Are a big a hit here. I stuff avicakes into uncooked penne pasta and wagon wheel pasta
( Lefeber used to make a snack like that but discontinued it sadly) that is my BCC’s favorite thing on the planet next to me and apples. Actually, I stuff avicakes into anything they’ll fit in. pellet berries or nutriberries work well also.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I use dried chili peppers, my green cheek loves them and you can hide them a lot of different places. They're full of B vitamins and other healthy stuff. There are also dried green beans that he used to love but he doesn't really care for them any more. I agree that a fun shaped pasta could work, my birds like to chew on them. My green cheek also likes to chew cinnamon sticks. Dried coconut could also be an option, but similar to the nuts, you don't want to over do it.

I also don't think foraging always has to involve food, my guys are happy if I stuff their toys with crinkle paper for them to pull out.

Dostc426

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chelsea Dostert
If your birdie likes fresh food for foraging you could also make another forage toy out of a hollowed out a bell pepper and stuff fresh fruits and veggies in it for him to forage through! Maybe it will entice him to explore and enjoy the pellets in the other toys as well!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Freeze dried veggies, goldenfeast pellets (I use them as treats as they aren't fortified, could do the same with TOPS), and goji berries are my other go tos beyond sunflower seeds, almonds, nutriberries and pine nuts.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
If your birdie likes fresh food for foraging you could also make another forage toy out of a hollowed out a bell pepper and stuff fresh fruits and veggies in it for him to forage through! Maybe it will entice him to explore and enjoy the pellets in the other toys as well!
Thank you for the suggestion. I also have to laugh because he enjoys foraging for pellots, he enjoys throwing them out LOL.

Does everyone’s birds throw out or drop as much food as they eat?

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
Thank you everyone for t(s suggestions. Thank you Mizzley for the links.