• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Need a quick answer on temperature

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
I have budgies and a cockatiel in a cage out on the porch right now and it appears the flooring being done is not complete tonight and also I detect an odor from the glue?
I want to keep my birds outside tonight to keep them safe. The weather is presently 75 and it’s suppsed be

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I have budgies and a cockatiel in a cage out on the porch right now and it appears the flooring being done is not complete tonight and also I detect an odor from the glue?
I want to keep my birds outside tonight to keep them safe. The weather is presently 75 and it’s suppsed be
Oops sorry... it is supposed to go down to 67 tonight. Will they be safe with a blanket over the cage?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Depends on what they are use to. My birds have always been good at that temperature inside but they are use to it. When they temperature is 10-15 degrees lower than their "norm" it can cause issues.

Is it a screened in porch? I would be more worried about predators than the cold if it's not

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Depends on what they are use to. My birds have always been good at that temperature inside but they are use to it. When they temperature is 10-15 degrees lower than their "norm" it can cause issues.

Is it a screened in porch? I would be more worried about predators than the cold if it's not
It is a porch with banasters around. Then I could try to put the in the room with open windows and hepa filtration.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
So this new flooring and new paint on the walls is coming to an end finally. But the paint did not get applied till today and it is mostly flat latex but wood moldings have the high gloss paint. I have all the windows open fans a blazin' AND air filters going. However I still smell the new paint. Tonight is is supposed to go down to a low of 69 degrees. I am very afraid to bring the birds in with this odor. So I am keeping the door open to the porch and sleeping near the door and I put a blanket over the cage. Any feedback? Does this seem to be a sound way to go about it?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Can't they stay with a neighbor if you ask them?
They don't need to help you with them, just to allowed their cage/cages to be at a safe and warm place.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Can't they stay with a neighbor if you ask them?
They don't need to help you with them, just to allowed their cage/cages to be at a safe and warm place.
No. I cannot take their up 3 flights of steps..its large...and i am older and exhausted.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You are within 10 degrees of their normal temperature - it should be safe.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
You are within 10 degrees of their normal temperature - it should be safe.
Thank you..I sure hope so... even I do not do well with paint fumes. After losing 4 of my budgies who escaped...I sure do not want to lose these babies.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Everything worked out well. The temperature dropped further than 68 so I brought them in at 2 am but left the blankets on hopefully to keep the air ok in their cage. We all made it through the night.