• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where should I place my new bird?

Karnkate

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
There must always be a quarantine, am I right?
Last Saturday I brought home another p’let and named him Joseph. Since in the future Mali and baby Joseph will be sharing some things together (such as the play gym), where should I put Joseph so that the birds are quarantined but able to feel each other’s presence? How far apart?

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Its a 30 day quarantine period, the bird needs to be in another room if you have an xtra, (I put Valentine in the guest room) Once they hear another bird, they will start talking to each other. Always wash your hands before and after when you visit the quarantined bird. This is to keep any germs from passing from one bird to another.

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
Thank you greys4u!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new bird!

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
In a separate room for 30 days if you can. At the very least...the new bird needs a vet check for diseases before they can be in the same room.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
The more 'separate' you can keep them, the better. Like, ideally they would have a different air supply and everything. Obviously, that's not feasible in a home, but definitely in a separate room, and hand washing etc. as mentioned above. Some people even resort to keeping the newcomer in a bathroom if nothing else is available XD

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Congrats on Joseph, and welcome!