• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Spix's Macaw Extinct in the Wild

Sarah Rose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
I saw a recent article that the Spix's macaw had been confirmed to be extinct in the wild due to habitat loss. This is absolutely heartbreaking. The article also said that there is a program working with 60 - 80 Spix's macaws that they will hopefully be able to release into the wild. I hope they can reintroduce the Spix's macaw so the species can fly free in the wild :sad1::(

Blue bird from 'Rio' movie now extinct in the wild - CNN

Blue macaw parrot that inspired "Rio" is now officially extinct in the wild - CBS News

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
that is so sad

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is such a beautiful species of macaw. Hoping for a miracle that they will one day repopulate in the wild.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
There's still hope. I thought there was a recent spotting?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It is very saddening to hear this.
The last I thought I had read was the same as @MagpieDragon, I am also sure I recently read what @faislaq has said about there being a sighting. It is very sad that we are losing so many species of animals.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Sad but not new, the last known Spix's macaw in the wild was declared missing on October 5th of 2000 and the species was presumed extinct in the wild. An accurate presumption considering their habitat is naturally small and the area had been searched extensively throughout the 1990s. This makes the recent lone signing even more mysterious - but that bird was likely an escape from the Brazilian Aviary which is nearby. It's highly unlikely they will admit this.

There has been no official release of Spix's macaws into the wild since the last one disappeared. The remaining members of the species exist either in the possession of the Brazilian government, at Loro Parque on the Canary Islands, or in Al Wabra.

Recuperación del Guacamayo de Spix | Loro Parque Fundación

Al Wabra Wildlife Preservation » SPIX’S MACAW (2007 – )

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Now that you have mentioned it I think it was the Blue Throated Macaw that I am thinking about.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
After the loan male disappeared in 2000 there has never been a controlled effort to release this bird back into the wild. Efforts are currently underway to protect and restore their habitat and numbers in captivity are increasing because captive breeding efforts are finally organized and focused. The next sighting after the loan male was a single bird in 2016 of unknown origin - and who we haven't heard a thing about since. That was a story more disturbing than anything else because if it was an escape then this bird's genetic inheritance could have contributed to future captive populations but now maybe lost. If it is indeed out there in the wild somewhere it likely doesn't have a same species mate.

There are articles on the internet that talk about plans for releasing several dozen into the wild around 2021. But so far that's it, they haven't existed in the wild since 2000. And prior to that the population was down to the last two.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I just wanted to point out that there are many species of parrot that are on the brink of the same fate as the Spix's macaw (and this is the time to act). In particular, the African Grey parrot. This is the most popular pet of the large parrots and yet very little is known about how it lives in the wild. We marvel at their intelligence, through the ones we know and through the work of Dr. Pepperberg, but think of how amazing it would be to understand how they apply this intelligence in their natural lives. Please suppot the World Parrot Trust. They are doing great work and stepping up their efforts due to the recent CITES protection of these birds and governments willing to enforce those protections. Lets learn from our past and discontinue to render extinct the diversity of life that makes this planet beautiful! Lets allow our children to know what a forest full of life sounds like. To read more.....

WPT Flock Talk Newsletter for September 2018

Grey Parrot | World Parrot Trust