• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird is sick again, safe to treat on my own?

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Hey bird friends! My Quaker Louis is sick again and the symptoms are the same as they were last time: labored breathing, sneezing, excessive fluid from the nose, tail bobbing. This seems to happen as soon as the weather turns cold. From researching this website I found that Doxycycline was the best cure and requested my Vet to prescribe it to him. He was better within a few days.

Is it safe to order Doxcycline online and administer it using the same amounts prescribed from my vet? I live in Toronto and have found this link for some:

Bird Biotic - Doxycycline - 100mg

But perhaps there are better options? Please let me know I will definitely run this by my Vet before medicating him.

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
It would be best to have the vet examine Louis, since it's quite possible that it's an entirely different problem. Even if it is the same thing that troubled Louis before, the vet may want to prescribe something else this time. I would recommend letting the vet determine what to do.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it's the exact same thing, and only happens when the weather gets chilly, it might not be illness at all and was just coincidence that he got better.

Or, the problem never was totally snuffed out and that means that the illness may only come out when the weather turns cold because the excess energy that your bird is expending to stay warm makes it harder to hide the symptoms.

Or it may be completely unrelated.

I personally wouldn't just medicate without knowing what it is. Using the wrong medication could have no effect except to strip the bird of good gut flora, or it could make them more sick, not to mention actually strengthen some bacteria.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If it only happens when it gets cold it could be something environmental in your home like a furnace (HVAC). Dirty filters somewhere. A change in tap water. Etc. That also needs investigation.

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Thanks everyone, I just went ahead and took him to the vet and he was prescribed the same medication, he's already looking better :)

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Hello again, just a stressed out bird owner AGAIN. My vet thinks Louis has chlamydia and has prescribed Doxycycline for 10(twice a day) days to kill the immediate infection and Baytril for 6 weeks (twice a day) to kill the infection longterm. He has been on these meds for 10 days. Just to note his blood work came back clear and he is still eating well, is getting the right nutrition. However he is looking sleepier and his breathing is sounding more stressed. Hoping some of you could take a look at him(ill post some videos) ...worried that he may have been misdiagnosed.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
With a breathing problem and antibiotics not doing any good, I would sure as heck have the vet test for Aspergillosis. Asper is a fungus and antibiotics will not touch it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There is a test for chlamydia. Are you saying that came back negative but you are still treating for it ?

The problem is that many illnesses share the same symptoms and just by looking at a bird even an Avian vet often can't determine what is wrong without test.

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Hi guys, the vet said it wasn't Aspergillosis because that's something that would have been found when they tested his blood. The test did not get done for chlamydia though, the vet said that baytril for 6 weeks is proven to effectively kill off the virus and that he strongly suspects that my bird has had it since the first time he was sick last year. Basically, he thinks the doxycycline killed off the initial virus while some of the white chlamydia cells remained dormant in his blood. I suggested just to treat Louis with medication rather than have the his blood taken since he hates being handled and suffers a lot afterwards.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There is a separate test for Asper. It's not part of the basic blood panel, at least not in my part of the world.
I hope all will be well with Louis.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It also can be very tricky to pin down asper from my understanding. I know some people have had to have the test done multiple times and had to resort to x-rays for a diagnosis.

LailaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
LAILA BUTT
Yes you could be right I think i'll have him tested again soon. Does anyone have any experience with Baytril affecting their birds poop? Louis is having a lot of trouble and seems constipated.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@LailaB Anti biotics DON'T kill either fungus or virus! Antibiotics kill bacteria only. No medications kill virus unless they are specifically designed for a virus - they are called anti-virals. There are only two or three antiviral drugs for parrots.

Aspergillosus is tested through a specific blood test called an Aper-titer assay, or a protein electrophoresis, or a new test for galactomannan. An xray can indicate that the lung are occluded or if there are granulomas or large colonies present. The xray cannot tell the Dr. what these are, but can give him a very good idea. Asper-titer assays are not very trustworthy and two or three should be performed to confirm the presence or absence of the fungus.

Now you know enough to talk to your Dr. about Asper.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You should make sure that Louis is drinking. Baytril generally makes the poop runny. Try giving him some wet (juicy) fruit and feed him some pumpkin or papaya.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Please be well aware that chlamydia is zoonotic (can be passed from your bird to you) and take the proper precautions against the possibility that your bird has it. Wash, wash, wash and clean, clean, clean your birds cage.

This article will tell you about chlamydia in humans and birds.
Parrot Fever (Psittacosis): Symptoms, Diagnosis, and Treatments

This article will tell you about chlamydia in birds.
CHLAMYDIA INFECTION IN BIRDS
This.

Disinfect and scrub everything. If you can’t soak it in disinfectant (F10), toss it. You especially need to make sure everything is 100% poop free. This will help make sure that he doesn’t get infected again if chlamydia is the problem, and also protects you.