• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Trimming nails with a dremel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So, I bought a Dremel to trim Java's nails a few weeks ago, and I've tried it out. It does an okay job, but it seems that it takes too long to barely make a difference. When he stands on a flat surface, his back nail is curled under his toe. The problem is, when his nails are trimmed down, he has a problem gripping anything, but if they're too long, I worry it'll cause him foot problems. I'm able to towel him while I file his nails but it does very little to take off the curve, and I don't want to cut too short in fear of harming him and making mobility even more difficult.
The vet charges $35 for four claws, so I've decided to do it myself, but I'm not sure how much is too much. It also doesn't help that his nails are dark.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I have two techs who come to my home and I give them $60 each for nails for five, and beak trim for one. They didn’t ask for that amount, I just figured it was a fair price for their time and expertise. Once a month.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
We have used the dremel here but only for the very pointy tip. Dremels are safe, but put out alot of heat quickly. It's not a source to really cut back the nails, more so a very slight trim. My Amazons never need their nails done ever. They have pedi perches that seem to do the job. Sophie chews on her nails, so we clip or blunt the tip with a bird nail clipper.

In Java's case- maybe file periodically? Or dremel the tip. Nails that are normal length can be determined with a bird standing squarely on their feet and the nails or tips touching the flat surface naturally.

They are long if they are curling towards their foot or under. Maybe a flat perch such as a birds on the rocks stone perch can help you.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Pedi perches are hard when you have a bird with a missing leg.

I use nail clippers and cardboard nail files. But I've been nail clipping birds for over a decade so...

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are long if they are curling towards their foot or under. Maybe a flat perch such as a birds on the rocks stone perch can help you.
That's the case. They curl under his toe when he stands on a flat surface, but if they're trimmed to the "normal" length, he can't grip.
Even when I use a file, his nails always curl under and I can't see his quick so I don't know when to stop filing

Last edited:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And he's still dealing with bumblefoot. Even standing on a non-padded surface for a few minutes irritates his skin and it starts turning red

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Since you have no real skill or experience with doing this, you should not be doing this. What Java needs is a "corrective trim" that you can "maintain" from that point on. Pay the money and let a skilled vet do it while you watch a absorb everything you need to know going forward. Then you can do it yourself.

This corrective trim may involve the nail bleeding a bit but this is to be expected and the vet knows how to handle it. Again valuable knowledge to absorb.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Since you have no real skill or experience with doing this, you should not be doing this. What Java needs is a "corrective trim" that you can "maintain" from that point on. Pay the money and let a skilled vet do it while you watch a absorb everything you need to know going forward. Then you can do it yourself.

This corrective trim may involve the nail bleeding a bit but this is to be expected and the vet knows how to handle it. Again valuable knowledge to absorb.
Great advice.

Ask the vet at the same time he's doing it.

I wonder if you use a nail file one a week if you can keep it where it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.