• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Where to buy safe rope/cordin'?

Leigh Porter

Moving in
Hello hello! I am new to postin' here, but not new to browsin'.

I've been lookin' into wantin' to make a couple toys for my little budgie, and I see contradictory statements throughout on where it is and isn't safe to purchase cordin' or rope from.

Hemp- is the craft rolls from jo-anns safe? From what I recall from workin' there eons ago, their brand is Darice. I believe this is also the same type available from walmart. Final verdict- Yay or nay?

Sisal rope- i know the stuff from Walmart is not safe, as is the jute, because HOLY CHEMICAL SMELL BATMAN! Is there anywhere people have successfully purchased from that isn't online? As far as that's concerned, I have located this at the local Harbor Freight that I was wonderin' is safe:
1/2 in. x 50 ft. Sisal Rope

I did see someone say they purchased TW brand from Ollies, but that's a little more of a drive for me, which I will do if the harbor freight brand is not safe, since others said the TW one was golden.

Thanks for readin', and for the time!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Check out the AA vendors such as California Bird Nerds (CABN). They are closed right now but will re-open in a few days. Also check out Blu's Bird Toys (BBT). Jan might have some of those items still available.

Leigh Porter

Moving in
Yeah, I see a lot of places online but- as I said- I was lookin' to see if there was any place store front wise that people get their stuff from that I may look before I go about online.

Thank you for the suggestions!

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I buy from California Bird Nerds (CABN) and Make Your Own Bird Toys (MYOBT). As for buying in person, I only buy from my local bird store, because I know what they sell is safe. It's just much cheaper and easier for me to buy online.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Unless you know for sure it's untreated, I stay away. Since most of the Joanne's, Walmart, hobby lobby stuff doesn't specify, I don't take the chance

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I mostly use natural cotton. I buy natural cotton warp yarn in my sewing store.
If I want it thicker I twine it.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I use poly cord. Mysafebirdstore sells it in a variety of colors. I also use untreated leather lace, which they also sell.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
All of the ropes I sell are bird safe.

Leigh Porter

Moving in
Went ahead and bought some burb-safe rope online. ( and a few other goodies to make safe toys XD )
Thank you for the suggestions, guys! <3