• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A little yeasty?

Bgeogs

Moving in
I just got a message from the vet that all of max’s Labs are good, but he’s a little ‘yeasty’. ?
Anybody have any experience or thoughts on this before I call her back?
Thanks, Barb

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Almost all of our birds have at one time or another, had a yeast infection. Generally, they aren't serious and can be taken care of with fungicidal meds like Fluconazole . Now and then the yeast is more serious and requires intense treatment - Aspergillosis, Candidasis ….
With a fungal infection, you want to cut out all sugars because sugars just give the fungus lots of food to eat and grow.
Here is an article that explains the most common yeast infections and how to treat them.

Fungal diseases of pet birds: Recognize infection early

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I give my Linnie Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV with the mother) in her water 1 week each month. 1T to a 1/2 liter of water. This was recommended by my avian vet to discourage yeast overgrowth. Gigi doesn't seem to care at all and drinks her water in the same way with or without the ACV.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Try not to feed any fresh corn for a while too.

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
I third the ACV...my Pi had a little yeast when we first got him...doc said probably from the stress of being rehomed. He wouldn't drink the water with a full tablespoon so I experimented with the amounts. I think I had to lower it down to about 2 teaspoons. I would taste the water and if it was just slightly detectable he was fine with it. He cleared up in a month.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I third the ACV...my Pi had a little yeast when we first got him...doc said probably from the stress of being rehomed. He wouldn't drink the water with a full tablespoon so I experimented with the amounts. I think I had to lower it down to about 2 teaspoons. I would taste the water and if it was just slightly detectable he was fine with it. He cleared up in a month.
What dosage did your vet suggested? And how often?
I have no problem to give mine 1 teaspoon (5 ml) Raw ACV in 1 dl carrot juice. I have never tried to give it in just water.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My vet sassy 15 ml to 1 liter of water but that s a pretty mild dose.

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
What dosage did your vet suggested? And how often?
I think my vet had suggested a tablespoon to 1L of water, which is the same as yours, but I had to water it down more because he wouldn't drink it. I think I ended up with 1 1/2 - 2 teaspoons per liter. I would just take a drink myself and make sure it wasn't all that noticeable. I think he had it for 10 days...around that time. He still cleared even with the lower dose. We retested him in a month and he was normal.

If I were you I would try giving the full dose first and just water it down if the bird won't drink it. But taste it...if you can't swallow it and it's totally burning and too strong chances are the bird will reject it too. My Pi is one of those birds that would rather not eat then have something he doesn't like. Luckily he was originally weaned on a healthy diet so he likes some good stuff, but it can be hard for me to get him to try new things.