• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Splayed legs

StephFaunce

Meeting neighbors
One of my baby pigeons that's about a week old has splayed legs. Does anyone have experience with that? How did you fix it?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Start with a vet and see if using something like the foam thingys used for a pedicure but adapt it to your baby.

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
My parrotlet has splayed legs. This can happen for other reasons than not having enough to grip in the nest box upon hatching. For example, I was told that was the case with my bird, but the avian vet said it was clear both legs had been broken and not treated, so her legs healed wrong. She ended up needing antibiotics to recover and she just looked like a splayed leg chick. It’s always best to have the vet check them out.

StephFaunce

Meeting neighbors
Thank you guys very much! @Birdbabe , I didn't take it as mean, I asked for suggestions or if anyone has had to deal with it! Thank you!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
You need to get him to a vet. This can be fixed but needs to be addressed as soon as possible. If you fail to do so, the bird will live a disabled life, as from what I understand there is just a small window for treatment when they are young.

StephFaunce

Meeting neighbors
You need to get him to a vet. This can be fixed but needs to be addressed as soon as possible. If you fail to do so, the bird will live a disabled life, as from what I understand there is just a small window for treatment when they are young.

Yes I read that too thank you

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I am in pinal county, Az. Any recommendations on an avian vet?
I’m in Mesa, but I use both Avian Exotic Animal Clinic and Dr Lamb at Arizona Exotic Animal Hospital. It’d be about an hour to an hour and a half drive from pinal, but they’re the best I know of. A few members here use them and have had only good things to say.

Last edited:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I’m in Phoenix and I go to the Avian Exotic Hospital and see Dr. Driggers (Mesa I think). I think Dr. Hillary Frank is another local avian vet. I’m glad he has such a good owner to talke care of his legs. I’ve seen birds on craigslist with splayed legs and it makes me so mad that it could have been repaired early on and now the birds have to suffer.

I found a baby thrasher with splayed legs while on a bike ride once. He was in the gutter of a busy road and could not walk. His mother was very attentive, but it was clear the bird had something wrong with it. I hated taking him from her, but I knew he would die soon. I carried him home on one hand, riding several miles. It was very hot, and I sprayed water on him to cool him. He seemed to enjoy the ride. I took him to Liberty Wildlife, who said his legs were badly splayed, but the vet could repair them and he would be released when healed.

StephFaunce

Meeting neighbors
I have not heard of Dr Frank or Dr lamb but I have heard of Dr driggers from my friends facebook post about a iguana attacked by a pit bull. I took him to a sanctuary here in town who took him to his vet and is going to keep an eye on him until he can come home so he can heal without being stressed here with my other pigeons. He should be ready to come home in a couple days the little fatty!

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Wonderful news! I'm glad he is getting vet care so he can live a normal life! :)