• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Foot injury

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Seems all things nice, sugar and spice Sophie is SPICE! Walked down the hall right to Kazoos room.

We'll she for his foot! His cage is huge, so bars and cage, tray are very low to the ground. That's how she got his foot while on the cage bars.

I was mad at her and my other half. He got home Friday night, let her out of her cage. So my new floor explorer went right for Kazoos room.

Needless to say this will never happen again!!

Packed with cayenne pepper paste, alittle coconut oil and tonight it's much better. Tomorrow we will shower him to wash off the foot, and reapply more cayenne and coconut oil. That's why it orange!

Whew, on my toes this house keeps me! Pic of last night, tonight, looking better. Toes are fine, he's got full mobility. I'm sure it's sore, my poor boy :( 20180825_114130.jpg
20180826_205632.jpg

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Poor baby. :c Do you have a bird first aid kit?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Holy cow, she really got him good. Poor baby, OUCHIE. You know what to do, keep it clean, pad out his perches if need be, and signs of infection, beat feet for the avian vet.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Poor baby. :c Do you have a bird first aid kit?
There isn't much you can do first aid wise other than get the blood to clot which it did faster and pain management with cayenne pepper. It's a powerful pain relieving anti-bacterial herb.

Holy cow, she really got him good. Poor baby, OUCHIE. You know what to do, keep it clean, pad out his perches if need be, and signs of infection, beat feet for the avian vet.
Yes, his perches are all clean- rope perches are clean as well. It is better than it was a day ago. The dark color you see is the combo of coconut oil/cayenne and blood that is dry. It's looking way better tonight and he's using his foot more tonight. Yes for the Vet if there is any change in color- but color looks better tonight. I will get it cleaned up with a shower tomorrow and see how it looks once very clean.

I know even me being the most hands on careful home that an accident as such happened. Sophie is more bold now- especially if no vest is on her. She got off the cage, walked down the hallway right into Kazoo's room and he must have slid down the bars to forewarn her and then BAM.

I am still upset, mad at both of them her and my Man- I cannot change it just forward on doors closed!

Meh.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Hey, he's still got his toe and it looks like it will heal just fine and she is OK too so a scary learning experience that I bet will never happen again. I'm sure the screaming must have been gut wrenching when he realized what happened.
Sister accidentally stepped on Nerd one day years ago as he trusted us fully and was a bad flying carpet parrot. The death scream he let out as he tried to fly away and bounced into the couch was horrible, but it turned out he was fine and probably barely got touched or just some feathers pulled and he sure loved all the attention. Our protocols around his areas changed real quick after that and he learned to make traveling music while walking and not trust us to see him when he walked up to us.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope that he will heal quickly. Good that there is no breakage and area does not appear necrotic. Lucy got bit by one of the birds. The alleged suspect is Shannon. Her toe was broken and the tip became necrotic and fell off. Had two ligaments sticking out and those were clipped last week when we were at the vet's office.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Hey, he's still got his toe and it looks like it will heal just fine and she is OK too so a scary learning experience that I bet will never happen again. I'm sure the screaming must have been gut wrenching when he realized what happened.
Sister accidentally stepped on Nerd one day years ago as he trusted us fully and was a bad flying carpet parrot. The death scream he let out as he tried to fly away and bounced into the couch was horrible, but it turned out he was fine and probably barely got touched or just some feathers pulled and he sure loved all the attention. Our protocols around his areas changed real quick after that and he learned to make traveling music while walking and not trust us to see him when he walked up to us.
I was not home when this happened, I got home about 45 min after this happened. I was MAD!! Mad at him for not telling me (I saw this as soon as Kazoo stepped up) and it broke my heart. I went out into our great room and confronted him and proceeded to call him a d*ck! :angry: I will never happen again. If she's out of her cage, her door to her room will be closed so she can go explore or better yet 'stalk' my boy!

Hope that he will heal quickly. Good that there is no breakage and area does not appear necrotic. Lucy got bit by one of the birds. The alleged suspect is Shannon. Her toe was broken and the tip became necrotic and fell off. Had two ligaments sticking out and those were clipped last week when we were at the vet's office.
Yes, the skin was what is missing, but she got him on that toe on the side and knicked his back toe too- nothing like what you see. It's not necrotic at all, not broken. The dark nasty looking ring is dry blood/coconut oil/ cayenne pepper.

Still upset about this!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad that it’s not worse, and I hope that he will heal quickly, poor birdie.
:hug8:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Poor Kazoo! Hope he makes a quick recovery and isn’t too Side:heart:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I almost didn't want to post this. But to allow others to know as much as we watch, care for and kerp species separate, it can happen at the blink of an eye.

His toe looks better today, we will shower in alittle while.

I am very lucky that it wasn't a toe loss, I think I couldn't deal with this at all! The guilt has been killing me since it happened.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Since he didn't want to shower, soaked the foot with Avi Vera spray. It's all dry, looks like it's healing well.

It's very hard to feel like a great parront when something happens and I wasn't home to protect him!
20180827_095806.jpg

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Doesn't look too bad today.
Glad you sorted it out.
Is Sophie holding her foot up at all?
He holds it up. I'm sure it's sure. But he's using it to eat, he stands flat footed on things and walks the floor.

It just needs time to heal. And yes, looking much better today. I'm off the next few days and if need be, if anything changes we'll go to the Vet.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
20180828_171628.jpg Kazoo's toe is healing nicely. Tomorrow, he will get a shower with me so we can clean it off some more. He uses his foot and pain and swelling is probably gone now.

His foot a few mins ago. 20180828_171628.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That looks a lot better and that's great!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Yay! It’s looking really good!
I know, what a relief! I swear by the Cayenne pepper added to the injury right away.
That looks a lot better and that's great!
Thank you, I just want to cringe at another Vet bill. Still not out of the woods, have a surgery upcoming for my sheltie. We had the consult today- low side almost $1500 and high side $1700 and one more going in for a dental next month- and then the next it never ends! But everyone will have fresh breath!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know, what a relief! I swear by the Cayenne pepper added to the injury right away.

Thank you, I just want to cringe at another Vet bill. Still not out of the woods, have a surgery upcoming for my sheltie. We had the consult today- low side almost $1500 and high side $1700 and one more going in for a dental next month- and then the next it never ends! But everyone will have fresh breath!

I understand that with vet bills. I think I've paid about $1000 in vet bills over the past few weeks. Hope all will be well with your sheltie.