• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Won’t. Stop. Screaming.

Shahrn

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rohan
My cockatiel is about 4 years old now. He’s never been THIS vocal, to where he’s screaming literally every 3 seconds. He used to be fairly quiet - with occasional singing and talking every hour or so - but now he’s constantly screaming. Further, he’s also biting and attacking people too. He never used to do this before.

It’s getting really frustrating.

He’s not hungry. He’s even screaming when he’s on my shoulder. I don’t know what to do.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Has anything, even the smallest detail, changed? Are you doing something differently? How do you react when he screams? Are there certain times he screams more? Does he have enough toys and foraging opportunities? A lot of questions, but they are important to find the scource of his screaming so you can appropriatly adress his behavior:)
@Mizzely has quite Some experience with screaming birds:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

hanee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Judit Hannak
Is your bird kept alone? It can be a reason he is screaming. You are a human being and unable to make him happy as only another bird of the same species can make him happy. It may also get worse if his hormones kick in and want to breed. That one you can manage by decreasing day hours and give less protein. If not yet having a mate, I suggest you get one as soon as possible as it might just get worse for him (and you).

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It also helps to know your birds calls and what they mean. When we talk about parrot vocalizations I wonder, at times, whether we are all on the same page.

My birds make all sorts of noises.

They have a contact call. A one note call when they are trying to locate another bird or person.

An alarm call. A one note shrill, loud panic call that sends all the birds into flight mode. They all go flying.

A purr/grr noise which seems to indicate that they are interested or like something.

They have a very loud, harsh call that they make over and over (I call this a scream). I think it basically is their way of saying that something is wrong and needs to be changed. We want attention, come visit us. Someone got out of their cage, come put them back or let us all out (I am not sure which). We are out of food, dumped our water. There is something new that we want removed (that new toy looks evil)... It can mean lots of things. It is not the emergency alert call but it definitely requires attention.

They also have plenty of little chirpy softer noises that they make that I consider chatter. Maybe it's just an inside joke but it doesn't seem to require my attention.

If you can narrow it down then it may be easier to address. I am not at all familiar with cockatiels (we always had budgies) I never had a tiel.