• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wanting to get a painted conure, have questions.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The same way as the kale and spinach? And now I'm really really excited to get a bird, but then I remember I'm broke and I can't have a bird yet.. Until I move out... According to my mom, but I know as soon as I get one, she'll fall in love and not want me to take it with me when I move. Lol.

I've never cooked it but I'm sure you could find a recipe to be sure :)

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I just planted a bunch of seeds in a gigantic pot that was in the back yard. I planted stuff like collard greens, yellow banana peppers, sweet basil, crenshaw, some weird flowers (decoration not food), a giant grape from our other vines, carrots, beets, and peas. And I think that's it, I might be forgetting a few. But the cage's bars are 1 inch apart. Is that too big for a painted conure? I need to get it out of the shed so I can clean it up and look at it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes 1" is much too big for a painted conure. My green cheek would have climbed right out of that! 5/8" is max.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Yes 1" is much too big for a painted conure. My green cheek would have climbed right out of that! 5/8" is max.
Oh... Well I'm sure I can find a cage in time lol. But do birds like all the seeds I planted? I'm guessing collard greens are in the same boat as spinach, kale, and purslane.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
From what I understand, it has all the nutrients as spinach and kale, except without the oxalic acid. And has the same amount of omega 3's as purslane, which is the best producer of omega 3's for vegans and vegetarians.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Yes, Mache (I don’t have the accent on my phone) is safe for them.

You can boil lightly or sauté with organic vegetable oil, palm oil or coconut oil any food that is safe for them.

Do keep in mind that when you boil, you pour a lot of nutrients out with the water.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Today I planted, about 20 different kinds of bird friendly plants. I don't know why this is in my mind, but I keep remembering that birds can eat spicy peppers? Is this true? Today I planted: Peas, Lamb's lettuce or Mache, Icicle radishes, Basil, Carrots, Beets, Yellow banana peppers, Long red cayenne peppers, Broccoli, Crenshaw, Borage or Starflowers (I don't know if this is safe for birds), Collard greens, and Michael-Leonard. Tomorrow I want to plant Green beans, and chives. And then soon I'm getting my dandelion seeds in the mail. I'm also hoping to set up an indoor plant area, with an expensive light that cycles through the day. The light is called a Vivagrow 24/7, I have 2 on my 135 gallon fish tank, and they work really well for the plants, but they're also meant for terrestrial plants.

Feathered up

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Yes, they can eat the peppers. Sounds like you’re planning ahead. Lol

My growing season is soon over unfortunately so mine will have to deal with what I harvested and thaw for them.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Yes, they can eat the peppers. Sounds like you’re planning ahead. Lol

My growing season is soon over unfortunately so mine will have to deal with what I harvested and thaw for them.
Ya, lol. Got to have a constant renewable supply of animal and human food for when the economy crashes. Lol. Do birds not feel the spice/heat from the peppers? I'm pretty sure the growing season here is almost over too, the last harvest is usually in October, but I'm growing most of the plants indoors. It gets extremely hot where I live, and nothing really grows from May to September. You have to plant in March, hope they get big enough to withstand the heat, although all summer you get the produce from the plants, and then finish the harvest in October (usually when the pumpkins are ready, those are the lasts things to be harvested), pull everything up, and till the soil for next year. Oh, and I also want to plant a couple different pumpkin varieties tomorrow.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Are borage leaves safe for birds? I can find the blossom to be safe, but not the leaves.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I just ordered an indoor garden growing bulb. Hopefully it works, because it's so hot I had to put them downstairs in the very back room to even get them to germinating temperatures, and the room has no windows, so the bulb will be the only source of light for them.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I just went and bought a big bag of potting soil, and two big old clear plastic totes to plant all the plants in once they get to size. I might need another one just in case the two aren't enough. They were only 3 dollars on sale. They're super deep, so the root veggies have room to grow.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
I'm just going to sell the big cage I have now so I can buy a new one. The cage is about 5 ft tall x 3 ft across the front x 2 ft front to back. How much do you think I should start it at? It's only been used once.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Got my two plant totes' drainage and false bottoms all set up. Actually I got one completely set up, just no plants yet, but I ran out of soil on the second one. For drainage I just drilled 7 hole in each of the bottoms, and covered them with screen to keep the soil and rocks in. Then for a false bottom I just put a whole bunch of gravel and rocks (about an inch) and then on top of that came the soil. My indoor grow bulb is coming tomorrow, so hopefully the plants start sprouting soon so I can put the light on them and get them growing. Once I get them in the big planters, I'm going to move them outside until the end of summer, and then see how hard it is to keep them alive in the back room, with no windows, and just a full spectrum grow bulb. I'm moving them to the tubs when each plant gets at least 4 actual leaves.

Colt Frost

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Colt Frost
Just ordered some Purslane and peppermint seeds. I tried transplanting some Purslane, but It's not doing good at all. And then the mint out front I found out is a wild variety so I don't want to risk there being anything in it that can hurt a conure.