• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

There's something wrong with this parakeet

music2music

Meeting neighbors
*I embeded a link to the video, let me know if it doesn't work.*

Warning: this may he disturbing/hard to watch. I'm posting this here for awareness and to see what may be wrong with this bird.

I went to my local Pet Smart today and saw this. This little budgie was breathing heavily, had abnormally puffy cheeks, and was seizing like you see in the video. He also wasn't moving around as much as the other parakeets. I'm not sure if something was caught in his throat, was sick, or what.

My mom and I let a cashier know and she said she was going to let a worker know. It sucks that that is much that we could really do.

If anyone has any possible explination for this, please let me know. I'm really concerned for the little guy because he looks very very young.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Please see a avian vet

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Call the store for an update. If they haven’t done anything let them know you are reporting it to the SPCA.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope they take the little one to the vet. I saw a budgie tail bobbing at my local Petsmart and I told the manager and then I waited around until they separated him from the other birds and took him to the back. They said they would observe and then take to the vet.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Call the store for an update. If they haven’t done anything let them know you are reporting it to the SPCA.
Yes to this! :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I contacted PetSmart via email about 2 hours ago. I'm planning to call the store in the morning because by then, they should've done something. I just hate seeing such a young bird suffer. :(
He might be dead by then. Why wait? You are his only chance.

music2music

Meeting neighbors
My store closed 20 minutes ago, and I originally let an employee know about 8 hours ago. If nobody else noticed the bird acting strange or no employee did something, it's on the store. It was obvious that there was something wrong.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That poor baby is very ill,, all you can do is tell them..but in my experience with these places..they really dont give a $#i!..I've been round and round with Petsmart. Finally had to stop going in there,,infuriating! I got in a managers face once about the filthy water and no food in the bird area, stopped in every day after the confrontation to check on them, it was a bit better, but. I know when they saw me, they were probably thinking, oh no, theres that crazy b!+(# again.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that they are taking him to the vet. They probably need to get him in sooner than tomorrow but I doubt that would take him to an ER vet at least he will get checked tomorrow.
I hope he will be OK.

music2music

Meeting neighbors
As far as I know, the closest avian vet to me is at least a half an hour away and there are no emergency avian vets in the area to my knowledge sadly. The closest one seems to be almost 17 miles away and is closed today. :(

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Update:
I just called the store. He is still alive, but still breathing heavily. He has a vet appointment tomorrow.
I am the bad vibe here to say there won't be a tomorrow for this little one. Shame on the store!
A Manager should have removed this little babe and put it in an isolated area, away from stressers and People with a heat lamp. I would have not left until someone acted on it.

Thank you for your caring!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

music2music

Meeting neighbors
Update: I didn't notice that I had a voicemail on my phone from the store until now. They left me a voicemail on the 20th (so 3 days ago now). They got the little buddy back from the vet and he was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. He was given antibiotics to hopefully help him. When they got him back, he was in the same condition. I'm really glad that they did follow up with me because I was really worried for the little guy.

music2music

Meeting neighbors
And,, dont they "Petsmart " have in house vets..AKA "Banfield "? No excuse...
Sadly, I doubt my store has one of these. I never even knew a pet store could have one of those to be honest. I'm not sure why they wouldn't have one, but it's probably just so they don't have to spend more money.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Banfield doesn't treat birds. My Petsmart has a Banfield but they take the birds to another vet. In fact they take them to my vet. They also take some of the other exotics. The other day when I was at the vet's office they had a few lizards from Petsmart that were being treated.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Update: I didn't notice that I had a voicemail on my phone from the store until now. They left me a voicemail on the 20th (so 3 days ago now). They got the little buddy back from the vet and he was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. He was given antibiotics to hopefully help him. When they got him back, he was in the same condition. I'm really glad that they did follow up with me because I was really worried for the little guy.

You did everything you could, now hopefully time will be on the bird's side. Thank you for saving him.