• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures They don’t want to come out

KaeKae

Moving in
Real Name
Kaelin G.
My 3 little lovebirds got a bigger cage with plenty of toys 5 days ago.
And now they never want to come out anymore!
What do I do ? Do I force them out to socialize them while they are young or do I let them be and leave their door open for hours, as I have been doing, and they will eventually come out when they feel like it ??

That’s Dash, Jet, and Flip snoozing away hehe 36E8D59E-10E8-4DD8-9C92-1F467189D35E.jpeg

BeebeesMom

Strolling the yard
Hello - I am no expert. What worked for my lovie is teaching him the step up / down command first. You can try their favorite treat in your hand to coax them out. I wouldnt leave the cage door open. This can create dominance and safety issues. Read read read everything you can get your hands on to learn. Have a routine. Helps them know whats going on and build trust.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you’re supervising and the room is safe, there’s nothing wrong with leaving the door open. Don’t force them. Let them get used to their new digs and they’ll come out when they’re ready.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
I'd absolutely not force them to do anything while you're still building trust (unless it's for health and safety reasons). Instead, entice them to come out or make the outside of their cage more exciting. I usually hang rope perches and favourite toys on the outside of my birds cages so they can easily return to it (and are motivated to do so) while they're flying about. It's a safe spot for many birds and they might be more likely to leave the confines of their cages if they know they can easily choose to return.

I've also worked at training birds from within their cages for various reasons and it's very possible, especially if you have a flight cage where they can still move far enough away from you if they're too afraid.

Your trio is adorable! Have fun getting to know them better and enjoy their quirky little personalities. :D

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
When I first brought my birds home (a little over a year ago) they were too scared to come out of the cage. I would open the door and just sit with a book and some music on. Mainly I just quietly sat and listened to music and read, sometimes I would talk to them or even read my book out loud. Eventually they just got curious enough to start venturing out. They would initially stay close to the door and jump back inside anytime anything startled them. But eventually they would leave and fly to different high places in the room. I would just quietly watch them and let them explore. Now they always want out and love spending as much time as possible outside on top of their cage.........and neighboring book cases. Just give them time and be sure to supervise the three of them together. They will eventually come out because of their very curious nature.

KaeKae

Moving in
Real Name
Kaelin G.
Thanks everyone, I’ll be patient and in a few months I’ll let you all know how it’s going ☺