• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

One legged african grey

Leshika

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leshika
Im currently an owner of a 5 month old african grey now i have an opportunity to purchase a one legged african grey who has no luck in finding a home.my problem is that i have no experience with a handicapped bird.so my question is that do you all think that it is a smart move to buy the bird?please help i need advice before i purchase the bird.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah, I see. @Leshika I have a one-legged bird who is slightly larger than an African Grey, and I have had him for 6 months. Even though it's a struggle, I think you should definitely give this guy a home. AA and I will help you every step of the way. Any questions you have, ask away. Always glad to help! And Welcome! :):):)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Welcome! If you are financially able to(enough money for vet costs, double the food and toys etc) and enough time available, then yes! I think it Will be worth it:)

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
I had a Grey who was functionally one-legged - she had both legs, but one had been badly broken in the nest and by the time they noticed, the vet said it would be worse to try and fix it, so it stuck out at a rather stomach-churning angle XD Totally useless for 'normal bird things'.

That said, it didn't slow her down one bit except for walking on the ground. She couldn't hold onto big chunks of food, and of course 'foot toys' were right out, but she never seemed to notice the lack of them.

I wouldn't hesitate at all, especially if s/he is having a hard time finding a home. That is, of course, assuming you feel up to the challenge of having two rather demanding birds.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Thank u all .i think i am going to get the bird:dance4:.i think it was born with the one leg..
Yay! I have a three legged blind bunny with an autoimmune issue, and I can assure you that disabled animals are the best!!! Congrats!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yay! I have a three legged blind bunny with an autoimmune issue, and I can assure you that disabled animals are the best!!! Congrats!
Ahw I didn’t know that, you should post pictures of her one time!:heart:

Leshika

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leshika
Helooo . i just picked up the bird it seems to be somewhat crippled.im a little freaked out about its sleeping form , it sleeps with its head down like we do and it usually lays on its side .its this "normal" for a crippled bird? Also can someone tell me the best position to have it in so that i can feed it formula

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
If he's so young as to still need formula, I wouldn't worry about the sleeping position. As he gets older he will learn to compensate (although he may not always - or, indeed, possibly ever - 'perch' to sleep, since he only has one foot and it will probably get tired.)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Helooo . i just picked up the bird it seems to be somewhat crippled.im a little freaked out about its sleeping form , it sleeps with its head down like we do and it usually lays on its side .its this "normal" for a crippled bird? Also can someone tell me the best position to have it in so that i can feed it formula
Java will lean on his side when he's still, and I believe it's to take weight off his foot. When I uncover him in the morning, he's always leaned forward and resting on his side, but I've never seen him sleep so I don't know if that's his sleeping position or not.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Ahw I didn’t know that, you should post pictures of her one time!:heart:
Here we are! Ajax is a real sweetie, he’s now 9 and was rescued from a meat auction. He likes to go to preschools and hang out with the kids (my arms are covered in happy bunny slobber every time, he really love kids). D5DBDCCA-DBBF-4185-9F5C-E4D19568ED41.jpeg

I’d get some platform perches so he can rest his leg. I’ve seen pictures of parrots with disabilities sleeping like that, I think that’s a way they compensate :)

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Here we are! Ajax is a real sweetie, he’s now 9 and was rescued from a meat auction. He likes to go to preschools and hang out with the kids (my arms are covered in happy bunny slobber every time, he really love kids). View attachment 284140

I’d get some platform perches so he can rest his leg. I’ve seen pictures of parrots with disabilities sleeping like that, I think that’s a way they compensate :)
Oh.. I think my heart just melted:swoon: What a sweet face and he has such a gorgeous color! He looks like an angel! My three flamish giants were meant to be a christmas dinner as well before I got them, so glad you got your boy out of there:heart:

@Leshika glad you got him home! How are things now? I agree about the platforms, perhaps wrapped in fleece for more comfort:) depending on how young he is(incubater or cage) you could also make the entire bottom fleece or something else that is soft:)

Max83

Walking the driveway
Happy you decided to adopt him, if he was born that way I think he'll compensate better because for him it's a "natural thing" have only one leg. So good giving a life to animals in difficult and succesful stories of users here prove they absolutely deserve the chance to have a family and they can be happy

Leshika

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Leshika
The baby bird is doing well. He wants to do everything my other grey does.he can fly aswell and loves to fly onto my bed.i have kept the cage far away because he had got his stump stuck in the travel cage it was such a disaster.it started bleeding. For things to b safe i just keep him in a box thats turned on its side so that he is able to exit when he wants to.but he gets along great with my other grey so atleast his not lonely.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is great to hear! I am very happy for you and your greys!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
:dance4:yay, congrats on your new family member. I missed this thread last week, only discovered now that you had picked the baby up.....got any pics to share?