• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

First post

Bgeogs

Moving in
Hi, I’ve been lurking around here for awhile gathering info,and I finally made a decision.
I’ll be picking up my maxi next week when we get home from vacation!
I did look into rescues ( most of our dogs and all of our cats have been rescues) but there aren’t many homeless pionus out there. I don’t know if that’s because they’re not that common or that they are just wonderful birds :)
Years ago we had a female BCC who was sweet and well behaved. After reading some of these posts, I’m realizing we must have been really lucky, because apparently we did a lot wrong, and despite that, she just fit right in with us. That included 3 boys, 4 dogs and a cat.
I know there is no such thing as a perfect bird, but until I read some of these stories, I thought a pionus would be close. My concerns are one - they clipped his wings ( although they say he definitely fledged) and two- he is a he. The hormonal aggression stories have me a little freaked.
Other than that, I’m so excited! His hatch date is may 25th and he’s so sweet. He stepped right up for me, which I was amazed at because he’s in a bird store, not a breeder’s home.
Can’t wait!
PS - why are they so hard to find?

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
My WCP is a rescue, but after the first "honeymoon" week, everything has been a struggle. Even so, she has learned VERY quickly! I'm so proud of her! I think she's wonderful! The poor members have helped me through my seemingly tiny firsts and situations with her. It's amazing that when another bird making the same stride invokes such a different reaction! @Dartman and @Eloy among others have helped me greatly with Pionus things!

I'm currently on my way to pick up an older female BCC! I'm just giddy with excitement!

Surely your AA experienced will be as great and educational as mine.

:bounce4:Welcome!!!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Welcome and congrats! :) Maxis is the best! ♥♥♥

PS - why are they so hard to find?
Because they are so awesome so everyone wants them! :D
But no, Pionus and Maxis are hard to breed, and people often want a Too or a Grey so therefor they don't breed them so much.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Congratulations and welcome :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA and congrats on getting your Pionus.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I got my first Maxi's in 78 and never saw any others for years, or any info about them but they were basically mostly quiet and gentle and loved each other, Nerd and his brother Ferd who left us suddenly a few years in.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Don't be freaked out by hormone stories. Each bird is different, and you can only deal with it when or if it happens, so no need to worry over it, esp if you're getting the male anyways.

My male is the sweetest to me and his other caretakers. Never any issue with hormones.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
I agree. Two of my males are in the same cage even. One gets a little (very little) hormonal while the other doesn't at all and keeps him in line. Another male gets very hard to handle while my females think the hormonal boys are just silly. Only two show any signs at all. But there are easy ways to deal with it!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
They are great birds and sadly so under rated. It took 14 years to get my first and then there were years long gaps between the subsequent 3. I wish there were more breeders for them since they are so great but most don't realize it. My 4 are all different in personality. I am at my limit but when I see them in rescues I always get ready to jump on it.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Oh the baby faces.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate