• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Destructible Toys

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
Great page!

I also make my own 'pillow boxes' to stuff with crinkle paper and treats out of toilet paper/paper towel rolls by folding in the ends and securing with string (cotton, jute, sissal, leather, whatever I have on hand, and usually 2-3 different kinds.) All my fids have loved them once they figured out what they were. (Poking a few holes and either pulling out some of the paper bits to stick out or sticking millet in the holes the first time or two that I offer them usually has them happily destroying them within a couple of days.)

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
Excellent post! All of those materials in those toys my birds have enjoyed tearing apart ( except egg carton, never tried).
I made 4 destructible toys today. I used popsicle sticks, empty paper roll, cupcake liners, paper bag, straws, and tissue paper.

I really need to get some finger traps, balsa wood, and vine balls. Mine LOVE those materials. They make the toy disappear like how cotton candy melts in your mouth, except with a scattered bits everywhere.

It's so important for them to have destructible toys.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I remember making a paper box for Sky, cutting out fun-shaped holes in each side, and stuffing it with ripped-up paper towels. He was suspicious of it at first, and wouldn't play with it while I was around, but after a week all the paper towel was on the floor and the box almost cut in half! Sky was a little closet player, always tearing up his toys as soon as I was out of sight and earshot.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
buy new egg cartons from somewhere. Used egg cartons harbor salmonella potentially.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
and don't use regular tp. I buy seventh generation unbleached tp from amazon. It's lint free.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
I have to agree on the toilet paper. It's thin and would be fun to shred, but I never used it for Sky and won't for any future birds.

Never knew about the egg cartons. Interesting. I thought birds were immune to the effects of salmonella, but I still wouldn't want to risk making my bird a carrier.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Fun ideas! Wish Chirp would destroy stuff! He only rarely chews on stuff. He's more of a lover than a fighter!