• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Long-term effects of early illness in puppies?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My pittie mix puppy Morgan was born into a fighting ring, to a mother so battle-scarred she barely resembled a dog. At birth Morgan received no veterinary care, and at some point both mother and puppy wound up on the streets, where they were eventually found and picked up by Animal Services.

At the vet, it was discovered that Morgan had parvo, heartworms, tapeworms, roundworms and a severe case of both dehydration and malnutrition. She was hospitalised and successfully treated, and then I adopted her.

Morgan was doing really well for a few weeks, and then she started losing weight so fast it was like watching her deflate. She was eating the same food, getting plenty of exercise, and all vet visits pointed to her being very healthy, but she just...stopped gaining weight.

She's crazy thin. Skin and bones, basically. We walk an average 4+ hours a day, and she eats like six cups of food, but she doesn't have much of either fat or muscle. She's also the laziest dog I have EVER met, which I originally attributed to me being used to high-energy breeds but which I'm starting to think is lethargy.

Having nothing else to go on, I'm wondering whether the terrible illness and trauma she dealt with may have damaged her body in such a way that she can't keep weight on, and has no energy? But I'm at a loss at to how.

So I was wondering whether any of my fellow dog people may have had similar issues in their pups, and if you have any advice on how to help my poor girl. My vet is amazing, but he can't figure out what's going on either.
SOS.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I'm so sorry to hear all of this. Poor Morgan, and I'm sure it's rough on you too.

I doubt that it's related but, something similar happened to my mom's dog after she was diagnosed with diabetes, she got really scary thin, but with the insulin she's back to a healthy weight now.

I hope you can figure out what's going on with your pup.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so sorry for both of you:( Sending good thoughts!!:sadhug2:
Perhaps walking her for only 2 hours or less a day Will help her gain weight? I think giving her so much exerise is terrific, but Maybe moving less can help reenergize to get her energy and weight back on? P

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry to hear all of this. Poor Morgan, and I'm sure it's rough on you too.

I doubt that it's related but, something similar happened to my mom's dog after she was diagnosed with diabetes, she got really scary thin, but with the insulin she's back to a healthy weight now.

I hope you can figure out what's going on with your pup.
Oh wow, diabetes actually sounds like a dead ringer! I should have made the connection after all the research I did on diabetes during my last dog's health scare!

She meets basically every symptom. Her water consumption is staggering.

Yup, we're gonna test for diabetes! Thank you!! :heart:

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Oh wow, diabetes actually sounds like a dead ringer! I should have made the connection after all the research I did on diabetes during my last dog's health scare!

She meets basically every symptom. Her water consumption is staggering.

Yup, we're gonna test for diabetes! Thank you!! :heart:

Glad I could help! I hope it goes well! Good luck! Keep us updated!

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If not diabetes, I'd check for heart issues and maybe have general blood work done and an X ray. I don't know much about heartworm, but wonder if it could have damaged her heart as a pup. Sometimes animals and people with heart issues have a hard time keeping weight on. Their heart has to work so much harder than normal to pump blood and keep oxygen going. Drinking a lot of water can be kidney issues.